Author Topic: New Davis Vantage Pro2 to replace 10 year old one.  (Read 1119 times)

New Davis Vantage Pro2 to replace 10 year old one.
« on: November 23, 2021, 12:07:41 AM »
After 10 years my Davis Vantage Pro2 started to fail, I replaces the ISS solar panel last year, And then the anemometer wind speed failed, So I bought a new Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless with the anemometer/sensor transmitter kit - ic6332au, So I don't need cables anymore. I built a winch controlled wind up unit for my tower, So I can raise and lower is as needed. I also built a new Stevenson screen and stand to put it on. I put adjustable bolts under the Stevenson screen to allow me to level the rain bucket. So happy with the outcome. Roll on another 10 years.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: New Davis Vantage Pro2 to replace 10 year old one.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 12:24:02 AM »
Curious, why put your shield inside another shield?

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 12:39:11 AM »
Just gives it better protection from the heat, And give it a more exact reading.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »
My concern is (if it were mine) that in low/no wind conditions you've effectively doubled the difficulty of any ventilation, especially with the floor of the screen closed. This will also effect long wave radiation (I think it's long wave) at night. You may want to consider putting a louvered floor in at least, and optimally, a fan installed up top to pull air in from the sides and bottom with the two shields blocking minimal air flow. Merely something to ponder should it concern you.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 01:46:09 AM »
I do have holes in the roof of the box to allow air to escape, The stevenson I built is based on a local one that is used for BOM readings.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »
I suppose if you do it that way , you are simulating one of those hot boxes where prisoners are put into a container with no ventilation.    Your values will be wrong.  but then again who am I to tell you how to do things right.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 12:02:40 PM »
Looks like a great setup, well done =D>

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
You are not interested in humidity are you?  Unless you have a flow of air through the whole contraption you are not going to have good readings.

One time I put a temperature sensor in our lawn shed  and it was definitely hotter in there that the standard shield that came away with the unit.   Even though the sensor was right by the air vent at the top.   Then you mounted the rest on a pole,  Well I suppose it will protect it from kangaroo attacks.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 02:00:08 PM »
Nice clean construction. Great work. I would however as previously mentioned take the temp/RH sensor out of the radiation screen and simply mount inside to allow for more accurate readings. This was the way it was done with stevenson screens/cotton region shelters here in the US. Similar to page 10 in this publication.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 02:03:53 PM by floodcaster »
Bill

Offline pwta

• Monto Qld weather
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 04:25:12 PM »
Thanks Floodcaster for the suggestion to remove the temp/humidity from the radiation screen and mount it on its own in the stevenson screen, Makes sense.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 02:00:20 AM »
I removed the shield from the temp/hum sensor, I will see how that goes.

anything