Author Topic: bdamweather.com has moved  (Read 405 times)

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
bdamweather.com has moved
« on: November 11, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
Well, we moved only back to our original address, but at a new host. I have been with GoDaddy for years and years and while it was mostly ok, the prices keep going up and my usage and need was going down. And then the final straw, they dumped Microsoft 365 email on me, no choice but to migrate and pay and that was all it took. I moved to BlueHost at about one third the cost. Oh, it was a painful move, I spent hours on chat and voice with tech people, some who seemed to know little more than me, but finally we got DNS records and pointers reset and everything moved. I left my domains there for the current time and will move them next year but sometimes change is necessary and for an old man that can be uncomfortable. MY next project may be to move from POP3 to iMap, I'm exploring that now, what else have I got to do?

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
Re: bdamweather.com has moved
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 05:29:10 PM »
A bit more on why we moved from GoDaddy. I was with them for 15 years and generally they provided a good service, but in recent times they lost touch with reality and their customer base that made them one of the largest hosts in the world. As companies grow the top levels become more involved in the big picture and turn over the day to day operations to middle management, I saw it first hand several times in my sales career.

GoDaddy appeared to become driven by what I call the millennial snowflakes, the young guns determined to change things without regard to retaining things that always worked because they never bothered to study what made the company great. So, they continually screwed with menus in the customer sections, always changing and making things cumbersome, never improving service, only tinkering with the machinery.

Some years ago while living in MX I wrote a blog on software they provided and had something close to a thousand followers and one day they dumped the software and changed to WordPress which didn't at all serve my needs, so I ended the blog.

My domains are hosted at GD and the price for my website hosting has escalated significantly in recent years, but I got free email with my plan so I left it alone, until they dumped their email software for MS365 and forced a migration. I had no interest in migrating, I use Thunderbird, I don't like, don't trust cloud apps. I moved to BlueHost several weeks ago and canceled my hosting contract. Apparently they didn't notice, today I got 40 emails from GD saying this email is being migrated to MS365 - fat chance, it's gone from GD.

But then the coup de gras, I got a "Product Renewal" notice because the MS365 was only "free" for one month and now they want $28.68 per email or roughly $1,150 per year for what I had been receiving for free? - they've grown large and the millennial snowflakes with no business sense have assumed control, well, fine, I have not problem with that and good luck for a bright future? I'll migrate my domains next year when they come up for renewal - which brings up another sore point, today I tried to shut off the auto-renewal for the weather station domain and it said they needed to send a security password for me to accomplish that, they did, I applied it and they said it was not valid??? Their own password isn't valid? - I may not wait to migrate the domains. Although I expect a tug-of-war to get them free!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 05:33:45 PM by stevebrtx »

anything