Author Topic: To WiFi an Ambient Osprey WS-290C2?  (Read 436 times)

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
To WiFi an Ambient Osprey WS-290C2?
« on: January 21, 2022, 01:31:44 PM »
I just set up an Ambient WS-280C2. My 2nd Ambient PWS. Took me four tries to get the console configured to my satisfaction. And I was disappointed to find that the remote sensors are pass-thru, their data is NOT locally displayed (so why bother adding them?).
But now I need to decide whether to on-line this PWS or not and which of the services: Weather Underground, Ambnet, etc. to join it to.
So, what benefit would broadcasting our locale's weather have and to whom? Doesn't seem like there's any.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
Re: To WiFi an Ambient Osprey WS-290C2?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 01:36:55 PM »
Hi!

But now I need to decide whether to on-line this PWS or not and which of the services: Weather Underground, Ambnet, etc. to join it to.
So, what benefit would broadcasting our locale's weather have and to whom?
This doesn't quite fit your problem, as I was originally focusing on Ecowitt stations. But maybe you can find a few things for yourself here:

Compare-Cloud-Software-FineOffset-EN.pdf

The corresponding thread to this document.

Oliver

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 02:40:10 PM »
So, what benefit would broadcasting our locale's weather have and to whom? Doesn't seem like there's any.
If you decide to add extra sensors, they will show up on the ambientweather.net app or website.

I have a WS-2000 which has the same sensor array as your 2902C, but has a more advanced console that does show the additional sensors. However, I find myself using the ambientweather.net app more often than the console. I have both WU and AmbientWeather.net set up and use both. There are a few things I prefer on WU, but WU doesn't show the added sensors while Ambient does.

Another useful feature of AmbientWeather.net is that you can set alerts so you are notified via text of certain conditions. For example, I have a WH31E temp/humidity sensor in my garage with an alert if the garage temp falls below 40 F. My garage has plumbing, so if the garage furnace fails, I need to know so I can shut off and drain the water lines.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:47:26 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »
Olicat - I saw something about an Ambient Osprey Upgrade, the console is replaced, I think (?). If the Sensor Array is not changed would that get me the extra display function?

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 10:15:28 AM »
Alanb we are in north central Florida and residential only, not farming. So the function of the extra sensor would be to monitor the temperature in the wife's horse stalls, she has two minis. So a nice to have bit not a necessity.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 10:19:15 AM »
Other than a broadcast of our neighborhood lot temperature conditions I struggle to see what benefit there is to sharing the PWS data. It's not a privacy matter just a puzzlement on my part. Bragging rights perhaps?

Offline kheller2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
The data could be used for forecasting and also seeing what other people in your area are experiencing.  If you look at it from the point of view "who cares what my interior temperature is in my kitchen" -- and you are right, most people don't care and that data isn't publicly available.  But, what if I wanted to see the current wind speeds or temperatures in your area -- if you didn't broadcast the data, I couldn't know without finding an airport.
If you don't take advantage of the web page and apps, then there is little value for you in broadcasting data. 
Ambient Consoles: WS-2000, WS-1900, WS-1200, WS-2902C, WS-3000-X3, WS-0900-IP(observerIP), WS-1001-WIFI
Ambient Arrays: WH65B
Ambient Sensors: WH31E(3), WH31B(2), WH32B, WH31SM(2), WH31PGW, AQIN, WH31LA(3)
Ambient Spares: WH24B(2), WH25B.
Ecowitt: HP2551BU, GW1000B(dead), GW1100B(2), GW2000B
Ecowitt Sensors: WH51, WN34BL, WN34(2), WH31, WH41, WH40

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 10:28:28 AM »
Other than a broadcast of our neighborhood lot temperature conditions I struggle to see what benefit there is to sharing the PWS data. It's not a privacy matter just a puzzlement on my part. Bragging rights perhaps?

You don't have to share it. For some of us, it is for some of ours neighbors that have an interest, not bragging rights. Also, for some of the more advanced users in here, it is to compare and review sensors and systems. I agree , that probably for most , there is no need to share it. You may want WU or some other site to see your data remotely , and have a preference on the site layout etc.., all of which have different setups for making it private or public, well except WU. All comes down to what you need or want it for.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 06:01:22 AM »
I was surprised to learn how many of my neighbors used my weather station's info.
Some from WU and some from my website after letting me know they found me on WU.

Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 06:23:53 AM »
Well for me it's a matter of I could do but don't know that I should do.
Thanks for your opinions and insights.

Offline mikemm

• Enthusiast
    • Weather Underground PWS
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 05:40:02 PM »
I would add that another reason many in the U.S. post data to the "cloud" and specifically CWOP/APRS is that we are contributing to the official forecasting and micro-climate modeling done by the U.S. NOAA.  They of course take our data "with a grain of salt" and do extensive cross-comparisons to ensure each PWS site's data is reasonably accurate before using it.  And they tend to use the "deltas" from a site ... e.g. the temperature change over time intervals rather than the absolute temperature readings.  The deltas tend to be more stable across any set of PWS' that may or may not be well calibrated.

So each new PWS site in unique locations that are a good distance away from airports and other "official" weather data sources helps the overall models and forecasting since it ideally places sensors well distributed throughout the nation.  As you are in Florida, if there are a good number of well distributed "citizen weather stations" reporting, the NOAA can even better map the actual after-effects of hurricane and tropic storm systems as they move onto land in Florida, and use that for better future flood and wind forecasts.

I am not sure if other nations have this "citizen weather data importing" feature for their own national weather modeling.

And as others have said, it remains just personal preference if you want to share or not.  But in the case of CWOP/APRS uploading, there is a national benefit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:42:24 PM by mikemm »
CWOP ID: EW8360, WU/PWS: KCASANDI503
Ambient 2902C Sensors | WS2000 Console | Dahua 5MP Low-lux WeatherCam | MeteoBridge & Raspberry Pi | APC UPS
Web sites: WU, Ambient+Cam, PWS, Windy+Cam