Author Topic: can't connect to my SSID  (Read 2855 times)

Offline mikewebb99

can't connect to my SSID
« on: January 13, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »
My Christmas Present is up and running!!!! \:D/   The present is a WS-1001-WIFI Observer weather station  (KCAPLEAS37)

I'm having a curious problem, connecting to my local LAN. I have Comcast Xfinity Broadband. I also have several security cameras, that use a range extender to function. When I do a scan for SSID, to connect to my main LAN, The WS-1001 console never see's the main network, but can see the extender.... This happens with the console in the same room as the Comcast Cable Modem, in close proximity, as well as in other parts of the house . I also have smart phones and tablets that can access this SSID w/o problem.  The connection to the Range extender is on Channel eleven @  2.4 GHZ, the Cable Modem is using the same channel for 2.4 GHZ.... It's not that it won't connect, I can't even see that the main SSID exists... ](*,)

Network Hardware: Xfinity (Cisco Model DPC3939 DOCSIS 3.0 16x4 Wireless Residential Voice Gateway)
Netgear WN2000RPT  Range Extender/Repeater Firmware  V1.0.1.24NA

Weather Station: WS-1001
Hardware Version: 2.0
OS Version: 3.0.9
Firmware : 2.1.9

any newer firmware or other updates that might resolve this ??? Any Ideas??

Mike Webb

Offline Welly

• WellingtonWeatherUK
Re: can't connect to my SSID
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
Hi Mike

My only thoughts are as the device won't even see the SSID, I'm wondering if you have only wireless N enabled on the Cisco and the WS1001 does not support it.

I've had a quick look on the internet and found the manual - no help at all as it does not give any WIFI specs that I can see.

I would start by looking at the Cisco to see if you can enable Wireless B+G. Make sure it's not set at 5ghz. You could turn off the security, but I would not think it's that because it can't even see the SSID.

Take a backup of your router config before you start messing around if possible (or write down the settings) as you could impact on the rest of your wireless setup.

A great little smart phone app for android is WIFI analyser. You can look at the AP's and see what they're set to. Ideally you want to mimic the extender setup (except for the channel its set on).

Good luck

Rob

Offline mikewebb99

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:34:11 PM »
Rob;

Thanks for the ideas... The Cisco router has both  G and N support, and in fact I have a separate SSID for both "Boss" and "Boss-2". These are both active and in use by other devices. The Range Extender is "Boss_ext" (you may notice a pattern... :grin: )

I sent the same inquiry (as in the OP) to Ambient Support, and got a nice e-mail back from one of the Support folks. He indicated that they were aware of this issue, and were able to reproduce it in house. He seemed to think that if I turned off the extender, then I would see the G SSID in this case Boss..They are working on a fix, and as soon as I hear something I will update this thread...

Thanks again for your time...

Mike

Offline mikewebb99

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
Check out the Wiki for new 1001 firmware. This new firmware resolved my SSID issue mentioned above

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
Check out the Wiki for new 1001 firmware. This new firmware resolved my SSID issue mentioned above

Mike, can you tell me where the wiki is? New member here and I can't see it anywhere on this site.

Offline mikewebb99

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
Sorry my bad.... I was just there and assumed the world was there with me.... ](*,)

https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws1001-wifi

This is where Ambient keeps all their info about various weather stations

Mike

anything