Author Topic: TV's "current" conditions  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Lite

TV's "current" conditions
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »
When I'm watching the news (any channel) and they give local conditions are they getting there data from us?

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
Re: TV's "current" conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »
Generally these are taken from nearby airports.

Tim

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:11:20 PM »
Accuweather or The Weather Channel are generally the most common sources, and yes, airports the most common data source.  Why do you think the current conditions NEVER match what you are seeing out your window?   #-o :lol:

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »
It really depends on the TV station. Many around here use the data directly from the airports as well as Weatherbug data.
Bill

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »
Accuweather or The Weather Channel are generally the most common sources, and yes, airports the most common data source.  Why do you think the current conditions NEVER match what you are seeing out your window?   #-o :lol:

What's up with TWC's HiRad bull? They say there's the technology that sort of "guesses" your local conditions.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Lite

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
I guess local airports would make sense, I imagine they have pretty sophisticated stuff and I'd like to think that their CWOP scores are all 30 :) .

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:17:09 PM »
I agree with floodcaster (Bill).  It depends on the station.  Here in the Chicago market NBC5 uses data from floodcaster (gooselakeweather.com) and from mine (peotoneweather.com) along with about 20 others.  They rotate 1 each news cast. I believe they actually get the data from CWOP, because allot (most) of the PWS's in the area don't show up on their map.  The other 2 networks CBS2 and ABC7 don't use the data in the news cast, however CBS2 links to it (PWS's) on their web site.  WGN uses weatherbug, but not stations reporting to weatherbug in the backyard network (PWS's).  I think the main reason the media would have, to not use PWS data, would be station siting!  The Airport stations (usually NWS) arguably would be properly located.  They really don't know how good the PWS's may or may not be located.  In Metro areas you have very little property and your options are extremely limited due to neighboring houses, trees, etc. 
As far as grades- I see some of us grade as well as the Airpot Stations in both CWOP and MADIS grades.  Many other stations do not, or they have one data reading that is completely off. My old WMR968 humidity reading was always 30-60% off,  prompting me to invest in the VP2 a year ago \:D/ .  Personally I don't worry if the media uses the data or not.  I know the people in my community (Peotone Illinois) do use it.  I know they appreciate it, and isn't that why most of us got into this hobby and sharing our data?  :?:
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
Ours is at a downtown site in town 30 miles west of me not a airport, never actually seen the site in person though.
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php