Author Topic: weatherunderground not updating properly  (Read 2337 times)

Offline weatherbe

weatherunderground not updating properly
« on: January 04, 2022, 08:47:52 PM »
Hello everyone, my apologies if this site is not associated with Wxunderground.  Google said it was, but the forum name does not show this.

Here is my question.  I just connected my Ambient Weather station with their site.  Works great.  However, once I connected to Wunderground, it only updates every 5 to 10 minutes.  I checked at least 20 stations online, and they all updated every few seconds.  Does anyone know how to change this update interval?

Thank you so much for any help with this!

Greg in Boulder, CO

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: weatherunderground not updating properly
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 05:23:32 AM »
Your upload device needs to have the Rapid Fire feature.

When I use Meteobridge to upload, there is a setting for that.

I don't know how your device works, do you have that option?

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 07:21:24 AM »
Thank  you so much for your reply.  I have no idea if my device has the rapid fire feature.  I do know that there are two other ambient weather stations exactly like mine within 2 blocks of me, and they update ever 3 to 5 seconds.  We have the same firmware in our devices.  I checked over 25 weather stations on wxunderground, and every one of them updates every few seconds except for mine.   I find that to be really strange.  Would sure love to figure this out.

Appreciate your help!

Greg

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
I am sure there are some folks that can figure it out.

I wonder if the others are sending the data from Ambient device through a Meteobridge or something to get the Rapid Fire?

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 03:13:50 PM »
Hi David, I am curious about that too.  I checked on Wunderground stations all over Boulder, over 50 of them and some across the state, and every station updated every 3 to 5 seconds except for my station.  Mine updates every 1 to 2 minutes.  It was actually more than that at one point, but I would still rather have a closer to real-time update.  I've been a weather forecaster over 30 years, and I am not new to running weather stations.  In the past, I have always had them hooked up to my own website.  This is the first time I am sending data to another server that is not my own.  The ambientweather.net has a top reporting time of 1 minute so from them I don't have a choice changing the reporting time to under a minute.  I find it really strange that Wunderground is mirroring that very same 1 to 2 minutes that I'm getting from ambientweather.  And one last thing, I actually have a later firmware AMbWeatherv4.3.2 then the 2 weather stations a couple of blocks away. 

Thanks again for taking your time to chat with me on this.  I really appreciate it!   -- Greg in Boulder

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 05:04:02 PM »
What hardware do you have for uploading?

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 05:36:15 PM »
This is what is so perplexing.  I have an Ambient 2902C, the exact model of the two weather stations 2 blocks from me.   Our firmware is the same except mine is slightly more up-to-date.  We have the same hardware, same software but not the same update interval.  Crazy, huh?

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 10:34:11 PM »
Thanks for your help!  I followed everyone of those steps exactly as they are listed.  On Ambientweather.ent my station updates every minute only because they don't allow for a more quick turnaround.  However, if you google wunderground, it says the updates are every 2.5 seconds. All of the weather stations, 50 of them in Boulder and the surrounding area, all update every 2 to 5 seconds.  I checked them all out.  My station is the only one that takes longer to update, quite a bit longer, compared to almost real time.  Not sure what the fix is.  I am very computer literate and have tried everything.  I love figuring things out, but not sure I can figure this out.  I'm dealing with a big snow storm (I'm a weather forecaster) here in Boulder tonight so I have to put this puzzle on hold until the storm lets up.  Could get up to a foot and loving every second of it.  Doesn't hurt that I nailed this storm ... *chuckle*   :-)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:36:11 PM by weatherbe »

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 10:07:46 AM »
I have an ecowitt weather station ( no console, only gateway ), the ecowitt app ( like the ambient one ) does not let you select the upload time interval to wu.
I'm quite sure you can not use the rapid fire feature uploading directly via the ecowitt console/gateway, you should use some other software/hardware ( like davidmc36 said ).
To be sure you could post the question in the ambient/ecowitt subforum
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:44:57 PM by davidefa »

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 11:41:13 AM »
DavidMC36 talked about the Rapid Fire Feature.  I have been researching this.  How do I get the rapid fire feature?  I found information on it but not how to retrieve it for my ambient weather station.  Thanks so much for any information on this.  -- Greg in Boulder, Colorado

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 03:38:29 PM »
I push data to WU through my Ecowit GW1000 and it shows updating every 2 to10 seconds according to the timer on the station page. View my page through the shortcut in my signature. No configuration in the WS View app for upload interval. I am not sure if this the is the sensor update time or the push data time. The tabular data for WU shows a 5 minute update. Also is there any advantage in updating so often if tabular data does not reflect the upload frequency? CWOP is a 10 minute update, APRS is about 2 seconds, NWS is 10 minutes. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:06:17 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »
Thank you so much for your input.  I'm not sure how to do that on my end.  I'm still not sure why my updates are so much longer than everyone else.  It sounds like you didn't make any changes on your end except to feed Wunderground the same way I do.  Except you get a much faster turnaround on the updates.  I'd sure love to figure this out.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 05:25:44 PM »
What are you using to determine update time, tabular data time stamps or the timer on your station page (updated xx seconds ago)?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 05:27:47 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
You could also try the 'customized' option ( in the app ):
- select wu protocol type
- set server ip/hostname rtupdate.wunderground.com ( the rapid fire one )
- path should be automatically set to /weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?
- set the upload interval
- add your station id
- add your station key

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 05:57:11 PM by davidefa »

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
I have no options on my end to change the update times on Wunderground.  I do on ambientweatherl.net but the fasted update time to choose is 1 minute.  That is working great.  I am curious where you found the customized option for wunderground's interval time.  I never had that opportunity to customize my interval time with wunderground.  I'd love to be able to put in every 5 seconds of updates.  What is this app you speak of for customization?  Also those boost mobile pics?  These are all new to me. Where do I access them?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:25:35 PM by weatherbe »

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 11:29:56 PM »
These are in the customized panel.

Offline weatherbe

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 12:15:26 AM »
So where do I find this customized panel?  I have searched for this over and over and cannot find it.  I really appreciate your help with this. You have been very kind!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:18:55 AM by weatherbe »

Offline AlbertArnold

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »
I am not sure what is going on with my weather on WU either - it indicates that I am "offline"  it has been that way since Christmas - my stations is KVACHEST1.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 12:59:41 PM »
Is your device connected to your router via WiFi? If it is, try rebooting your device, recheck and if not connected reboot your router. Check that it is attempting to connect to the 2.4Ghz band. A loss of connection can sometimes happen if there has been a power interruption. If you know how, reserve an IP address for your device in your router settings. This will help to automatically reconnect if power is interrupted. If it is connected via LAN cable disconnect the cable at either end and reconnect.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 01:11:11 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline AlbertArnold

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
Not sure what is going on.  I get an error message "server error please try again". 

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »
Double check your wireless connections. Then check that your sign in information is correct. Station name and key. Are you connecting from a console or a bridge?

Offline AlbertArnold

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »
I am using a wireless connection.  My other weather sites appear to be getting the data as I can log on to them and see my weather data.  I have logged out and then back into to WU but still nothing changes.

Offline AlbertArnold

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
I have noticed that some of the other weather stations that I have checked said they are off line too in the area I live. 

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 01:25:57 PM »
If your other weather sites are using the same device then recheck your WU credentials. Typos can be a common problem.
If you can connect and view at least one other site that you send data to then most likely your internet connection is good.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 01:28:22 PM by Weatheroger »

anything