Author Topic: 5-in-1 battery life  (Read 1322 times)

Offline LHnTX

5-in-1 battery life
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »
I've had my 5-in-1 for a number of years. Originally I only needed to change the batteries about once a year.  The life of the batteries is now getting shorter and shorter to the point where they now are needing to be replaced about once a month.  I have noticed that that the solar panel on the 5-in-1 seems to be fogged. I don't actually even know what the solar panel is for, but I'm wondering if this could be part of the reason of the shorter and shorter battery life?  I live in Houston, so cold weather is not an issue for the batteries, but if heat affects them then that could be an issue.  I have the unit on a metal pole that extends about 8 feet of the roof of my home.  I know that lithium batteries are recommended, but I have never used them. I've always used Costco's Kirkland brand batteries. 

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Re: 5-in-1 battery life
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
The solar panel powers the unit during sunshine, so if yours is fogged, it is less efficient or not working at all. 

You can get the upgraded panels here (website indicates the single is currently out of stock):

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-sensors-and-parts/replacement-parts/pro-plus-upgrade-for-5-in-1-weather-sensor.html

And in case you are unaware, there is a remote battery box available for the 5 in 1 so you could move the batteries closer to the ground.

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-sensors-and-parts/accessories/remote-battery-pack-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

Not familiar with the Costco batteries but being in a non-cold environment alkaline batteries should be fine. 

Offline LHnTX

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:05:10 PM »
Thanks!!! that explains why the batteries are not lasting very long.  I do have the battery extension installed already. I still have to climb on a flat roof section of my home to reach it, but that is much easier than climbing the peaked part where the sensor is located.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:31:50 PM »
The solar panel powers the FAN only, it does nothing for the batteries. The issue is very likely the thermo/hygro sensor in the air tunnel. When it becomes corroded, it will eat the batteries up fairly quickly.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
Well, I stand corrected. 

Offline LHnTX

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:15:02 PM »
Ok... I guess that it's time to replace the entire unit then.  thanks!!

Offline least43

• StillWaters - KALDADEV12
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 12:23:34 PM »
I was having a similar problem with poor battery life.  Got tired of messing with batteries so replaced them with a power supply hooked up to a small ups.  Seems to have cured the problem.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
Like DoctorKnow said its probably the temp/ thermo board and that can be replaced you dont need a whole new unit just that thermo board.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline kingkoz

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Like DoctorKnow said its probably the temp/ thermo board and that can be replaced you dont need a whole new unit just that thermo board.

let DoctorKnow know? He recommended "prying off" the solar panel from the unit rather than suggesting you remove the screws holding it onto the main unit! a forum name doesn't make an expert.

Offline ebweather

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 11:53:48 AM »
I can confirm that the temperature sensor board within the air funnel was an cause of a similar issue on my board. More specifically a small capacitor (c23) on the said board started shorting out and eating the batteries. I did not replace the entire board, simply removed the cap (desoldering or snips) and everything went back to normal, the board works fine without the said capacitor. C23 capacitor in question can be seen here:

https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »

let DoctorKnow know? He recommended "prying off" the solar panel from the unit rather than suggesting you remove the screws holding it onto the main unit! a forum name doesn't make an expert.

What screws? The panel is glued on if you have the dual solar head. If you have the single cell, it just snaps in place under the cover.

Offline kingkoz

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »

What screws? The panel is glued on if you have the dual solar head. If you have the single cell, it just snaps in place under the cover.

My unit has 4 screws that split the unit into 2 halves. The underside of the top half has 4 screws holding the solar panel and anemometer onto the top half. I removed those 4 screws, replaced  the single solar panel (original option) with the dual solar panel unit and screwed it back together. My 5 in 1 PC Connect using it about 3.5yrs old. Maybe they changed their assembly in newer models.

Koz

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »

My unit has 4 screws that split the unit into 2 halves. The underside of the top half has 4 screws holding the solar panel and anemometer onto the top half. I removed those 4 screws, replaced  the single solar panel (original option) with the dual solar panel unit and screwed it back together. My 5 in 1 PC Connect using it about 3.5yrs old. Maybe they changed their assembly in newer models.

Koz

You are correct, but with the dual solar panels, each panel is glued to the housing. Once you break down the sensor as you described, you can pry off the panels from behind where that slit is. Once you push the panel enough, you can grab it from the front and peel it off. I took one off and put a new panel in it's place.

Offline kingkoz

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »

Koz

You are correct, but with the dual solar panels, each panel is glued to the housing. Once you break down the sensor as you described, you can pry off the panels from behind where that slit is. Once you push the panel enough, you can grab it from the front and peel it off. I took one off and put a new panel in it's place.

I got ya. Even though I could do that, I got lazy and figured it was easier to just purchase the upgrade from 1 solar panel to the 2 panel option. Plus the added panel to help keep actual temp and reported temp as close as possible. For me, I was seeing a +10 degree difference. Cleaning didn't help so I opted for the upgrade.