Author Topic: new firmware for WS90: v1.3.0  (Read 3704 times)

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
new firmware for WS90: v1.3.0
« on: January 20, 2023, 02:52:39 AM »
Hi!

Also for the WS90 is a new firmware available: v1.3.0. In the meantime, you can also find it on the sensor page under "MANUAL & SOFTWARE".

Changelog:
- optimize low/no wind speed detection algorithm.

add:
This time, the update package actually does not contain any update instructions. And the corresponding programme dfuse_demo_v3.0.6_setup.exe is also missing. So just the firmware file(s).
Strangely, the older firmware packages are also no longer offered, from which one could use the instructions and the required programme.
The current update therefore requires a version that is already available.
But here you may download the previous version v1.2.6 with update instructions and with the required software. After installing you should use the WS90_V1.3.0.dfu to update. But I have no idea what to do with the WS90_V1.3.0_0x006C01D0.hex.

edit:
In the meantime, a revised firmware update package v1.3.0 with the necessary software as well as the instructions is available here.

Oliver

Offline BadWolf72

Re: new firmware for WS90: v1.3.0
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 10:09:52 AM »
Thank you olicat just updated min  [tup]

Martin
My Weather Station Information All 868Mhz

Ecowitt wittboy                             WS90
Ecowitt weather station                 HP2551
Ecowitt Gateway                           GW1100
Ecowitt Soil Temperature               WN34S
Ecowitt Air Quality Sensor (PM2.5) WH41     
Ecowitt Soil Moisture Sensor          WH51
Ecowitt Lightening Sensor              WH57

Offline swright1957

• Wakefield Way PWS
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 10:46:10 AM »
Hi
stupid question coming, so how do you update the firmware?
Mine says it has the latest version via the app
"anything's possible with the weather"
www.hytheweather.co.uk/signaturebanner.gif

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 11:05:08 AM »
Hi!

This time, the update package actually did not contain any update instructions. And the corresponding programme dfuse_demo_v3.0.6_setup.exe was also missing.
Strangely, the older firmware packages are also no longer offered, from which one could use the instructions and the required programme.
I could offer an older package. But I don't know if that would be OK from Ecowitt's point of view.
Perhaps you should ask Ecowitt how you should install the update. There is no hurry.

BTW:
This is an update for the WS90 sensor - not for any console. I am not aware of any app that checks the firmware version of the WS90 and reports a possible update.

add:
Here you may download the previous version v1.2.6 with update instructions and with the required software. After installing you should use the WS90_V1.3.0.dfu to update. But I have no idea what to do with the WS90_V1.3.0_0x006C01D0.hex.
Anybody?

Oliver

Offline WoodburyMan

• Southington Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 02:06:51 PM »
Is there any changelog for v1.2.6? I have yet to update my WS90 since I got it from the original Kickstarter campaign. Only The GW2000 itself via WSView.
Southington, CT https://www.southingtonweather.com
GW1000 + CumulusMX (WS68[Wind+Solar],WH40[Rain],WH57[Lightning],WH32[OutdoorTemp],2xWH31[Indoor Temp],WN51[Soil],WH55[Leak])

Woodbury, CT https://www.woodburyweather.com
WS-2095 +CumuluxMX (Integrated Wind,Rain,Temp Sensor)

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 02:08:58 PM »
Hi!

Try this.

Oliver

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 04:29:35 PM »
Hi!

This time, the update package actually did not contain any update instructions. And the corresponding programme dfuse_demo_v3.0.6_setup.exe was also missing.

Made in China...
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline Mark184

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 11:32:24 AM »
I want to make sure I’m understanding what this update is for.  I have the Ambient WS 5000, which if I understand correctly, uses the Ecowitt WS 90 as its sensor array for wind and temps.  If I further understand, this update is for the array only, and not the display.  Interestingly, I don’t see any mention of updating the array in the instruction manual.  Only for separately updating the wifi, and separately the display.  According to the word file in the 1.2.6 version of the update, you must hook up the array directly to a pc, and run the .dfu program to update the array.  Ugh…. What a pain for a roof mounted array!  Is my understanding correct?

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 11:35:02 AM »
I want to make sure I’m understanding what this update is for.  I have the Ambient WS 5000, which if I understand correctly, uses the Ecowitt WS 90 as its sensor array for wind and temps.  If I further understand, this update is for the array only, and not the display.  Interestingly, I don’t see any mention of updating the array in the instruction manual.  Only for separately updating the wifi, and separately the display.  According to the word file in the 1.2.6 version of the update, you must hook up the array directly to a pc, and run the .dfu program to update the array.  Ugh…. What a pain for a roof mounted array!  Is my understanding correct?

Yes.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 11:37:56 AM »
Yes, and in reality, once stabilized, firmware upgrades on sensors should be rare. This is still new(ish) , so a little more frequent.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 12:48:04 PM »
OK I missed something

It uses the WS80, not the WS90
So update accordingly, you do not have a WS90
And as you have an AmbientWeather unit , I would wait until they post a firmware upgrade

This is just a caution as the AmbientWeather sensor units provide some extra data that allows them to be used by an Ambient Weather console. Using a firmware update on the WS80 from Ecowitt (although the units are the same) , may disrupt the usability of your sensor with your AmbientWeather console.

Others. may know more... as I don't have a WS5000

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 12:54:17 PM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline Mark184

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
Thanks Rover1822!   I had not noticed the WS80 config of hardware.  Geez, between Ambient and Ecowitt, all the individual model numbers make my head spin!

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 06:20:44 AM »
Hi!

Maybe they had no right to include the whatever.exe file for installing the update? The name has a hint, why not: dfuse_demo_v3.0.6_setup.ex

Why would a modern network connected device, that talks to its developers site 24/7 (yes, check your network traffic) needs a 3rd party tool to do something as simple as updating a firmware? Especially for a device that is probably installed way out of reach.
Made in China...

Reported for nationalist BS! If you don't like things made in China, WHY are you in this forum, if not to stir up trouble?

LOL. This has to be the most absurd thing I have read today.... but the day is young. 

And yes, I happened to own this device. It's badly constructed (as many have pointed out), it's firmware updates are causing problems and so on. As expected from something  made in China.

And yes, for some reason, most stuff that comes from China is crap and there is nothing your full blown denial can do about that fact.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:24:30 AM by BaseLine »
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline BadWolf72

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 09:54:46 AM »
BaseLine this thread is about the firmware update nothing to do with the build quality which is entirely your opinion, i wonder how many people are happy with the build quality compared to those that are not... for the most people only harp about the negative not when a product is good, if your opinion is that all stuff made in China is not good then why buy it .... no one was forcing you to.

Martin

Offline BadWolf72

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
KC5JIM, I was not attacking you i am sorry if you feel that i was but my comment was clearly pointed at BaseLine.

Thank you

Martin

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 10:25:55 AM »
KC5JIM, I was not attacking you i am sorry if you feel that i was but my comment was clearly pointed at BaseLine.

Thank you

Martin

Of course not! My apologies for quoting the wrong reply! I've edited my post. I'm SO SORRY!
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 10:44:56 AM »

For Oliver (Olicat),

Hi!

I could offer an older package. But I don't know if that would be OK from Ecowitt's point of view.
Perhaps you should ask Ecowitt how you should install the update. There is no hurry.

BTW:
This is an update for the WS90 sensor - not for any console. I am not aware of any app that checks the firmware version of the WS90 and reports a possible update.

add:
Here you may download the previous version v1.2.6 with update instructions and with the required software. After installing you should use the WS90_V1.3.0.dfu to update. But I have no idea what to do with the WS90_V1.3.0_0x006C01D0.hex.
Anybody?

Oliver

I'm wondering if the .hex may be something to be used with the WS90 Modbus RTU model that you announced in another topic?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:27:54 AM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 10:47:42 AM »
Hi!

Maybe they had no right to include the whatever.exe file for installing the update? The name has a hint, why not: dfuse_demo_v3.0.6_setup.ex

Why would a modern network connected device, that talks to its developers site 24/7 (yes, check your network traffic) needs a 3rd party tool to do something as simple as updating a firmware? Especially for a device that is probably installed way out of reach.
Made in China...

Reported for nationalist BS! If you don't like things made in China, WHY are you in this forum, if not to stir up trouble?

LOL. This has to be the most absurd thing I have read today.... but the day is young. 

And yes, I happened to own this device. It's badly constructed (as many have pointed out), it's firmware updates are causing problems and so on. As expected from something  made in China.

And yes, for some reason, most stuff that comes from China is crap and there is nothing your full blown denial can do about that fact.
Cheers!

I'm leaving the forum because admins are allowing personal attacks and nationalism in the forum now, and I refuse to have my children and my students exposed to such utter trash. I'll be placing this forum on my school's blacklist, and removing it from my curriculum (Yes, I actually baked this forum into my lesson plans!)

I reported an incident yesterday, I can see that saratogaWX had logged in since then, yet took no action on my report, which obviously emboldened the user to then start attacking me. In fact, he's been on this morning for almost 30 minutes and still nothing.

It's a shame when even a forum about weather stations is allowed to be politicized and the inmates are allowed to run the asylum.

Only one who thought about nationalism is you and lets be honest for a second, with that you attacked me!
My feelings are severely hurt and you need to apologize!

I feel sorry for you students, who are probably indoctrinated by you daily. What a sad world we live in.

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 10:51:53 AM »
BaseLine this thread is about the firmware update nothing to do with the build quality which is entirely your opinion, i wonder how many people are happy with the build quality compared to those that are not... for the most people only harp about the negative not when a product is good, if your opinion is that all stuff made in China is not good then why buy it .... no one was forcing you to.

Martin

If you read the
"And the corresponding programme dfuse_demo_v3.0.6_setup.exe was also missing."
you should realize that the latest update was also screwed up, especially for those who do not have the software witbboy guys included in their previous updates (probably) illegally.

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »

I'm leaving the forum because admins are allowing personal attacks and nationalism in the forum now, and I refuse to have my children and my students exposed to such utter trash. I'll be placing this forum on my school's blacklist, and removing it from my curriculum (Yes, I actually baked this forum into my lesson plans!)

I reported an incident yesterday, I can see that saratogaWX had logged in since then, yet took no action on my report, which obviously emboldened the user to then start attacking me. In fact, he's been on this morning for almost 30 minutes and still nothing.

It's a shame when even a forum about weather stations is allowed to be politicized and the inmates are allowed to run the asylum.

I stand corrected. THIS is the most absurd and unhinged rant I have read today. No educator should behave like this. This is literally a kindergarten level temper-tantrum where you attack board members and admins because they do not share your confused view of the reality. No wonder American education system has collapsed.

Offline wsNoordbergum

• Contributor
    • wsNoordbergum
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »
Here is the upgrade manual, notice this is the one for the 1.1.9 firmware of the WS90, to upgrade to the latest, it should be the same way.
The dfuse demo program is downloadable, just google dfuse demo
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:34:58 AM by wsNoordbergum »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 UV/Solar
Meteobridge nano SD
Ecowitt WS90 WH40 WH31 WH57 GW2000 HP2550_c
CumulusMX/raspberry Pi 4b

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 01:11:56 PM »

I stand corrected. THIS is the most absurd and unhinged rant I have read today. No educator should behave like this. This is literally a kindergarten level temper-tantrum where you attack board members and admins because they do not share your confused view of the reality. No wonder American education system has collapsed.

Baseline - You add nothing to this thread of any value.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 01:15:54 PM by Platokidd »
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 03:39:42 PM »

Contrary to popular views, I'm not available 24x7 for moderation duties.  While I've been here since the founding of the forum (as a co-founder and administrator), I have other obligations to attend to than this forum.

BaseLine and KC5JIM:  You're both behaving badly.  Baseline for sniping at another country and KS5JIM for going ballistic over it, then ranting about timeliness of moderation.  Geesh.. Both of you need to become more civil in your discourses.  I remind you that the registration agreement still prohibits ad hominem attacks and political speech.

Now enjoy the rest of your Sunday, but BEHAVE!
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 03:47:52 PM »
Hi Rover,

I'm wondering if the .hex may be something to be used with the WS90 Modbus RTU model that you announced in another topic?
such a hex file (different size and content) is also included in the firmware update for the WS80. However, so far I have no information about a Modbus version for the WS80.
It is conceivable that there will (soon) be another type of firmware update program that requires this type of file. But who knows?
I'm afraid we have no choice but to wait for a statement from Ecowitt. (Just asked.)

Oliver

Offline kheller2

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
.dfu files are generated from .hex (or .s19j files.  Supposedly. 
Ambient Consoles: WS-2000, WS-1900, WS-1200, WS-2902C, WS-3000-X3, WS-0900-IP(observerIP), WS-1001-WIFI
Ambient Arrays: WH65B
Ambient Sensors: WH31E(3), WH31B(2), WH32B, WH31SM(2), WH31PGW, AQIN, WH31LA(3)
Ambient Spares: WH24B(2), WH25B.
Ecowitt: HP2551BU, GW1000B(dead), GW1100B(2), GW2000B
Ecowitt Sensors: WH51, WN34BL, WN34(2), WH31, WH41, WH40