Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

Goodbye Acurite

(1/3) > >>

hdtvluvr:
Well, I have been using Acurite systems since the 5in1 came out.  Several years ago, I upgraded to the flashier Atlas due to it having more bells and whistles.  During this time I realized the mistake I had made and should have stayed with the 5in1.  Now leading to today. 

My Atlas has been dead for several months.  Display and the Access could no longer see the Atlas.  Checked everything - no go.  So here we are today.  I will not be replacing my weather station for the time being.  Perhaps next year.  When and if the time comes, I will be looking for a better system.  Maybe Ecowitt or Ambient weather.  Davis may be too much for the budget.  Whatever the system will be must have an easy non-PC required interface to push data to the internet and have an app for weather at my station.  Ideas are welcomed for me to keep in mind.

I'll keep getting notices for this group and will keep an eye out for any new (non Acurite) systems coming down the pike.  Thanks all for all of the assistance over the years.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: hdtvluvr on November 11, 2021, 04:59:13 PM --- Davis may be too much for the budget. 

--- End quote ---
Yes, they are more expensive but sometimes looking at the bigger picture is helpful. My VP2 is 14+ years old (not uncommon) and has been in the AZ sun as well. The only things I've had to replace has cost me about $50 over all those years, and even then it was still usable. Just food for thought.

hdtvluvr:
Thanks for that info.  Are you pushing data to the web?  if so, how?  What hardware is needed.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: hdtvluvr on November 11, 2021, 06:34:05 PM ---Thanks for that info.  Are you pushing data to the web?  if so, how?  What hardware is needed.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I'm online. There are quite a few ways. I've been using old school equipment (USB data logger and 24/7 laptop about 8 years) but that's no longer necessary. Others more in the know will give you the various options that I'm not fully qualified to answer properly.

vreihen:

--- Quote from: hdtvluvr on November 11, 2021, 06:34:05 PM ---Thanks for that info.  Are you pushing data to the web?  if so, how?  What hardware is needed.

--- End quote ---

I'm using a Davis VP2 and genuine Davis USB logger, hooked to a Raspberry Pi running WeeWX.  Been 100% bullet-proof for over 3 years, and the only time that I've had to touch it was to clean some seeds out of the aerocone rain bucket's debris screen.

There are third-party logger devices available that will let you access the VP2 via wifi and send to the popular web sites, if you want to go that route.

What you will find is that the Davis ecosystem is not a kludge like AcuRite and the others when you want to access your station data locally, and hooking up a VP2 and data logger to WeeWX is as simple as picking a few menu choices and all of the underlying software is bundled.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version