Author Topic: XML/CAP 1.1 Feed  (Read 1724 times)

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
XML/CAP 1.1 Feed
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:29:31 PM »
I have been forced to put a discaimer on my website due to the XML/CAP 1.1 Feeds recent troubles.  It has completely missed some Watches and Warnings, and has included us in others that are in adjacent counties.  The National Weather Service Needs to get this thing figured out soon.  I realize the Atom Top Script and Curly's AtomFeed Script are not to blame! Both Scripts display the garbage put out by the XML/CAP 1.1 Feeds. The National Weather Service needs to fix how they are issuing the Advisories!  Here is the diclaimer now displayed on all of my web pages!

There is a problem with the "Experimental XML/CAP 1.1 Feed which displays Watches, Warnings, and Advisories issued by the National Weather Service!  Occasionally It shows counties adjacent to affected counties as having the same Advisory.  Also it has "missed" issuing other advisories!  The script my website uses reads the info as issued by the National Weather Service!  Lately ( last 8-12 weeks) some of the advisories have been issued incorectly! The XML/CAP 1.1 Feed though experimental is scheduled to be the primary delivery method of Advisories! There is no transition date as of yet.  Peotoneweather.com was being proactive in implementing the XML/CAP 1.1 Feed as the primary source for this websites Advisories!  I may have to change this if the National Weather Service does not fix the issue soon.  Remember NOAA Weather Radio is always the best option for Severe Weather Info.  There is a link to it in the Navigation menu to the left.  I apologise for any inconvienience!

I hate giving bad info to the public ](*,)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:58:37 PM by dasman »
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Re: XML/CAP 1.1 Feed
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »
I have been forced to put a discaimer on my website due to the XML/CAP 1.1 Feeds recent troubles.  It has completely missed some Watches and Warnings, and has included us in others that are in adjacent counties.  The National Weather Service Needs to get this thing figured out soon.  I realize the Atom Top Script and Curly's AtomFeed Script are not to blame! Both Scripts display the garbage put out by the XML/CAP 1.1 Feeds. The National Weather Service needs to fix how they are issuing the Advisories!  Here is the diclaimer now displayed on all of my web pages!

There is a problem with the "Experimental XML/CAP 1.1 Feed which displays Watches, Warnings, and Advisories issued by the National Weather Service!  Occasionally It shows counties adjacent to affected counties as having the same Advisory.  Also it has "missed" issuing other advisories!  The script my website uses reads the info as issued by the National Weather Service!  Lately ( last 8-12 weeks) some of the advisories have been issued incorectly! The XML/CAP 1.1 Feed though experimental is scheduled to be the primary delivery method of Advisories! There is no transition date as of yet.  Peotoneweather.com was being proactive in implementing the XML/CAP 1.1 Feed as the primary source for this websites Advisories!  I may have to change this if the National Weather Service does not fix the issue soon.  Remember NOAA Weather Radio is always the best option for Severe Weather Info.  There is a link to it in the Navigation menu to the left.  I apologize for any inconvenience!

I hate giving bad info to the public ](*,)

This is totally aggravating! I believe Ken has made multiple suggestions to some of their contacts about the best way to handle the distribution of products that
affect more than the intended area but evidently it falls on deaf ears.
It just seems to me that the conversion to a different format "may" have been warranted but they should have done just that converted or migrated to the new system and not completely upset the way things were working. Fortunately the way things run around here when I switch from the Z code to the C code it didn't make a huge problem with the exception of a time or two when a Special Weather Statement seemed out of place but fortunately the way the system was moving it had a chance of crossing here before getting there :lol:

I'm with you I hate giving wrong information and strive hard not to and I know you do and the rest here do as well!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
I suggest you both send emails to the webmaster of www.weather.gov (address is in the footer of the page) expressing the issue with the ATOM/CAP feeds.  I've found them to be responsive to the mail messages, however getting them fixed may be a longer-term issue depending on the programming team responsible for the databases and feeds.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »
This is totally aggravating! I believe Ken has made multiple suggestions to some of their contacts about the best way to handle the distribution of products that
It just seems to me that the conversion to a different format "may" have been warranted but they should have done just that converted or migrated to the new system and not completely upset the way things were working. Fortunately the way things run around here when I switch from the Z code to the C code it didn't make a huge problem with the exception of a time or two when a Special Weather Statement seemed out of place but fortunately the way the system was moving it had a chance of crossing here before getting there

I'm with you I hate giving wrong information and strive hard not to and I know you do and the rest here do as well!

Its very upsetting!  Tonight is the 3rd time for sure that a Severe T-Storm watch has been missed for my county!  I've also had an Excessive Heat Warning show for the past 3 days!  Thats because my county shares a border with Cook County (which did have an Excesive Heat Warning).  I have also had 2 different Severe T-Stom Watches and 1 Warning show for my county when there was none.  Again I borderd a count which had the Watches and the Warning!  I emailed  my NWS office "LOT" and they said they don't contol the  XML/CAP 1.1 Feed.  Luckily Bill Morris from LOT saw fit to forward my email to NWS.  But one has to wonder if what you said is true aboout it falling on deaf ears.  It was nice though to atleast get a response from LOT.
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:16:55 PM »
I took Ken's advice earlier last week and mailed my local WFO contact and he we prompt in returning my message and admitted their office had no control what so ever over the feed but he did forward my message to the responsible part or team but I haven't heard any news from them.

Hopefully they didn't take me as the wife does sometimes...saying I gripe too much  :grin:
It's not actually that I'm griping but questioning and seeking a solution  :grin:

It's probably one of those situations where "they meant well" but it just hasn't ended up that way ](*,)

In time we'll reach the goal  :lol:

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
I suggest you both send emails to the webmaster of www.weather.gov (address is in the footer of the page) expressing the issue with the ATOM/CAP feeds.  I've found them to be responsive to the mail messages, however getting them fixed may be a longer-term issue depending on the programming team responsible for the databases and feeds.

Best regards,
Ken

OK!

I took Ken's advice and just emailed the webmaster of www.weather.gov .  So now they have this one from me plus the one that LOT forwarded!
Can I suggest that everyone who uses the scripts drop an email to them?
Somebody once told me the squeeky wheel gets the grease!
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
It just seems to me that the conversion to a different format "may" have been warranted but they should have done just that converted or migrated to the new system and not completely upset the way things were working. Fortunately the way things run around here when I switch from the Z code to the C code it didn't make a huge problem with the exception of a time or two when a Special Weather Statement seemed out of place but fortunately the way the system was moving it had a chance of crossing here before getting there

Its very upsetting!  Tonight is the 3rd time for sure that a Severe T-Storm watch has been missed for my county!  I've also had an Excessive Heat Warning show for the past 3 days!  Thats because my county shares a border with Cook County (which did have an Excesive Heat Warning).  I have also had 2 different Severe T-Stom Watches and 1 Warning show for my county when there was none.  Again I borderd a count which had the Watches and the Warning!  I emailed  my NWS office "LOT" and they said they don't contol the  XML/CAP 1.1 Feed.  Luckily Bill Morris from LOT saw fit to forward my email to NWS.  But one has to wonder if what you said is true aboout it falling on deaf ears.  It was nice though to atleast get a response from LOT.

Then consider changing to the NOAA Rss Advisory. It think it still works, though don't know how much longer.  However, it won't work for multi-counties.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:47:57 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

anything