Author Topic: Atals acurite lightning module  (Read 721 times)

Offline barberjeff67

Atals acurite lightning module
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »
Hi everyone.  I finally got my Acurite Atlas installed and when having a thunderstorm,  all lightning strikes are listed as 1 mile away. Sometimes it will day interference but will go back to counting. I'm having a severe thunderstorm right now,  this is the first time I'm seeing the lightning fearure. Shouldn't it show different distances? Is there a "learning curve" for the lighting detection? Thanks!:

Offline AlanD96

Re: Atals acurite lightning module
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:09:39 PM »
I've had my Atlas for over a year.  I never look at the "distance" feature.  I've found its accuracy is to say the least, suspect.  As long as it alerts to a storm,   I'm happy.

And pay no attention to the stupid "interference" messages.   It happens with almost all storms and is meaningless. 

I hope you enjoy your Atlas!

Offline barberjeff67

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
Thank you for the info!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
The kind of battery used, and also if the battery is too low can affect the lightning module I have noticed. Use Energizer brand and you should see better results.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:24:41 PM »
Although the actual distance may not be super accurate there is a definite correlation between the strike distance being reported and the approach of a storm to your location. I would recommend pursuing a solution to your problem by following up with Acurite support. You should not be getting only 1 mile readings.

Offline barberjeff67

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
Thanks! I did contact them and did the recommendation  of resetting  the unit and so far, it's better. It picks up interference when the storm is in the distance.  It's now reading different miles away. I use Energizer lithium batteries.  Thanks for the response!