Author Topic: HP3500 vs HP2910 vs HP2550 vs HP2560  (Read 450 times)

Offline Fergie

HP3500 vs HP2910 vs HP2550 vs HP2560
« on: January 10, 2023, 07:01:46 AM »
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, but finally got around to registering and making a post. I have had a Frogget 4000 (equivalent of WS2320) for a number of years that uploads to wunderground, but my wind speed sensor stopped working last year. I could just replace the wind sensor in the 7-in-1 array which would cost about £30, but there is a risk that other sensors could fail with age. A whole new 7-in-1 is also about £80, but there is a risk that it decides it doesn't want to play ball with the 4000 terminal.

Therefore I'm actually tempted to change the whole system (I could go stand alone sensors, but I do like the 7 in 1 on a big pole near my house). The WS2320 (£100ish) is the cheapest, but doesn't give me anything over what I already have. I'm most interested in rainfall, wind direction, speed and also recording temperatures. It would be great to track more than 1 as I'm in an area that has a lot of wind chill, plus be nice to monitor the garage and other areas too. Most readings are on apps, but its also nice to have a screen in the kitchen, but it doesn't need to be especially fancy or big.

Which of the monitors now available are newest and are there any glaring advantages going for any of them? Also, what is the energy consumption like comparing TFT with LCD displays and colour vs monochrome?

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
Re: HP3500 vs HP2910 vs HP2550 vs HP2560
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »
Hi!

My personal recommendation is clearly the HP25xxC. Of all the consoles available, this one has the widest range of features. It supports all currently available sensors, has the option of an SD card for saving all data as CSV and goodies such as time-dependent activation/deactivation of the display and (in the latest version) probably also supports the http API.
The console requires approx. 450mA with the display switched on at 5V and approx. 170mA with the display switched off.

All these things should also apply to the HP2560C - but I have not used it myself and can therefore only recommend it with reservations - others with direct experience should be able to say more.

I also have the HP3500C here. However, it is clearly limited (even in size - it is really tiny!). It has the basic advantage that you can also connect it to a PC via USB - but the implementation is somewhat unkind and the console is hardly maintained on the firmware side. At least it supports all sensors (although I'm not sure about the WN35) and also the additional storage of data on a microSD card.
I have not yet measured the power consumption.

My "secret tip" for those for whom the HP25xxC is too expensive or too big, or for whom less content in the display is enough, or who are just looking for a second console, is the WN1980C. I had also written a review about it somewhere here.

However, if you are basically satisfied with your current console and also use the possibility of remote data reading via WIFI, you can simply exchange the sensors that may be dying little by little. Or you can simply continue to use the old console in parallel - this should work with most standard sensors. Note, however, that old and new devices must operate on the same frequency.

Oliver

Offline Fergie

Re: HP3500 vs HP2910 vs HP2550 vs HP2560
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 02:14:57 PM »
Thanks Olicat, gives me lots to think about. Definitely sounds like it will be between the HP2550 and HP2560 for my needs - unless someone can suggest any other curveballs?