Author Topic: I think I need a new gauge.  (Read 1974 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
I think I need a new gauge.
« on: October 30, 2021, 06:24:37 PM »
This is what 13 years plus does to a stratus gauge. Kind of surprised at the range of prices for a new one. From $30 to $52.
Mine new one will be here next week.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: I think I need a new gauge.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 06:32:56 PM »
 :lol: I remember asking you if that thing came out of a fire...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 06:37:19 PM »
Nah, just a whole of lot of sunshine. Probably going to pull the trigger on that Rainwise Gauge real soon too.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 06:47:56 PM »
Probably going to pull the trigger on that Rainwise Gauge real soon too.
You'll never look back..especially if you wire into the ISS.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 05:43:26 PM »
Mine are lucky to last about 7 years, with all our whiskey fungus, etc around here... not to mention UV breakdown.  CoCoRaHS DOES NOT approve electronic readings.  CCR is NO longer 'hobbyist' or casual.  It is very well documented and proven Citizen Science, as long as protocols are maintained. My Electronics are 'generally' in close agreement <1", than it wants to become inconsitent, depending on wind, etc... if anything it will over-report compared to the OFFICIAL CoCoRaHs mounting and locating protocals, unless it's clogged, or dirty.  TOO unreliable across the board.  For CoCoRaHs, use the specifically described 4" gauge. Too many organizations and agencies use the data, for it to be otherwise reported outside the CCR protocols.  Everybody should be the same.

I have, I think, discovered a 'renewal' for a 'faded' blue vinyl Snow Stick yard gauge' however... saves, what ..20 bucks or so? Especially if 'utilizing' an IR webcam, they can really lose contrast after a few UV years.  I'll post something when one of them round tuits shows up, and a note or two if anybody's using the ETo reporting. And I'll let you know how much trouble it may be / or not be, to replace the ETo 'gauge' strip.. when I bring it in for the season.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 05:49:35 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 06:01:06 PM »
TOO unreliable across the board. 
That's obviously your experience. I use my RW bucket as my "official" measurement unless there's a large discrepancy, which doesn't happen. The Stratus 6" away is merely for comparisons sake.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 08:35:32 AM »
These appear to be the same as the CC gauges.  But claim to be heat/UV resistant.  Might last longer...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NDN1TXN/?coliid=I3TCLRI7WVXKOK&colid=2C6HYHZM43FSD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 11:37:10 AM »
These appear to be the same as the CC gauges.  But claim to be heat/UV resistant.  Might last longer...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NDN1TXN/?coliid=I3TCLRI7WVXKOK&colid=2C6HYHZM43FSD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Dale, et.al. Since "been my experience" was thrown at me a few posts above, (which often happens) as apparently irrelevant to the message attempted, Am I stupid enough to offer some 'trivia' FYI?  Why, HELL YES! Of course I am.

STRATUS is the 'Flagship' 'label' of (and owned by) Productive Alternatives, Fergus Falls (et.al) Minnesota.
Productive Alternatives make the Stratus Gauge, unlabeled, forCoCoRaHs, and other 'brands/nobrands".
Bet that CTO thingy you mentioned is a Stratus, and I sure don't see it worth a fifty dollar tag ±, considering the components I list below.

Stratus is classed as UV Resistant.,.. which  automatically makes the CCR gauge 'UV resistant'.  But that  is a hell of a long way from UV invulnerable.

Lucy P. at 'Weather Your Way' is the official CCR product distributor.  I've dealt with her for years. She cuts deals with suppliers, and is real a "trip" if you engage with email when she's having coffee. Having just purchased a backup replacement gauge, ( I keep two active, a third in reserve, and pass on older ones if condition is reasonable) I can tell you that the current, Oct 6 stock was pricing at $32.75 USD. + whatever shipping she must charge  My last order had ETgage parts, and some other stuff, and shipping total was $9.75.

NOW, here are the REALLY neat components, in my humble opinion:
Getting the gauge, etc from Lucy appears to me to be an exceptional 'win/win' for a bunch of folks who benefit directly... .
FIRST and FOREMOST it supports Productive Alternatives... having worked around such industries after my 1st career retirement, I'm all for it!
SECOND  it keeps Lucy going, where she's  a valuable asset to ANY of us along these lines, especially with her contacts in some sources... She helped me get an boost to restoring my ETgage, AT NO CHARGE not even postage, which I'll pass along when I undertake it shortly, since this week may have several days in the Twenties, overnight...
THIRD it provides us a consistent, reliable source for standardized CCR gauges,etc. If you want a label, order a sticker for a dollar, and whack it on there.
FOURTH, she's a meteoroligist.  She knows what we deal with, and is on OUR side. She lives sleeps and eats next to her computer for questions, inquires, etc. 
So I can send any profits directly back to PA, with a few operating expenses etc skimmed off to Lucy. + I actually have contact with a REAL, LIVE person if there's any question!
We need all the friends we can get, I think.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 11:44:26 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 01:40:01 PM »
Thanks Dave, for the reminder to order a replacement - one of my mounting brackets is broken.

@Cutty, when I first joined CoCoRaHS in 2014 I had called Weather Your Way (and if I recall correctly had email discussions with Lucy) and learned they could not ship to Canada but we can order direct from CoCoRaHS Canada distributor.  I can't remember but might have been our metric usage.  CoCoRaHS Canada has a subsidized price for volunteers of $30 (Can$) for the kit, and a special rain and snow gauge kit for $40 (includes an additional outer cylinder to use for measuring snow on the ground).

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 04:31:24 PM »
Weather Your Way is where I bought it from. They were a couple bucks more expensive then the $30 site I found but their shipping was way lower. 

anything