Author Topic: Long Distance Reception  (Read 229 times)

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Long Distance Reception
« on: January 11, 2022, 04:03:27 PM »
Working on helping get a station revived. Since IT at the School is hard to get any help from and the Laptop that was doing upload no longer worked I gave them a WiFi Logger. They could not get IT to get it working so the teacher tried turning on the console at their house about 700 meters away. It started logging and uploading.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IONRUSSE2

It has been on the school roof and neglected long enough to be sure the battery is dead and I suppose the Super Capacitor also as it stops most nights for a while, worse on colder nights.

But 700 meters...........I would never have expected that. It is very high on roof of school though so not much for obstruction. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Weatheroger

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Re: Long Distance Reception
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 06:20:09 PM »
I have seen in within these forums people modifying internal antennas or even adding yagi directional antennas. If you could search here and possibly find a ham operator with the needed skills this may be an effective way to improve the signal.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »
It seems there is no need. The unit is factory. Has been sitting up there like two years or more not even running. Start console and Holey Moley.

The drop-outs are certainly from simple power loss at night and in the cold. There may be the odd blip for other reason but what an amazing range for factory hardware.

They are hoping to get a custodian onto roof for a maintenance check. I hope to get him talked into two trips. One to bring me the ISS for overhaul, and second to re-install.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 06:32:51 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline Weatheroger

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 06:57:11 PM »
That would be the simplest solution.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 08:34:59 PM »
I'm interested too to get the console onto diagnostic mode and see how the packet reception is.