General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Conditions Discussion

Antarctica is on fire massive temperature anomaly engulfs half of the continent!

(1/2) > >>

Kenshiro:
Yesterday I noticed that Antarctica has been engulfed by a massive positive temperature anomaly.

I checked the stratosphere but couldn't find anything, my best guess is a volcano named Mt Erebus is at the origin of this heat wave.

The jet stream (250 mb) enters Antarctica at that location but I wonder is it the cause or effect?

Searched for real time data of Mt Erebus but couldn't find any so I'm in the dark about that.

I would love to hear some comments about this extraordinary weather event.
Feel free to share links about Mt Erebus: like I said I couldn't find any real time data using google...

Made a video about this topic:

https://youtu.be/OuqFRDDxZPA

Mattk:
So what are the actual facts? Headlines can be very deceiving, heat wave, +5.0 °C is obviously a relative change, but relative to what? It's like saying the temperature today is -55 °C, yesterday it was -60 °C but what does that actually mean? Still way too dam cold but lets not be selective with the difference which does occur for many many reasons     

Kenshiro:

--- Quote from: Mattk on March 19, 2022, 06:38:21 AM ---So what are the actual facts? Headlines can be very deceiving, heat wave, +5.0 °C is obviously a relative change, but relative to what? It's like saying the temperature today is -55 °C, yesterday it was -60 °C but what does that actually mean? Still way too dam cold but lets not be selective with the difference which does occur for many many reasons   

--- End quote ---

No no 5C on average in the affected area more than 40C above normal!!!!

Mattk:

--- Quote from: Kenshiro on March 19, 2022, 06:50:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mattk on March 19, 2022, 06:38:21 AM ---So what are the actual facts? Headlines can be very deceiving, heat wave, +5.0 °C is obviously a relative change, but relative to what? It's like saying the temperature today is -55 °C, yesterday it was -60 °C but what does that actually mean? Still way too dam cold but lets not be selective with the difference which does occur for many many reasons   

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Then you need to putting the your facts forward

Kenshiro:

--- Quote from: Mattk on March 19, 2022, 06:53:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Kenshiro on March 19, 2022, 06:50:57 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Then you need to putting the your facts forward

--- End quote ---

Yes I recon it is confusng the way I have described it in that picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version