Author Topic: Question - or maybe feature request - wind direction  (Read 429 times)

Offline slybarman

Question - or maybe feature request - wind direction
« on: January 21, 2023, 07:54:00 AM »
On the TFT console (2553), as best I can tell wind direction is always displayed north-up and the little triangles move around the circle showing wind direction. In my case, the console is mounted on an east-facing wall, so the triangles moving around the circle don't align with the direction the wind is actually coming from relative to where I am standing. Is there a way to tell the console that it is facing east (in my case) and therefor north is actually at the the 9:00 position? In a car GPS this would be the equivalent of course-up versus north-up.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:56:28 AM by slybarman »

Offline hiljo

• Senior Contributor
    • Weerstation Hattem
Re: Question - or maybe feature request - wind direction
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
The gray arrow is the average wind direction (over 10mins).
The blue arrow is the current wind direction and updated every 10 seconds or so.

I don't completely understand your question, because the wind direction is not dependent of your console, but on your sensor. This one should point north (see the manual). But if for whatever reason pointing north is not possible, you can calibrate this on your console under the settings menu.

Please be aware that local objects can change the general wind direction. In my situation for example, when we have slow south winds, my house diverts the wind around the sensor to west or sometimes even north..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 01:02:37 PM by hiljolodewijk »
Ecowitt HP2550C v1.9.3
2x GW2000 v3.1.1
WittBoy WS90 v1.3.8
Smart Sensors (WFC01 & AC1100) beta tester
3x WH31, WH32, WH40, WH41, WH57
WN34L, 2x WH51, WN35, WN34D

Dutch translator for Ecowitt.

https://www.weerstationhattem.nl/
  |
  |
  |
  | 
  |
  |
  |

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:02:57 AM »
Yes, of course the sensor should always record and report the actual wind direction. I am talking only about the graphical display of that information on the console. North is still north and the recorded wind direction won't change, only how it is displayed. To understand what I am saying, go into your phone's map app and toggle between route-up and north up.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 09:06:50 AM by slybarman »

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »
I believe the OP, wanted the ability to alter the compass points on the display. In other words, if the console is mounted on an east wall, then have East be the top of the circular display. I mean you could do this by turning the display, but that would be awkward :).

I believe he wants to know the direction of the wind in relation to the console, so if East was the top console compass mark, as the console was on the east wall, then a North wind would be to his left, relative to his position reading the display.

This, of course, is really valid only for those consoles that have a display, and one that uses pointers and the circular compass display.

Quite possible, I totally misunderstood

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 09:09:51 AM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline slybarman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 09:09:06 AM »
I believe the OP, wanted the ability to alter the compass points on the display. In other words, if the console is mounted on an east wall, then have East be the top of the circular display. I mean you could do this by turning the display, but that would be awkward :).

I believe he wants to know the direction of the wind in relation to the console, so if East was the top console compass mark, as the console was on the east wall, then a North wind would be to his left, relative to his position reading the display.

This, of course, is really valid only for those consoles that have a display, and one that uses pointers and the circular compass display.

^^ this.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 10:13:45 AM »
I suspect this is not possible, after all the usual way to display this is north at the top. Personally I don't see the confusion it would not matter to me what orientation the display is I understand the wind direction by reading the compass display.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 10:29:50 AM »
I suspect this is not possible, after all the usual way to display this is north at the top. Personally I don't see the confusion it would not matter to me what orientation the display is I understand the wind direction by reading the compass display.

Stuart

Almost certainly possible (it is a graphics display). Whether you (or others) personally find it useful is, of course, a different question. If it were an option in the set-up, one could always choose not to use it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 10:47:56 AM by slybarman »

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 11:04:28 AM »

Stuart

Almost certainly possible (it is a graphics display). Whether you (or others) personally find it useful is, of course, a different question. If it were an option in the set-up, one could always choose not to use it.

Buy yourself a windsock and stop expecting a company to modify a product to satisfy the wishes of an infinitesimally small portion of users.
Better yet, build your own console using a Nextion display and an SDR, and be happy.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 11:08:44 AM »

Stuart

Buy yourself a windsock and stop expecting a company to modify a product to satisfy the wishes of an infinitesimally small portion of users.
Better yet, build your own console using a Nextion display and an SDR, and be happy.

You seem not to understand the difference between a feature request and a feature demand and for some reason choose to respond in typical internet keyboard commando fashion. It is not a good look.  ;)  Lighten up Francis.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 11:35:06 AM »
Use a small, inexpensive GW1100 to do all the uploads and use the console exactly as you want to use it.

Your console should "not  be uploading to where-ever", in other words that console should only be for use at the east-facing window:
==>  calibrate the wind direction in the console with  90 degrees
Tthe console will think that the wind from the real "East" is facing window direction and displays it  as is coming from "North" = top of the dial.

Wim

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 11:51:12 AM »
Yes, wvdkuil, that is of course possible. But , it would also mean the display console is providing erroneous data, for the textual portion, and would still require the viewer to ignore the fact that N was on top.

That being said...

I have hesitated to offer my thoughts on this, but I have to agree, I can't see this as anything the manufacturer would consider. I am also not aware of a weather console , from any manufacturer , that provides this (maybe there is one, someone enlighten me, if so).
The comparison with a vehicle map, is interesting, but in that context is really needed, as the vehicle moves. Most houses/fixed structures don't.

I am sorry, slybarman, I just don't see this as a reasonable request, as we pursue so many others. Hey, but anyone can suggest a feature, on the other hand, we are just a community forum and not an "arm" of the manufacturer.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline slybarman

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 12:01:05 PM »
Yes, wvdkuil, that is of course possible. But , it would also mean the display console is providing erroneous data, for the textual portion, and would still require the viewer to ignore the fact that N was on top.

That being said...

I have hesitated to offer my thoughts on this, but I have to agree, I can't see this as anything the manufacturer would consider. I am also not aware of a weather console , from any manufacturer , that provides this (maybe there is one, someone enlighten me, if so).
The comparison with a vehicle map, is interesting, but in that context is really needed, as the vehicle moves. Most houses/fixed structures don't.

I am sorry, slybarman, I just don't see this as a reasonable request, as we pursue so many others. Hey, but anyone can suggest a feature, on the other hand, we are just a community forum and not an "arm" of the manufacturer.

No apology needed. People can and will have reasonable disagreement over what is possible/useful/desirable. It is all about how throw your $.02 in.

I believe the option would be useful but that, as the old expression goes, is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

I also believe that some may have missed the fact that part of my original post was a question as to whether that functionality was already there and I was just missing it.

anything