Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 204038 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
One thing about New Mexico...
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
If it rains even a little, or a lot, the summer evenings are very comfortable.

Light breeze, temps in the 70s, a touch of humidity, smell of wet desert sand. And the occasional moon lighting up remnants of thunderstorm anvils and dying thunderheads.

Local weather station near me:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNMRIORA11&month=6&day=25&year=2010
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
Do most summers go by without the temperature getting to 100 degrees and above?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »
Do most summers go by without the temperature getting to 100 degrees and above?

It gets up to around the lower to mid 90s through the summer. If it's a really wet monsoon, temps are cooler (sometimes 20 degrees cooler). It's a bit unusual to see temperatures (at least in my neck of the woods) hit the triple digits. If you want to avoid triple digit temps, places to live/visit in New Mexico include: Ruidoso, Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Chama, Raton and Taos.

Places that do see triple digits: most of southwestern and southern New Mexico. And sometimes the eastern parts of the state: Clayton, Tucumcari, Santa Rosa, Portales, Clovis, Roswell, Carlsbad, and Hobbs.

Other areas that see temperatures close to what I see in my area are western and northwestern areas of the state (Gallup, Grants, Farmington). Central New Mexico occasionally does see triple digit heat, but not every year. This year in late May it was pretty bad. Last year in late May, it was very comfortable, then the heat came. The year before that, it was hot and cool off and on.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:55:15 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »

Light breeze, temps in the 70s, a touch of humidity, smell of wet desert sand. And the occasional moon lighting up remnants of thunderstorm anvils and dying thunderheads.

Drop the top and cruise weather for sure!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:52:14 AM »

Drop the top and cruise weather for sure!

Kind of makes me wish I had a drop top car. Dad came close to buying a convertible Mustang (V6), but ultimately went with the V8 powered Mustang GT.

Well, even if one doesn't own a drop top, they could drop the windows or open up the sunroof.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
Well...thanks to remnants of TD Alex...the swamp cooler sucks...and the rain now floods.

Yesssss...monsoon is here.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »
Well...thanks to remnants of TD Alex...the swamp cooler sucks...and the rain now floods.

Oklahoma is now getting the remnants of Alex as well...light rain will give way to heavier rain today.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »

Oklahoma is now getting the remnants of Alex as well...light rain will give way to heavier rain today.

Yeah you guys are in deep you know what compared to where I'm at. They're predicting two to four inches today...compared to southeastern New Mexico which has seen very heavy rain over the last few days. We love the rain, just not all at once!  \:D/

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »
El Paso has gotten its share but I've been pretty lucky... so far!

Clouds the last few days and the month's first rain just ended a bit ago with only 0.14" with a 2.29"/hr max rate.
20 degree drop in an hour had me worry about hail but no, only rain.

BUT - the day's not over and it is... Along Comes Tomorrow.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »
It'll be dry up here for the 4th.

Cool. If it weren't for the Hayward disaster in the Gulf..I wouldn't mind the TSesses coming up here.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »
And as that rain came down yesterday, I'm looking at my site showing me "Sunny" underneath a cam pic that was pure wet & grey.

I went outside to check on something and, sure enough, it WAS "Sunny" but with a 2" per hour rain rate!

Looking in WDisplay, the "MyTown" weather thing showed "Sunny/Moderate Rain". I wouldn't mind having that show on the page instead of one or the other.

Today is a beautiful 92* day with 3 or 4 MPH breezes - just enough to give my Flag a little life!

Happy Independence Day!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
We've had SSW winds around 15 mph. People's backyard barbeques are drifting into the swamp cooler. Something smells like crap- I wonder if someone is grilling vegetables.

It's a nice 89 right now (as I post this.)

Got up at 10 this morning, went to the kitchen, baked desserts (cupcakes FTW). Then had breakfast, and then went over to my neighbors house and gave them some of the desserts. I had a second breakfast. I'm full.

Now to grill burgers.

Happy Independence Day!

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »
98F and hardly a breeze an hour ago - 85 with many 30+mph gusts now...

Glad I didn't clean the pool an hour ago like I had intended...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
Thunderstorms in your area?

We've been dodged twice by Mother Nature here...we want the rain.  At least it didn't rain on the 4th.

It's humid and hot out in my area. I've been crushing cans with a crusher all morning in a hot garage..with my Dad..on his birthday. Bleh. LOL. :roll: :lol:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
Had some sporadic rainfall and some flashes in the distance - nothing big 0.17 over the evening/morning hours. I dodged yet another bullet which is scary. It'll catch up to me.

This weekend might be when that happens...

Heavy rain warning for the entire weekend for this end of the state as the system that's down the river towards Laredo, etc heads this way.

A friend in Laredo said they closed 3 of 4 International Bridges earlier this week from that last storm and the river hadn't even crested at that point yet .

Rain is good unless you have drainage/flooding problems on your property - like I do. I'm still working on that project - that Tampa road trip took 3 weeks from that.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:26:38 PM »
Had some sporadic rainfall and some flashes in the distance - nothing big 0.17 over the evening/morning hours. I dodged yet another bullet which is scary. It'll catch up to me.

This weekend might be when that happens...

Heavy rain warning for the entire weekend for this end of the state as the system that's down the river towards Laredo, etc heads this way.

A friend in Laredo said they closed 3 of 4 International Bridges earlier this week from that last storm and the river hadn't even crested at that point yet .

Rain is good unless you have drainage/flooding problems on your property - like I do. I'm still working on that project - that Tampa road trip took 3 weeks from that.

I'll be in El Paso sometime in the next couple of weeks (funeral). Look forward to the rain LOL.

Up here we've been forecasted for it this weekend. Hopefully we get a blast of it.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 11:42:46 PM »
I'll be in El Paso sometime in the next couple of weeks (funeral). Look forward to the rain LOL.

Oh oh. Not grandma, is it?

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 02:05:23 AM »

Oh oh. Not grandma, is it?

Nope. Her ex-husband (and his second wife lives in Missouri, and she didn't take it well).

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 03:03:20 PM »
My condolences just the same, Chris.

That heavy rain warning cleared last nite but it's getting a bit dark in some areas of the sky. Monsoon season sure is goofy down here.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
My condolences just the same, Chris.

That heavy rain warning cleared last nite but it's getting a bit dark in some areas of the sky. Monsoon season sure is goofy down here.

We just got spit on up here..that was all.  :evil:
Might see the same tomorrow.  ](*,)

And thanks for the condolences.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
A mile away from me is getting flooded. I'm getting spit.

We live down stream from that mile away intersection. But we live on top of a hill..and the arroyo is half a mile away, down the hill.

I feel like I'm being teased here.  ](*,) #-o

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 04:20:26 AM »
I haven't even had spit in close to a month.

But I've been able to watch rain pass by and smell it if that counts.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Another 0.33" overnite (0.52 "storm") and looks like a few more drops coming up the pike...

Just enough to keep me from getting anything done in the yard but the skeeters seem to enjoy it...

One good thing about living out here is I don't have that stinky, dirty, oily asphalt smell when it rains anymore. Now it's just "rain", grasses, flowers & bushes, toxic weeds & desert vegetation and those miserable Mexican Elders. No, not my neighbors. These bitter-smelling trees that shed leaves 2 or 3 times a year and refuse to die.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
Another 0.33" overnite (0.52 "storm") and looks like a few more drops coming up the pike...

Just enough to keep me from getting anything done in the yard but the skeeters seem to enjoy it...

One good thing about living out here is I don't have that stinky, dirty, oily asphalt smell when it rains anymore. Now it's just "rain", grasses, flowers & bushes, toxic weeds & desert vegetation and those miserable Mexican Elders. No, not my neighbors. These bitter-smelling trees that shed leaves 2 or 3 times a year and refuse to die.

Well, after being teased, mother nature is promising us rain. Flash Flood Warning has been issued for my area..and the storm looks pretty nasty.  =D> \:D/

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
Aaaand...it missed me. By half a mile.   #-o

anything