Author Topic: Tornado warnings a plenty tonight  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Tornado warnings a plenty tonight
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »
   Wild night tonight.  There are 11 tornado warnings currently on GRL3.  The police reported a tornado on the ground in Cullpepper Arkansas, and damage in Wrightsville, Arkansas.  I hope these things are not the makings of a trend!!

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Tornado warnings a plenty tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
High risk again for the weekend. At least for tonight. High Risk covers most of Arkansas.

If a tornado warning is issued, seek shelter NOW!!

It appears that since this is the second outbreak so far for April in less than a week...May might be extremely active.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:00:21 AM by Chris H. »
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »
And the level 3 network appears down again.  All yellow, 0% up.   Would not want to be a spotter/chaser in Sheridan AR, with 20+ minute stale radar scans.......

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:43:58 AM »
You can definitely tell when the severe content ramps up the level 3 distribution system servers start slowing down. Just got an email I have no KFCX and after checking I found the email was absolutely correct! No KFCX and very little anything else #-o

I would really consider a paid subscription but since I am not 100% sure where the data is bottle necking and if it is killing those feeds right off of NOAAPORT
I haven't

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:56 AM »
   I am getting GRL3 out of KLZK Little Rock & KNQA Memphis with no problems.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:54:47 AM »
And the level 3 network appears down again.  All yellow, 0% up.   Would not want to be a spotter/chaser in Sheridan AR, with 20+ minute stale radar scans.......

Andrew

WT*?!

GRR..AGAIN?!!

This explains why my GRLevel3 radar data (coincidentally centered over Sheridan, AR) is still on the same page and the Update box at the lower right keeps counting down from 1:00 in a red highlight.

You think this is bad? The freakin' Weather Channel plays a MOVIE during all of this. Stupid NBC.

Okay I'm off my soapbox.

http://weather.noaa.gov/monitor/radar3/

I forgot the other website that indicated the data site.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:56:19 AM by Chris H. »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 12:57:42 AM »
   I am getting GRL3 out of KLZK Little Rock & KNQA Memphis with no problems.

It took a little while to get the data on my computer, but so far, the sites are all red and the update counter is still counting down from 1:00

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 01:00:09 AM »
   I must be on the something different cause the only one I did not get was the terminal doppler in Memphis.  I am watching Paducah KY now and it is updating.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:01:41 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:54 AM »
  I must be on the something different cause the only one I did not get was the terminal doppler in Memphis.  I am watching Paducah KY now and it is updating.

KLZK is periodic right now. It's probably bottlenecking.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:04:07 AM »
I'm only getting sporadic updates from PAH.  Last one is 11:24.

PAH website is doing the same thing.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
   My KPAH is up to date at 1:06:38. Maybe certain "trunks" are jammed up.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 01:34:11 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:35:43 AM by Chris H. »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 01:52:33 AM »
Settling down?  Nor TORs right now, only SVRs.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 02:01:41 AM »
It appears to be.

A sudden and random flare (or so it seems) of severe thunderstorms is forming along the TX/Mex border near the KDFX site. Interesting.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »
All my data is back up normally this morning. Apparently there is not enough resources within the system to handle the added stress of the higher resolution
images now being processed and when there is more demand for images as in recent outbreaks. Maybe the gubment will allocate funding for the system and or backbone to be upgraded :-P :-P    I did notice something different this round I didn't see last time...I lost my ability to connect to the warning servers both automated through a script and manually..must have really been a busy night!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
They really need to load balance the server(s? or buy more than one  :lol: ) .  There is  no reason for 49 other states to lose coverage cause there is an outbreak in one state.... 

Funny, found an article from 199? date and most of content was hidden but the subject and abstract were there.  Wonder if they ever did this...
Andrew

"Author:  Zabrai, A. Zhongqi Jing Peery, N.
Nat. Severe Storms Lab., NOAA, Norman, OK;Abstract:Abstract In response to increasing user demand for additional capability and improved performance, the National Weather Service (NWS) launched a product improvement project to replace legacy computing platforms in the Next Generation Weather Radar (NEXRAD) radars, also known as the Weather Surveillance Radar-1988 Doppler (WSR-88D), with modern equipment. The first phase of this project targets the Radar Product Generator (RPG). Among many objectives of this project are hardware independence and portability of application software. In addition, long term viability and supportability of the NEXRAD system requires a modular and scalable architecture. To address these critical design requirements a distributed architecture based on open system standards has been adopted. This architecture is based on commercial workstation platforms in a networked environment. This paper presents the open system architecture and design issues associated with the RPG "

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »
Andrew, it sort of seems like you must be one of the few that has viewed that document!  Surely must have not been implemented server wide LOL!

They really need to consider something to attack the problem! It would be totally crippled if there were more than one part of the country under the gun at the same time!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
    Last night I was pretty upset about the Weather Channel.  Today has been better.  They have been covering the severe storms for the past 4+ hours.  The biggest saving grace for the WC is Dr. Forbes, the severe weather expert/analyst.
I love to watch his analysis of storms.  He was showing wind shear on the vis satellite image earlier today.  I give him at least a thumbs up!!! =D> =D>
Wish he was on a whole lot more.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »
    Last night I was pretty upset about the Weather Channel.  Today has been better.  They have been covering the severe storms for the past 4+ hours.  The biggest saving grace for the WC is Dr. Forbes, the severe weather expert/analyst.

I agree with you! I remember way back when TWC was new I was working in the CATV field as a field service tech then and everyone you talked with was so much in love with the new channel!  But back then even in the Weather Star days there was more than just the warnings scrolled across the screen, there was weather related coverage 24/7. I guess there is only so far they can go with weather and still be productive from a cash flow standpoint but then again greed has put a damper on a lot of good things lately in the world I suppose :-(

I remember back before I became as heavily interested in weather as I am now turning over to ch 19 in those days anytime a black cloud appeared threatening.
Now when in question I just log on to here! If it's happening in the world of weather somebody here will know about it and have an answer :lol:

Looking back now on the days when TWC was going strongest I would have never believed a thing like the internet would ever become a reality for the rural area I live in let alone be useful for anyone anywhere like it is currently!   The Times They Are A Changing!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:37 AM »
Sporadic radar delays and outages again:

http://weather.noaa.gov/monitor/radar3/

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:55 AM »

I agree with you! I remember way back when TWC was new I was working in the CATV field as a field service tech then and everyone you talked with was so much in love with the new channel!  But back then even in the Weather Star days there was more than just the warnings scrolled across the screen, there was weather related coverage 24/7. I guess there is only so far they can go with weather and still be productive from a cash flow standpoint but then again greed has put a damper on a lot of good things lately in the world I suppose :-(

I remember back before I became as heavily interested in weather as I am now turning over to ch 19 in those days anytime a black cloud appeared threatening.
Now when in question I just log on to here! If it's happening in the world of weather somebody here will know about it and have an answer :lol:

Looking back now on the days when TWC was going strongest I would have never believed a thing like the internet would ever become a reality for the rural area I live in let alone be useful for anyone anywhere like it is currently!   The Times They Are A Changing!

Living in Oklahoma, the local stations do anything they can to one-up each other.

You got a new doppler whiz-bang-track-it-down-to-street-level radar?  I'll one up you!

Oklahoma is always on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to severe weather anything.  We have some of the best local meteorologist as far as experience with severe weather in the world.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »

Living in Oklahoma, the local stations do anything they can to one-up each other.

You got a new doppler whiz-bang-track-it-down-to-street-level radar?  I'll one up you!

Oklahoma is always on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to severe weather anything.  We have some of the best local meteorologist as far as experience with severe weather in the world.

Is that due to the underlying fact that OU has a damn good meteorology program I desire to take a few years from now?

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »

Is that due to the underlying fact that OU has a damn good meteorology program I desire to take a few years from now?

Nah it's about viewership.  The stations all want the most viewers they can and by having top of the line fancy severe weather coverage that can draw people towards your regular news casts.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com