Author Topic: A few questions about Ecowitt. Including GW1000, data & recording, etc.  (Read 693 times)

Offline Boognish

Hello, I have been reading here for a little while now. I currently have a GW1000 with numerous Ecowitt sensors and a few Ambient ones. First, I am curious about what the GW1000 can observe and how I can record it.

For example:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

As you can see, I have a WH40 (for better or worse) and WS68. However, this seems imply that it can also record one of the all-in-one weather stations in addition to the others (such as a WS80).
Is that the case? If so, how would all this data be displayed in the WSView app? Or would I need to use something like WeeWX or Meteobridge? I do have a Raspberry Pi but Linux is soooo tedious. I also have a Tempest but not sure there is a way to funnel all the data into one place where I can monitor and/or upload it. 

Also (I do live in the US) I placed an order with Ecowitt directly nearly 10 weeks ago and nothing has shipped. Have asked a few times and they keep blaming COVID, which I find quite hard to believe at this point, then they say it will be a few more weeks. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Finally, anyone have any idea what these things are?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:04:09 PM by Boognish »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: A few questions about Ecowitt. Including GW1000, data & recording, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »
As you can see, I have a WH40 (for better or worse) and WS68. However, this seems imply that it can also record one of the all-in-one weather stations in addition to the others (such as a WS80).
Is that the case? If so, how would all this data be displayed in the WSView app? Or would I need to use something like WeeWX or Meteobridge?
Yes you can...but it is either one or the other. Meaning if you had the WH65 that is the all-in-one then you can choose if you want wind from that or from the WS68. Same thing for rain the WH65 or the WH40. Therefore if you have the WH65 with all its sensors they take second seat if a WH68 or WH40 exists. Same for the other sensors that I didn't mention.
As to where would they these sensors show up ...well first the GW1000 chooses which sensor for each main type to be used. Then this master set is what is then provided to any compatible software. That could be WeeWX or Meteobridge as you mentioned....or it can also be Cumulus MX, or Weather-Display.

I also have a Tempest but not sure there is a way to funnel all the data into one place where I can monitor and/or upload it. 
The Weatherflow Air and Sky are supported by Meteobridge but I haven't heard about the Tempest.

Also (I do live in the US) I placed an order with Ecowitt directly nearly 10 weeks ago and nothing has shipped. Have asked a few times and they keep blaming COVID, which I find quite hard to believe at this point, then they say it will be a few more weeks. Is anyone else experiencing this?
You aren't the only one. Some people have been waiting just as long.

Finally, anyone have any idea what these things are?
That is the new soil temperature sensor. Not out yet. WH34
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: A few questions about Ecowitt. Including GW1000, data & recording, etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »
I would add the following details.
So yes you can have multiple sensors but some sensors trump the data of others if you have them all as far as the GW1000 or HP2551 is concerned.
So in my case I have a WS80 and a WH65 Tri-Wing. If I leave all enabled in the sensor ID page then WS-View will only use the wind speed data and temp/humidity data from the WS80 but rainfall from the WH65 etc
This would also be true if you wanted to capture that data locally via the GW1000 to Weewx or CumulusMX for instance

You can get around this by having multiple GW1000 as I do (so I can test) but it does mean you would have to have multiple instances of Weewx running as well.

Ecowitt is a bit slow to prepare and ship as I understand the team is quite small and they have grown their operations significantly this last 24 months (since inception) which has been massively impacted by courier issues from Shenzen. They are conscious of this and working to improve things with a new website coming along soon.

The WH34 is a water proof sensor that can either measure soil temperature or water temperature depending on which probe is attached. It should be available very soon.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture