Author Topic: Lots of temp & soil moisture probes ?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Snowda

Lots of temp & soil moisture probes ?
« on: June 05, 2022, 11:43:18 AM »
Our needs/desires include: General weather station + 4 temp probes in lake + 2 temp probes and 4 or more soil moisture probes in garden/lawn.

I'd talked with someone about this a few years ago and they'd recommended a VP2+ and 2 temp/moisture stations which I purchased last year and am just moving forward with installing. The manual however indicates that I maybe can't do what I'd planned. It looks like I can do one full T/M station or 2 half stations (E.G., if I do 4 temp probes in one station I can only do 2 leaf and 2 temp in the other station but no soil moisture).

Am I reading this correctly?

Any thoughts on a better solution? Forget Davis for soil moisture and do something else?

(BTW, I did look at the Davis Enviromonitor but $'s ended that thought).

Thanks,

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:52:07 AM by Snowda »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Lots of temp & soil moisture probes ?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 04:53:59 AM »
Well, you can do what you want (ie multiple soil moisture sensors) with a Davis Weatherlink Live receiver unit, but you'll need an Internet connection and maybe - depending on what you want to do with the data - potentially a small annual subscription.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Snowda

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 01:58:35 PM »
Thanks John. Somehow I was under the impression that it worked off the console and thus had console limits, not independently. I think that might be the solution.

Offline Snowda

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 09:57:40 AM »
I think for our use case we may go with Ecowitt (several WH51 soil moisture probes + GW1100 gateway). If it works then probes will be easier to place in disparate locations since they don't need to be wired to a station and will be easier to move around. And overall much less expensive than the Davis solution.

We'll see.

Offline swright1957

• Wakefield Way PWS
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 03:39:24 AM »
Hi
Ecowitt is probaley the best option here.
I have/Had a Davis vantage vue and are moving over to Ecowitt as you can add lots of sensors easliy to the setup and they all are very easy to setup.

Ecowitt also have a temp sensor that floats in a pool, lake etc, so that would be usefull for your setup I think.
"anything's possible with the weather"
www.hytheweather.co.uk/signaturebanner.gif

anything