Author Topic: Signal Problem  (Read 5633 times)

Offline bobsway

Signal Problem
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
Hi All, I am brand new here. Bob, from Rochester, NY. Our NOAA frequency for years has been 162.400 and still is. I cannot get a signal for the past few days. Does anyone have info. on this/ i am picking up Buffalo NY signal very weak and staticy (162.550)  ???  Help Please!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Signal Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »
   Welcome to the forum from Oregon, Ohio located near the shore of Lake Erie.  Sorry I don't know what freq is the right one but this is a list of all the freqs used by the NWS: I hope these help.  Good Luck!!
Mark

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »
Hi All, I am brand new here. Bob, from Rochester, NY. Our NOAA frequency for years has been 162.400 and still is. I cannot get a signal for the past few days. Does anyone have info. on this/ i am picking up Buffalo NY signal very weak and staticy (162.550)  ???  Help Please!

I don't know about your station/transmitter, but if you need to hear it, you can click on this link:

http://audioplayer.wunderground.com/dampier/rochester.mp3.m3u

that is a link from this page:

http://www.wunderground.com/wxradio/index.html

Welcome to the forum and good luck!  :)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline bobsway

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:29:18 PM »
Thanks Guys for the quick come back. I know my frequency is 162.400 in Rochester, NY. I have been listening to it for years. I am using a Radio Shack Pro 106 digital trunking handheld scanner. i also tuned into 162.400 on my old scanner and that is also no signal

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
Sounds like their transmitter is acting up.  Do you use an outside antenna or just the built-in radio antennas?

Found this list of NY stations:

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/newyork.php
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »
Sounds like their transmitter is acting up.  Do you use an outside antenna or just the built-in radio antennas?

Found this list of NY stations:

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/newyork.php

Since you're confident of the freq. and 2 separate rxr's at home no can longer get it, I would go along with Mark's suggestion of their tx'r acting up or a new closer tx'r who's frequency is close enough that its' carrier overrides and blocks NOAA's in your area.

Offline bobsway

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:12:08 AM »
I am using the uilt in antenna, as I have for years. Now when I go to the "On Line "  site of NOAA and click on the audio broadcast for my area, it comes in loud & clear over my computer. Is that a different frequency I am picking up on my computer through Windows Media Player?

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »
Transmitter may be still running, just at lower power or it might be the same broadcast on a different transmitter.  Do you hear any beeping in the audio from the online broadcast?

...or a new closer tx'r who's frequency is close enough that its' carrier overrides and blocks NOAA's in your area.

Reminds me of the time years ago I learned I could block dad's easy listening FM station by tuning my radio 10.8 Mhz lower.   O:)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:23:44 AM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline bobsway

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »
No beeping from the on line broadcast.

Offline bobsway

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:27:31 AM »
I guess I will take a ride to Radio Shack tomorrow and see if theirs work on 162.400  Thanks for all your help. Many good ideas,,, I'll be back for sure.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 12:32:13 AM »
Just listened to it myself and did not hear any neither.  Beeps can indicate the transmitter is signaling it is running reduced power.

Looking at the list on Weather underground the online station shows to be receiving the same frequency and transmitter (KHA53) as you are missing.  But it's possible they also lost signal yet live in an area where they can pickup up a good signal from another transmitter (frequency) and have since switched their radio to keep the link alive but have not changed the info on Weather underground.
Mark 

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:42:09 AM »
Transmitter may be still running, just at lower power or it might be the same broadcast on a different transmitter.  Do you hear any beeping in the audio from the online broadcast?

...or a new closer tx'r who's frequency is close enough that its' carrier overrides and blocks NOAA's in your area.

Reminds me of the time years ago I learned I could block dad's easy listening FM station by tuning my radio 10.8 Mhz lower.   O:)

I like the little angel smiley at the end of that statement. Sounds like you were also a little trouble maker growing as I was. :twisted:

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 12:48:54 AM »
The online station finally ID'd.  They're tuned to 162.525 (WNG539) instead.  Different transmitter.  So I bet they lost signal on 162.4 also.  :-k

...I like the little angel smiley at the end of that statement. Sounds like you were also a little trouble maker growing as I was. :twisted:

Not me.   :lol:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:51:00 AM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline daswx

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:34 AM »

Had to love those poorly-shielded IF cans!!! :-)
I remember one of the regional FM stations was using its standby tube transmitter and it put out a spurious that wiped out another station (a company CO-OWNED station, BTW!!!) exactly 1 MHz down the dial...
And about 30 airline miles distant!!!!!
The engineers wouldn't believe me...then they listened on their own receiver at their studios ("Gee....we don't usually listen 'off-air'...."!! ](*,))
Did I mention....the problem was fixed in under an hour....and at least one engineer was :oops:!!!

anything