Author Topic: WS-1001 Firmware v. 2.2.2 Now Available  (Read 10578 times)

Offline stuff2447

WS-1001 Firmware v. 2.2.2 Now Available
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
This version restores the graph on the front screen after a power interruption. 

Available for download here: https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws1001-wifi

Scott Tuff
Hollywood, FL

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
Re: WS-1001 Firmware v. 2.2.2 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »
Not sure if what I have done wrong (The fix provided by this release seemed pretty useful to me).

Downloaded this file and applied - upgrading from 2.1.4 that was on there from when I got the WS last Christmas. Update appears to have gone through and WS reports that it is running 2.2.2. But now I can't get the console to talk to either the sensor array or the other sensor (internal) sensor unit.

Have tried removing batteries from both sensor units, reset button on main array (red LED lights up for a few seconds when I do this), powered off the console from mains in many combinations. I have tried the menu option for re-registering the sensors, even downloaded first of the old versions of firmware on the wiki (2.1.7) in an attempt to downgrade but that would not take.

At my wits end. Any suggestions?

Edit
Console connects fine to WiFi network. Attempting to contact supplier but not having much joy with that either.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:29:30 AM by Pooley »

Offline Pooley

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:17:16 AM »
So, I sent the console and indoor sensor back to the supplier at their request as the console did not appear to be receiving RF signals from either the indoor or outdoor units after the upgrade. He confirmed that it was indeed not working properly so has sent back a new console along with my original indoor unit and according to my tracking # the courier has dropped it off back at my house today.

So I am wondering if I should chance it and try the software upgrade again (assuming that the replacement console is not running 2.2.2) and see what happens? I really don't want to be without the WS for another 3 weeks, but I would really lie to have the functionality provided by that version of the software (preservation of the graphs in the event of a power interruption since the unit doesn't have battery backup).

Just wondering if maybe it was too bigger jump to go from 2.1.4 to 2.2.2 in one big go and if I were to attempt again I should upgrade one version of software at a time...

Offline Eno

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »
So what version does the replacement console have? Did the supplier have anything to say about the software upgrade as a possible cause of the failure? Coincidence would seem a stretch.

Offline Pooley

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:03:48 AM »
Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for prompting me back into action on this thread.

So this is what has happened. I received a complete replacement set which is running 2.2.1

Thought about applying 2.2.2 but before I did I had a bit of a look at the zip file that is in the download. Most interesting for me was this line in the main.ini file under the Option category. The line being the one saying
Code: [Select]
Frequency=915M. I am assuming that this refers to the transmitter frequency for the sensors. This is the designated frequency for the Americas. I live in Australia and our designated frequency is 433Mhz and I am thinking that maybe this is what caused the issue in the first place (I thought it was prudent to not mention this to the supplier :oops:)

The other thing I did was contact Ambient Weathers support section questioning whether the differing frequencies may have been the cause for my original unit to stop working. The guy that responded said maybe but that he couldn't really be sure as they only supported their own models of hardware although he did admit that their units and the units from my supplier in Australia were most likely sourced from the same Chinese factory  :shock:

I then questioned as to whether he knew if I changed the line on the ini file from
Frequency=915M to
Frequency=433M whether that would work but he couldn't answer that question. I have had a look at the equivalent file from the the FOSHK website http://www.foshk.com/Weather_Professional/HP1003.htm and the only difference I can see between the main.ini files for the two different types is the Frequency line however I can't be sure if there might be something else hard coded in the Easyweather executable or one of the dll files contained in the update folder.

So for the moment I will sit tight with the console running 2.2.1 and see what happens. At some stage I'll probably get up onto the roof and swap out the main unit with replacement that I received as my original is still having troubles with humidity readings as I have mentioned in this other thread - http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25829.0. Will see what happens with that as well.

Offline pcorbridge

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »
Hi,

Just wanted to add to this thread.

I am based in the UK and recently bought a clone of the Ambient Weather Station (Maplins).

As mentioned earlier, living outside of the US the unit runs with a frequency of 433Mhz.

I decided to update EasyWeather to the latest version available V2.2.2.

Following the update the, I had the same symptom in that the console would not pick up either the outdoor or indoor sensor.
In the 'About' information on the console it also confirmed the frequency was now 915M.

Wishing I'd seen your thread prior to the update I though I'd nothing to lose as I'd bricked the unit so did the following....

Downloaded the V2.2.2 EasyWeather to my PC.

Then updated the main.ini file as follows:

Version=2.2.3
Update Time=2015-02-02 12:00:00
Frequency=433M

And the update.ini file as follows:

Version=2.2.3
Update Time=2015-02-02 12:00:00

Copied the software from my PC to the SD card and performed the update process on the console as per the manual.

And hey presto all is now working again.
The console now thinks I'm on V2.2.3 of the software but the frequency is now back to 433M and everything is working fine.

Therefore, going forward any new EasyWeather software updates, I will download to my PC, and update the main.ini and update.ini file so the frequency is 433M.

This should then allow EasyWeather software updates to work OK on non-US units.

Hope this help.

Phil

Offline gregvet

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
Previous version 2.1.9.  Just updated to 2.2.2 about 10 minutes ago.  Had to re-enter my location, time zone and re-establish my WiFi and Wunderground link to my PWS.  Other than that, seemed to go well.  Any other settings I may have missed?

Offline Pooley

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:54:06 PM »
Hi,

Just wanted to add to this thread.

<snip>

Hope this help.

Phil

Sensational Phil!! - You are a braver man than I.

2.2.2 is a really worthwhile upgrade (preservation of graph data when power goes out) so I'm going to go ahead and do it as well  UU

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
I just updated from ver 2.1.9 to 2.2.2 and it seems to be working properly. It seems to save chart data when the power cord is removed.

If saving data can be done without a backup battery, why was the data ever allowed to be lost in earlier versions of the firmware?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:43:49 PM by btcompute »

Offline Pooley

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 02:59:14 AM »
Following Phil's instructions above I have successfully done this now. Everything appears to be OK and data is indeed preserved when the power is restored. The only thing that has happened now that has changed is the the "Current Weather" graphic now does not show when scrolling through the graphs.

If I go to the settings page and change the current weather field there and then go back to the main screen the current weather graphic shows but then as you scroll through the graphs the current weather graphic doesn't show.

No great loss - If I want to see the current weather I just have a look outside  :-P

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »
Pooley,

It sounds as though different versions of this weather station behave differently.
I have the Ambient Weather version. I was able to get the current weather to display as an option selected by the Graph button by editing the Main.ini file.
The file can be accessed by connecting your display panel to your computer.

Instructions on how to edit that file can be found in this thread(reply #14):
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=26455.0

After editing the file you should find the weather display as a graph button option.