Weather Software > Cumulus

CumulusMX on a raspberry pi zero 2W

(1/5) > >>

gszlag:
Just did a CMX install on the new rpi zero 2W.

Installed raspberry pi os (Bullseye).

Some comments and caveats:

Since I needed to run the rpi "headless" (no monitor or keyboard ), I used the built-in vnc server so I can remote in from Windows or mac os.

The issue I had with Debian Bulseye is the size of the virtual desktop which was permanently fixed at a postage size desktop, After trying all the various fixes for a couple days, I gave up and went back  to Buster - which worked perfectly - just like my rpi 3B+.

Bullseye had some other issues - the package manager could not install software properly or if installed - would not run. Generally, I was disappointed with Bullseye. Hopefully they can fix it. There are some grumblings on the 'net...

Just some cautions with the zero 2W. You've only got 512MB memory to play with and even though the desktop loads amazingly fast, running multiple gui apps might be a bit much. You should run only one app at a time.

I can definitely tell you that running the  Chromium browser and Synaptic at the same time  crushed this tiny card and it hung.

Still though, an amazing computer for $15USD (if you can find one!)

No issues with installing or running the latest CMX build (Cumulus MX v3.14.0 build 3159, 04-December-2021).

It would be interesting to see if it could run WeeWX at the same time as CMX. Currently , WeeWX is running on my 3B+.

The raspberry pi zero 2W can now take over the duties from my old i7 Lenovo gaming laptop.
--

davidmc36:
I have a Zero running I think over a year pushing Cumulus. I never tried anything other than Buster.

Definitely shines as a dedicated device. Not a multitasker lol

I did crank WeeWx up with it at one point but never tried both together.

gszlag:

--- Quote from: davidmc36 on December 06, 2021, 08:15:37 PM ---I have a Zero running I think over a year pushing Cumulus. I never tried anything other than Buster.

Definitely shines as a dedicated device. Not a multitasker lol

I did crank WeeWx up with it at one point but never tried both together.

--- End quote ---
I agree. Nope - not a desktop replacement!

But it will run WeeWX ( using Gary's excellent GW1000/GW1100 API driver) AND Cumulus MX simultaneously.

Will put more load on WeeWX and see if it can also ftp to my web site every 60 seconds or so.

mcrossley:
The Zero 2W is much more capable than the original Zero W.

The original with it's single slow CPU would run Cumulus, but it was slow, for instance asking it to do an extended historic data catch-up would tax it. The day rollover processing for instance would take long enough that the history data stream from Davis stations could time out and CMX would have to restart it.

And asking it to process multiple years of data to extract records allowed you to go and make a meal (and eat it) before it finished!

gszlag:

--- Quote from: mcrossley on December 14, 2021, 04:13:05 PM ---The Zero 2W is much more capable than the original Zero W.

The original with it's single slow CPU would run Cumulus, but it was slow, for instance asking it to do an extended historic data catch-up would tax it. The day rollover processing for instance would take long enough that the history data stream from Davis stations could time out and CMX would have to restart it.

And asking it to process multiple years of data to extract records allowed you to go and make a meal (and eat it) before it finished!

--- End quote ---
Overall, quite happy with it. Considering it is running a desktop, CMX and WeeWX, I still have half of the memory remaining and CPU is still cycling in the single digits.
Speaking of slow..try running Chromium.. I have since uninstalled it and replaced the browser with something far more lightweight -Midori. Other stuff could be removed from the desktop too.

If I was a command line comando well, the desktop would go obviously but so far..so good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version