Author Topic: Upgrade from Oregon Scientific RGR126N  (Read 1186 times)

Offline jagman653

Upgrade from Oregon Scientific RGR126N
« on: October 20, 2022, 12:43:55 PM »
My Oregon Scientific RGR126N has been in service for perhaps 10 years and is now constantly blinking. Not sure if it's the rain gauge or the indoor display device. Batteries in the rain gauge, indoor display and outdoor temperature sender have been replaced. I don't know if the gauge or the indoor display is at fault.

I'm tempted to fix the RGR126N because I like it, and I like to fix things. In fact, I modified the rain gauge to allow me to reset the season total rain to match rainfall reported by local weather station when necessary. For example, if the catchment funnel is plugged with leaves or there is a battery problem in the middle of the season I can reset the indoor total amount. I won't go into details here, but I can attach an electronic device (which I designed & implemented) to the rain gauge and enter the current total rain reported by a station near my home. So I'm thinking perhaps I could find a new (or working used) RGR126N indoor display device I'd be up and running with little expense and no effort.

OTOH, I'm thinking perhaps I should let the RGR126N go to the landfill and buy a newer system that has the wanted features. My needs are modest, basically outdoor temperature, daily rain for the previous week or so, and season total. In addition to these modest needs, I really, really want the aforementioned ability to reset season totals when necessary. I know newer systems refer sometimes say "syncs with local weather stations." That sounds a lot like what I do with my home-brewed "reset device," but I want to be sure it means what I think it means before I buy it. One would think the makers or sellers of these systems would answer questions like this, but some (all ?) say "support provided to buyers."

Thanks for taking time to read this, and I look forward to your suggestions.

Ed

anything