Author Topic: My WH80 seems to be using battery  (Read 4602 times)

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
My WH80 seems to be using battery
« on: September 02, 2021, 04:54:38 AM »
My WH80 is currently showing 2.74 volts for the battery now I don't know how long batteries should last but my system has only been running now  5 months and it has lithium AA batteries. From what I've read mots people say they should be changed every year. So why are mine running down like this after 5 months of summer, OK not brilliant summer but long daylight hours. I've seen comments that say 2.75 volts is about as low as it should go.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
Re: My WH80 seems to be using battery
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 06:00:05 AM »
Hi Stuart,

I once had a WH65 where I had to change the batteries about every 50 days. Regardless of whether it was bright sunshine or cloudy winter weather.
Apparently the solar cell was not producing any electricity or the super capacitor was defective. My dealer then exchanged the sensor for me after lengthy discussions. Since then, the batteries have lasted - for more than a year now.
What I mean by that:
Observe this and make sure to have a recording of the SR sensor as well. The retailer defends any inquiries with a lack of sunlight from which you can object.
Share your observations before the warranty expires. As well-founded as possible and with information on the batteries used (Froggit even wanted me to have photos of the batteries) and also with proof of the availability of sunlight (graphs?) at the location.
Good luck!

Oliver

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 06:23:08 AM »
Thanks for that Oliver. I purchased this direct from Ecowitt so I will contact them to see what they say, although I will check first to make sure the top of the device is clean just in case some bird has s**t on it! I upload to Ecowitt so they will be able to check there for solar data.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 02:34:23 AM »
Thanks for that Oliver. I purchased this direct from Ecowitt so I will contact them to see what they say, although I will check first to make sure the top of the device is clean just in case some bird has s**t on it! I upload to Ecowitt so they will be able to check there for solar data.

Stuart

I would say that you definitely have a problem.
BTW, the solar charging is not used for the UV measurement, this is done with a simple light sensitive cell that measures the brightness (lux) which is converted by algorithm to the UV levels.
At the voltage level you report you will start to have problems in measuring wind values, but it will be still transmitting data.
I got about a 1.5 years from my first set of lithium cells in the WS80

G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 05:21:00 AM »
I am going to replace the batteries in my WH80 later this morning, they are down to 2.64 volts this morning. I have emailed support at Ecowitt and asked for the WH80 to be replace under warranty.

Stuart

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:02:24 AM »
Heard back from Ecowitt this morning, they are concerned and want to check the battery status online so sent them a link. I have changed the batteries this morning as I don't want problems happening. I have explained that to Ecowitt as they will see normal voltage now.

Stuart

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 07:33:46 AM »
Even though you explained the battery change, why do I feel that will just confuse them?  :)
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 07:42:53 AM »
Hi!

Even though you explained the battery change, why do I feel that will just confuse them?
In contrast to the WH65, the WS80 actually shows a history of the battery life. In this respect, a battery change should also be shown in the graphics.
If today, for example, 3.12V is reported and next week already 2.70V, an unusual consumption can be quickly detected. In connection with the existing values for solar radiation, the Ecowitt support should also be able to come to logical conclusions.

With the WH65 I always made a note of when I changed the batteries (and which type) and when the new battery warning came. So I was able to prove exactly how long the batteries had lasted when I complained.

Regards, Oliver

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 07:52:51 AM »
Yeah, I agree. But I can see them now wanting to see how well the "new" batteries do.

Of course, they will hopefully just look at the existing data.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 12:39:57 PM »
As Oliver says they can see the battery history on my Ecowitt site, I did check before I changed the batteries to make sure it was visible. I am not willing to leave it and have errors in the readings just to make the case to Ecowitt. If they want to play hard ball that's up to them.

Stuart

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 09:25:52 AM »
I will be very surprised if they 'play hard ball!'
This would not be my experience of how Ecowitt works at all!
They are genuinely customer focused and I am sure that you will get a good outcome.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 05:04:36 AM »
My WH80 has been running for 2 months now on the new batteries and the latest firmware (as advised by Ecowitt support) and has started to show battery fluctuations - this morning down to 3.18 volts. I've emailed Ecowitt for their view.

Stuart

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »
Mmm, I think suspect solar panel or super capacitor, unless your device is not seeing much sunlight!
I changed my battery at the beginning of the year and mine is 3.28V for the lithium cells installed.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »
My WH80 has been running for 2 months now on the new batteries and the latest firmware (as advised by Ecowitt support) and has started to show battery fluctuations - this morning down to 3.18 volts. I've emailed Ecowitt for their view.

Stuart

When you look at the graphed data, does the voltage rise again off the low?. Since we don't know where you reside, or I can't remember, are you getting large temperature fluctuations overnight? (common in the fall season where I am). Not saying your batteries are not draining, but certain factors can effect the voltage of them.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 10:07:30 AM »
Good point, here is my graph as a comparison.
There was a little wobble in Feb which corresponds with a poor weather/snowy period which probably impaired the charging capability. After that it has stayed constant.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »
I heard from Ecowitt and they said they will keep watching. I just looked back at my battery voltage back in August before changing the batteries and it dropped to just over 2.6 volts at its lowest and this was in the summer starting in April and ending on 3rd September when I changed the batteries. New ones show at 1.71 volts each out of the packet. The one I just put back in my WH40 which has been there since last April shows 1.64 volts. Anyway we'll see how it goes.

Stuart

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 05:44:50 AM »
On thread at https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43139.msg441071#msg441071 Gyvate said-

How do you tell at which amount of solar radiation exposure the super-capacitor starts being charged ?
If it's a really good one (S-C), then it charges at low wattage/area.

What outdoor array do you have ?
Because, in fact, the batteries of the WH65/WS69, WS80, WS68 arrays (the Ambient WS-2000/5000/2902 outdoor arrays) are not charged. What is charged is a super-capacitor which can run the "station" (the outdoor sensor array - station = console + sensors) up to two days when not being reloaded after having been fully charged. It's only then that the batteries come in as a backup. This only occurs at special conditions (long[er] time not sufficient sun exposure, very cold - like during polar night as an extreme case).

Still, it would be interesting to know what minimum amount of wattage/m2 of global radiation is needed for the S-C to start being charged.

Based on this update elsewhere from Gyvate I do not believe my WS80 super cap is doing what it should. Yesterday we had pretty much full sun all day, OK winter but still very sunny all day, so on that basis the super cap should be fully charged pretty much and should easily power the WS80 all night, however every night the voltage on the WS80 drops which to me indicates that the battery is being used during the hours of darkness, this morning it is showing 2.86V and was 2.82V yesterday around 0700.

There is simply no way my WS80 will last 12 months on one set of batteries, it is well on its way through 2 sets now since last April when it was installed. Either the super cap is not up to spec or the solar cells are weak.

I'll chase Ecowitt again as they suggested they would keep an eye on it but I simply do not see how they can think this is right.

Stuart

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:48 AM »
I'm very upset with Ecowitt, yesterday I had a reply which says to me they have not bothered to monitor my battery status as they said they would because they asked for the url to check on it despite the fact I had sent it months ago.

Anyway the battery was not that bad yesterday. We had to go out for the day and when we got home I checked again and the batteries were failing, however by then it was dark so I did not want to go out and lower the mast to change them. Finally the batteries gave out completely around midnight. This morning the WS80 has not started again despite it being a bright sunny morning, so I'm convinced either the solar panel or the super cap have failed.

Not good enough Ecowitt!!

Stuart

Offline DelChard

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 04:20:29 AM »
@Broadstairs, I am sure Ecowitt will come good (as others have intimated).

My WS80 (believed to be the new type) has random 60C temp spikes, despite being flashed with the latest firmware. It was purchased in the UK, not from Ecowitt
Emailed Ecowitt 10th Jan, to check that there was not still a firmware issue.
Stated that I was not too concerned, as I use a WH32EP for my main temp reading.
Included my 3 id's and a couple of screen grabs.
They replied on the 11th, saying that they need to send me a replacement T & H, And would I disassemble the shield and photograph the existing sensor.
This I did, and CC'd my UK supplier.
Almost by return, I had an Email to state that this was not one of the new units, and that they would arrange a complete replacement unit, would I supply the order number (screen grab of UK order Email).
Confirmation dispatch Email this morning (20th Jan).

Hoping you soon get a resolution.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 07:37:09 AM »
Chased Ecowitt again earlier today, still no reply from yesterdays email which is why I rattled their cage again today. Getting seriously fed up with their lack of communication and no apparent effort.

Stuart

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 05:25:07 AM »
Well I have had a reply from Ecowitt and they are shipping me a replacement WS80 which is great news. I think either the solar panel or super cap has failed as my new set of batteries have dropped from 3.28V to 3.16 in about 24 hours. I hope this set of batteries lasts till the replacement arrives  :-|

Stuart

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 05:38:17 AM »
Hi!

It would be nice to know whether it is the supercap or the panel. When your replacement arrives, you could try it out. For example, measure the voltage at the panel and check the supercap if necessary.
I once had a WH65 that ate batteries. However, I had to send it back to Froggit and was unfortunately unable to test it.
But it would probably help for future problems.

I don't think it's that difficult to replace the supercap - you just have to know how to get at it and which type it is. The panel is a different matter - you should be able to buy a replacement from Ecowitt as possible through Ambient Weather.
But of course such tinkering does not make sense as a warranty claim - the device simply has to work after purchase.

Oliver

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 05:40:31 AM »
That's very good news and no less than I would have expected from Ecowitt and their excellent customer service!
They maybe slow to respond some times but they nearly always deliver when it counts even if it means a nudge or two in reminders.
So the lesson here is patience is a virtue!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 06:10:53 AM »
I agree patience is a virtue but I first reported this at the beginning of September 2021, so I think I had been quite tolerant. Anyway I will see what I can do once the replacement arrives. Not sure how easy it will be to get it apart but it will be fund trying!

Stuart

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 06:56:19 AM »
I just pulled a WS80 apart, when it comes to it, ping me and I'll give you some tips/pics of the internals.
Mark