Author Topic: How do I make a website?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline MchWxEnthusiast

• That Guy
  • Contributor
  • Nothing Much
How do I make a website?
« on: July 12, 2022, 03:18:39 PM »
Hi, I've been thinking about creating a website once I had my very own weather station. But now that I do, how do I go about creating this website? Someone please guide me through.
Weather Radio Freq: 162.475 MHz
Weather Radio Loc:  Plainwell, MI
Transmitter Call Sign: WWF34
Streaming Status: NN

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: How do I make a website?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:25:34 PM »
Well, first things first ....  you'll need a hosting account and domain name (see below).  Once you get one (there or somewhere else ), and get somewhat familiar with it, there are packages to install and manage.  Others here have far more experience with those than I do and can lead you better in the process.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 04:05:39 PM »
You'll first need to chose a weather station that has a data connection option.  Some sort of data logger.  On the Davis, I'm using a USB model.

Then you'll need some software.  CumulusMX is free.  Can run from Windows or a Rasberry PI.  Weather Display is another popular option but isn't free, but reasonable priced.  That runs on Windows, and I think the PI as well.

Then of course you need the computer.  PI or Windows 10+

Then you'd need the templates.  Sarartoga Scripts is the most popular.  But there is also Metotemplate, and others.

Lastly, the hosting website.  The ICDSoft option mentioned is the most popular with the weather people.  GoDaddy is an option, but doesn't offer much better than ICD.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »
Hi,
You've asked the same as I did many years ago. As mentioned, you need a domain name and a hosting service.  There are many choices and options.  These can be obtained from many sources such as noted by WeatherHost, or well known like GoDaddy, etc.  Or do it yourself but that will need a bit more knowledge.

Several of the weather programs available, such as Davis Weatherlink and CumulusMX, have built in website files and processes to update a weather website.  Once you have a hosting and domain these programs, through some basic setting options, will pretty well do the rest.  You'll also need a text editor program, like Notepad++ which is free) to do some file editing or customizing if needed, and an FTP program like FileZilla (also free) to do the basic static files uploads to your webhost.  Once you feel comfortable then you can dive into the more elaborate or your own ideas.

You'll find lots of advise and suggestions to your specific questions here. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MchWxEnthusiast

• That Guy
  • Contributor
  • Nothing Much
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »
I just want a free site until' I have then money. And i'm looking to make a site with the SaratogaWX Template, but I don't know how to code. I would like to be taught that too!
Weather Radio Freq: 162.475 MHz
Weather Radio Loc:  Plainwell, MI
Transmitter Call Sign: WWF34
Streaming Status: NN