Author Topic: WS80/GW1100 issue  (Read 790 times)

Offline DelChard

Re: WS80/GW1100 issue
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2022, 06:20:12 AM »
Interesting thread, not sure I can add much help other than has anyone tried putting clip on ferrites on the WS1100 usb cable if itís susceptible to RFI?

Mine is on the back of my desk at the moment where I stuck it some months ago for testing and on an Anker usb charger that is always charging something else I find, kids iThings, bike lights, cycling gps, batteries etc and I have had no issues, my study is not particularly quiet electrically with several PCís that can be on or off, network gear and a 3D printer which I am sure doesnít have the best quality psu fitted.

DelChard you sound like your in the UK so apart from the obvious differences between the ASUS supply and the wall brick in the conservatory there could be a difference on the noise on the mains ring. Assuming you have the usual UK ring upstairs and downstairs there could be something on the same ring as the conservatory that is electrically noisy. The cyber power UPS will have a LC filter in it for sure that is cleaning up the supply before the router.

Things like dishwashers and washing machines should have suppressors in them but watch out for any pattern like bad data starts after a certain appliance is used etc.

I had forgotten about the WS80 firmware, I had it on my desk yesterday and could easily have updated it but now itís up a pole on the side of the garage, no bad data yet but I assumed it had latest FW and as per other thread no way to tell until itís usb connected.

Neighbours already complaining about the new pole! I used some T&K brackets and a sturdy pole and itís certainly over engineered now itís up so I might yet take it down to fit a smaller pole and bracket so will have to remember the firmware if I do.

HansR - I am behind your theory your gateway may have some small difference, it could still be interference though and one is able to reject it better. At the moment products seem to be made with the materials that can be obtained rather than the original design, I would not be surprised if some IC or components are different between batches on these things, I only setup my 2551 display this week (under the tree for Xmas) but it seems to be ESP based looking at its WiFi name, these things must be built in batches and I am sure with global supply some differences occur.

Yes, supposedly sunny south somerset.
1960s detached, overhead power lines and telecom, Main ring plus additional spurs. had the mess of fuses replaced with a breaker box when we moved in.
The timings of the temp spikes have been random. But they've generally been at night.
Main suspects freezer, fridge, and connected devices phoning home (including the gateways)
i had overlaid the fridge and freezer temperature plots against the WS80 temp spikes, with no correlation.
I also checked router for any devices phoning home, again the timings don't match.

Longest stable run has been 86.5 Hrs.
Currently at 54Hrs

I plan on leaving as is for another 5 days (unless I see another spike).
If all is well, I will swap the outdoor T & H assignments between the Gateways.
Next step will be to disable all the Sensors on both Gateways, Then enable them one by one, editing the ID against the CH number as I go.
This will have the advantage (for me) of standardising the configuration on both Gateways (with the exception of the WH32EP).
The last step will have an added complication for me. In that, I maintain a history record in Excel, by copying the daily data table from ecowitt.net, and a bit of VBA to update my log and charts.
I'll need to transpose columns and edit a few lines of the code.
When I can eventually get a console, I'll see if the 2 SD card method is more suitable.

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2022, 06:58:05 AM »
Next step will be to disable all the Sensors on both Gateways, Then enable them one by one, editing the ID against the CH number as I go.
This will have the advantage (for me) of standardising the configuration on both Gateways (with the exception of the WH32EP).
The last step will have an added complication for me. In that, I maintain a history record in Excel, by copying the daily data table from ecowitt.net, and a bit of VBA to update my log and charts.
When I can eventually get a console, I'll see if the 2 SD card method is more suitable.
If you are ready to have e.g. a RaspberryPi running 24/7 (runs on Linux and Windows 11), you could think of using CumulusMX free weather software (also runs on Linux and Win11) and have your data logged at your chosen interval (1 minute to ....), independent of ecowitt.net downloads. It creates logging interval based CSV files which you can work on in Excel if its reporting features are not sufficient for you.
Froggit WH4000SE (=EW 2320E) 1.6.1/GW1100 2.0.8/Froggit DP1500 1.6.8 (+EW GW1000 (4) 1.6.8 test/backup)/HP1000SE Pro (HP2551) 1.6.1/1.7.7, WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.6.8,GW2000 2.1.0;
Ecowitt WS90-Ŗ,WS80,WH40,WH65,WH31(5),WH31-EP(1),WN30/DP30 (1),WH32(1),WH32-EP(1),WH32B [T/H/P] (1), WH57 [Lightning] (1), WH41 [PM2.5] (2), WH51 [SoilMoisture] (5), WH45, WH55 (2)
Meteobridge Pro (2) [test,prod] 5.2 Nov 21 2021, 14636 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.5.1/CumulusMX 3160/MB RPi4 (2671)
Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02
Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE), ISAARB22(HP2553);, http://meshka.eu

Online davidefa

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2022, 07:09:36 AM »

Interesting program.
You could automate the backup of station's data using the 'custom upload' option of the gateways to send data to a small php script ( you can use one free hosting service available, for example if you don't have already one ).
I do it using meteotemplate ( it can do a lot more ) as you can see in my signature.

Offline DelChard

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I feel it's best answered here.
My reason for having a weather station is primarily to monitor growing conditions, both in my garden and my greenhouses.
It has taken over 12 years to take the plunge.
Until I stumbled across the ecowitt gateway solution (thanks to the cumulus forum), the closest would have been a VP2 with additional leaf and soil stations feeding wifi logger or meteobridge pro or raspberry PI My Unix/Linux experience is extremely rusty).
I could never justify that sort of cost to myself. Hence I found the ecowitt solution and its expandability extremely promising.
I spent a long time going back through this forum, particularly the WS80 saga and the current WS90 saga, and have been impressed by both the quality of posts and the fact that ecowitt have developed the products accordingly.
I like to have full possession of my data, and the ability moving forward, to easily compare say June 2022 and June 2023 conditions.
My spreadsheet is set up with that in mind (I might over time migrate to an access database).
I'm hard of hearing, hence my requirement for a console with visual alarms.

Moving forward I'm still considering a Meteobridge or PI. I have Cumulus MX installed on WIN 10.
I need to investigate the meteotemplate option.

Thanks to all for a brilliant forum
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 08:59:23 AM by DelChard »

Offline DelChard

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2022, 04:09:23 AM »
Gateway2 Showed a 60 Deg C temp from 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM UK time last night.
All other readings OK and No new spurious battery.
I think I need to upgrade the firmware on the WS80 before any further action.

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2022, 04:38:30 AM »
After several mail exchanges with Ecowitt with some misunderstandings, they advised me:
  • To use WsView Plus (so I installed it beside plain WsView)
  • And in WsView Plus in the Sensors ID list the top one is WS90
  • Disable WS90 (:!:)
So I presume it is a current firmware problem when both WS80 and WS90 are enabled and 'learning'.
We'll see what this brings. I agreed a max of two month before concluding a fix.
Other explanation with this instruction is minimal but they claim it solves the issue.

And who knows, maybe it is better to disable all unused sensorID entries (it avoids at least the permanent learning which no doubt takes valuable value reading time).

Offline DelChard

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2022, 07:06:10 AM »
After several mail exchanges with Ecowitt with some misunderstandings, they advised me:
So I presume it is a current firmware problem when both WS80 and WS90 are enabled and 'learning'.
We'll see what this brings. I agreed a max of two month before concluding a fix.
Other explanation with this instruction is minimal but they claim it solves the issue.

And who knows, maybe it is better to disable all unused sensorID entries (it avoids at least the permanent learning which no doubt takes valuable value reading time).

HansR

I'm not qualified to dispute Ecowitt's advice. However, for me, swapping the location of the 2 gateways (8 metres of seperation) stopped a recurrence of the issue.
I do still have an issue with the WS80 T & H. This reoccurred this morning, so I swapped the 2 gateway assignments. And another spike followed the assignment change.
So I'm confident that both gateways are behaving.
I have now disabled all unused sensors, as a further precaution.

Online davidefa

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2022, 07:29:06 AM »

This is exactly what I was asking for ( disabling the autolearning ), I didn't understand it was already present ( well a little hidden ).
You have to disable every single sensor you do not want.
Thanks for sharing

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2022, 07:56:57 AM »
This is exactly what I was asking for ( disabling the autolearning ), I didn't understand it was already present ( well a little hidden ).
You have to disable every single sensor you do not want.
Thanks for sharing

OK. We are not yet certain that this is the definitive solution, we have to wait further communication which I'll report.
I also asked Ecowitt to disable all sensors by default i.s.o. enable. No response yet.

Online davidefa

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
OK. We are not yet certain that this is the definitive solution, we have to wait further communication which I'll report.
I also asked Ecowitt to disable all sensors by default i.s.o. enable. No response yet.
You are one of those that can confirm if this is a good solution ( having the problem of 'ghost sensors' ).
For now I'm happy not seeing the 'learning...' anymore ( and quite confident this is a good thing ).
As for the 'autolearning' default status I think it should be enabled ( so not to upset every new user ), but they should write somewhere:
'WARNING: DISABLE ALL UNUSED SENSORS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR EVERY NASTY THING MAY HAPPEN TO YOU...' ( or something like that ; - ).
Wondering why keeping it 'so secret' ( as we are not the only one who didn't understand this )?

Offline HansR

• De Wilgen
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2022, 04:16:45 PM »
The ball is now in Ecowitt's court, so we wait.

At every communication with Ecowitt which says something about this issue I will communicate here.
As it is a very irregular issue I proposed a two month delay before we accept it as a true solution.
So if the  problem occurs with you while having sensors disabled (and certainly the WS90) report here as well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:32:11 PM by HansR »

Online davidefa

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »
Yes these 'sporadic issues' are very difficult to pinpoint.
It's not uncommon that you think the problem solved, but it reappears as you 'turn your back'.
So a couple of month delay may be a reasonable amount of time.

anything