Author Topic: Rain gauge blockage  (Read 875 times)

Offline dwaldmann

Rain gauge blockage
« on: September 06, 2022, 08:26:19 AM »
I had some bushes near the ISS which understandably lead to frequent blockages. But those have been removed and now it's about as in the open as it possibly can be.

What options are there for helping with this situation, or do I just need to plan on checking it every X days?

Location pics:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Rain gauge blockage
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 08:49:43 AM »
Since you have an older bucket style, look for something like these.  Walmart and Target carry them.  It should stop the main debris from totally clogging the bucket.

https://www.amazon.com/Strainer-Stainless-Strainer%EF%BC%8CSink-Strainers-Diameter/dp/B08ML19LB4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=stainless+steel+kitchen+sink+strainer&qid=1662468523&sprefix=stainless+steel+kitchen+sink+st%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-6
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline CSB

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 09:52:28 AM »
Off on a tangent, but this is why I do not recommend mounting the ISS bucket assembly way up high on a tower or roof.  Even with the strainer, which works great I have had one in my unit for about 15 years now,  if it is up high you have to go up and clean the strainer out.  so keep your unit down and put in one of those strainers.  All the rain that is meant to go in, goes in.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »
Off on a tangent, but this is why I do not recommend mounting the ISS bucket assembly way up high on a tower or roof.

Yeah, when I bought the house the ISS/Anemometer was mounted on the cupola eave. First thing I did after making sure it worked was move the ISS...

...put in one of those strainers.  All the rain that is meant to go in, goes in.

Thanks guys - will give that a try.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »
Off on a tangent, but this is why I do not recommend mounting the ISS bucket assembly way up high on a tower or roof.  Even with the strainer, which works great I have had one in my unit for about 15 years now,  if it is up high you have to go up and clean the strainer out.  so keep your unit down and put in one of those strainers.  All the rain that is meant to go in, goes in.

Agreed, With respect to NWS station siting guidelines, the rain collection device should be near the ground....

Offline CSB

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »
Another question that comes to mind. Is the original Debris Screen that came with my VP2 calibrated for the "Rain Rate" readings I receive on my console? If so any other screen than your original Davis your "Rain Rate" readings will not be accurate???

Offline hmderek

• Senior Contributor
    • Meteodrenthe
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »
Never found a smart solution for this, so ended up with getting a second collector as backup.  :-|
Davis VP2
Davis WeatherLink
Sensirion SHT35
PT100
NTC Thermistors
DS18B20
Apogee Instruments TS-100
Barani Meteoshield Pro
Davis 7714
MetSpec RAD14
Davis AirLink
Wemos D1 Mini micro controllers
https://blog.meteodrenthe.nl
https://meteodrenthe.nl
https://twitter.com/meteodrenthe

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 10:36:02 AM »
FYI I ended up getting the new version of the rain collector cone with debris screen from Davis.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »
FYI I ended up getting the new version of the rain collector cone with debris screen from Davis.
That's what I did a few years ago when Davis came out with that unit.  I had issues with bird droppings, and with bird dropping twigs into the bucket.  Bird spikes fixed that.  Plus the new one isn't as prone to measuring issues with the wind.  And I have a lot of wind.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 10:49:39 AM »
I replaced mine with the Vantage Pro2 Replacement Rain AeroCone Kit Model: 6462. You still need to clean the debris screen every now and then, but the bird spikes keep the birds away. Seemed like the birds would always sit on the cone with their backside facing inward, thereby pooping into the rain gauge! I haven't experienced a blockage since installing the AeroCone version.

Offline dwaldmann

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 10:56:40 AM »
I haven't had a problem with birds, although I did install the spikes since they were included. However we are at the highest point within many miles and do have a lot of wind, so that was part of the influence to get the new cone.

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »
Makes sense since the areocone is supposed to minimize the effect of wind on the rainfall measurements. Of course, the birds sit on the wind vane and disrupt those measurements!

anything