Author Topic: Installed CumulusMX in PC running VWS, can not boot to safe mode  (Read 3213 times)

Offline dbolt

• Weather, Current and Forecast for Beltsville, Maryland USA
Re: Installed CumulusMX in PC running VWS, can not boot to safe mode
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2021, 06:03:47 PM »
You're quite welcome, glad to share experiences.

I presume the DOS like start screen says Normal running?

Check the latest MXDiags file for any issues, or zip and attach it in a reply post.

Enjoy,
Paul

Here is a zipped version of the latest txt file in the MXdiags folder.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »
Possible other things as well but MXDiags shows:
Code: [Select]
2021-08-13 17:35:00.464 Minimum data set of pressure, temperature, and wind is not available and NoSensorCheck is not enabled. Skip processingIf you do not have the minimum sensors then in Station Settings => Common Options => Sensor check [tick] No sensor check.
Make Cumulus MX run even if you do not have the minimum sensors required (temp, press, wind)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline dbolt

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 12:31:26 AM »
Common sensor check is now checked and I restarted.  Still no data on the Dashboard.  I would have thought that the
Vantage Vue would have all the sensors.  The console shows data for everything, it seems to me. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »
The attached zip says it is empty.

You are saying the ISS has all sensors working and ALL the data is current on your console, so strange that MXdiags is indicating that the key data is not being provided.   

Looking at your previous posts it looks like you had a VP1 and now also a new View.  Are both ISSs transmitting, and if so on different channels?  Are there 2 separate consoles/loggers?  Are you sure that your computer Com4 is connecting to the Vue logger and it is receiving from your View ISS?

Generally it is pretty straight forward.  All I can add for now is to make sure no other program is running/connected to your logger, do a new CMX start, go through the Station settings making sure you have the correct station type, and communication settings, etc.  And then stop and restart CMX.  Then check your latest MXdiags and see if things seem ok.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline dbolt

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2021, 01:05:55 PM »
I have a VP1 connected to a VP1 console running on a Windows 7 PC.  I have been having problems with intermittent outside temps.  The unit is a 2002 model that Davis no longer supports, so I purchased a VV and 6150USN datalogger.

The VV is running on a Windows 10 machine.  They are both running now, but the values displayed on each console are slightly different, so I assume each unit is receiving data from the proper outside device.  Currently, VP1 data are shown at http://boltassociates.com/weather

I'm not sure what you mean by ISS, but because the VV console shows inside and outside hum & temps, plus wind and pressure, I assumed that the vv sensors are working.

I'll send a pic of the VV console from my phone shortly.

Offline dbolt

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
Couldn't send from phone.  Here 'tis. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by ISS, but because the VV console shows inside and outside hum & temps, plus wind and pressure, I assumed that the vv sensors are working.
The ISS (Integrated Sensor Sweet) is the outside station.  So you have both a VP1 ISS and console, and a Vue ISS and console.
I have no experience with the VP1 but, among other technical things, I believe it has difference wireless communication to the VP2 and Vue.

I have a VP1 connected to a VP1 console running on a Windows 7 PC.  I have been having problems with intermittent outside temps.  The unit is a 2002 model that Davis no longer supports,
You have connected this to a Windows 7 PC which has VWS program running.  This works ok except issues with data from the old VP1.
It appears that this is then totally independent of the Vue ISS and Vue console and it's USB datalogger and which you are trying to run with CumulusMX on a Windows10 PC.

so I purchased a VV and 6150USN datalogger.  The VV is running on a Windows 10 machine.
So a separate Vue ISS and matching console, and the USB datalogger attached to the Windows10 PC. This is where you have CumulusMX installed but having trouble getting data in CMX.

They are both running now, but the values displayed on each console are slightly different, so I assume each unit is receiving data from the proper outside device.  Currently, VP1 data are shown at http://boltassociates.com/weather

The Vue console image seems ok but there is nothing there to show that the data is coming from the VP1 ISS or the Vue ISS. 
Again, not familiar with the VP1 but it might be wise to have the VP1 setup to a different channel from the Vue setup and that would avoid any issue one could cause to the other.
The channel number, from 1 to 8, is set in both the outside ISS and the matching console.   

Just looking for things that might be causing your issue.
Do you have Weatherlink PC installed on your Windows10 PC?
If so did you run this Weatherlink and did you select USB connection or Serial connection?  It should have been in Serial mode for the logger to work with a third party weather program.
CumulusMX does not need for you to have Weatherlink PC installed, but since you are having a problem getting CMX to work correctly perhaps run Weatherlink and see if that works in Serial mode. And if so then stop Weatherlink and run CumulusMX.  And go from there.

Enjoy Good luck,
Paul

Offline dbolt

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »

I have no experience with the VP1 but, among other technical things, I believe it has difference wireless communication to the VP2 and Vue.
Agree.  I assume that is why the old VP is not compatible with newer Davis devices.

I have a VP1 connected to a VP1 console running on a Windows 7 PC.  I have been having problems with intermittent outside temps.  The unit is a 2002 model that Davis no longer supports,
You have connected this to a Windows 7 PC which has VWS program running.  This works ok except issues with data from the old VP1.
It appears that this is then totally independent of the Vue ISS and Vue console and it's USB datalogger and which you are trying to run with CumulusMX on a Windows10 PC.

so I purchased a VV and 6150USN datalogger.  The VV is running on a Windows 10 machine.
So a separate Vue ISS and matching console, and the USB datalogger attached to the Windows10 PC. This is where you have CumulusMX installed but having trouble getting data in CMX.
That makes good sense.  The data in the VV console is not getting transferred to the PC.

They are both running now, but the values displayed on each console are slightly different, so I assume each unit is receiving data from the proper outside device.  Currently, VP1 data are shown at http://boltassociates.com/weather

The Vue console image seems ok but there is nothing there to show that the data is coming from the VP1 ISS or the Vue ISS. 
Again, not familiar with the VP1 but it might be wise to have the VP1 setup to a different channel from the Vue setup and that would avoid any issue one could cause to the other.
The channel number, from 1 to 8, is set in both the outside ISS and the matching console.   
Again, I'm not clear on the term channel.  Is that the same as ComPort?

Just looking for things that might be causing your issue.
Do you have Weatherlink PC installed on your Windows10 PC?
I don't think so, and if I ever had a copy, it was what I received back in 2002.

If so did you run this Weatherlink and did you select USB connection or Serial connection?  It should have been in Serial mode for the logger to work with a third party weather program.
CumulusMX does not need for you to have Weatherlink PC installed, but since you are having a problem getting CMX to work correctly perhaps run Weatherlink and see if that works in Serial mode. And if so then stop Weatherlink and run CumulusMX.  And go from there.
Is it a correct assumption.  Com4  starts Cumusmx now.  Maybe plugging the Datalogger cable into a different USB port on the Win10 is worth a try.  I assume each USB port is associated with a unique comport, no?

Thanks again for helping way more than what was ever expected.   

Enjoy Good luck,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2021, 05:25:17 PM »
Hi,
Sorry I used the wrong terminology.  Instead of "channel" I should have said "transmission ID".  See pages 4,5,6 here untitled (shopify.com)

Another thought... since you feel the ISS is sending and the console receiving correct data I wonder if it is your datalogger.
Is the Vue a new or recent version?
Is it a Davis USB datalogger and is it new, or perhaps old like pre "Green Dot"?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline dbolt

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2021, 07:41:12 PM »
Paul,

As luck would have it, Cumulusmx started working and I'm not sure why.  The dashboard shows current data that updates shortly after I see it change on the VV console.  I'm doubtful that it is uploading data to my website, but I have not explored that question.  I did transfer the webfiles folder to the /cumulusmx/folder. 

As to why it is now working, my guess involves trying to install Weatherlink.  When I tried to install it from my downloads folder, a popup said that it couldn't install.  I looked in the log file referenced under the details icon on the popup.  It reported several places in the file that it was already installed. ??

Anyway, I think I'm finally making progress.  I'm not sure if the logger interval for cumulusmx and the station are both now set for 10 or 30, but the DOS window stopped saying they were not the same.

Now, I can do something other than tinker with cumulusmx for a while - maybe even stream something on TV with the wife.  I don't want to know how many hours I have spent looking at the cumulusmx screen trying to get this thing to work. 

I suspect you might be a bit fed up with these issues as well.  Again, thanks for your help.  I don't know how I would have gotten it to work without your advice and suggestions.

doug bolt

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »

Great.  These things never stop to amaze sometimes!

I'm doubtful that it is uploading data to my website, but I have not explored that question.  I did transfer the webfiles folder to the /cumulusmx/folder.
It is not intended that the full \webfiles folder be FTP but only all the files and folders inside it to where you want your site to be located, such as: www.boltassociates.com/cumulusmx/folder/webfiles and then that would be ok. 
However I presume you would want it in http://www.boltassociates.com/cumulusmx or http://www.boltassociates.com/weather/cumulusmx and then FTP the contents of \webfiles to that remote folder.

And in Internet settings => Web/FTP Site = Remote FTP Directory enter cumulusmx or weather/cumulusmx
Or, depending on your webhost it may be public_html/cumulusmx or public_html/weather/cumulusmx but if you are already updating with VWS then use a similar path as it has.

I'm not sure if the logger interval for cumulusmx and the station are both now set for 10 or 30, but the DOS window stopped saying they were not the same.
If the startup screen doesn't highlight it then it is ok.  As you've likely seen, the CMX interval is set in Station settings => General Settings.
If you want the Davis data logger to be the same, CumulusMX can do that through the Davis Advanced Options => Logger interval.
Having them the same (I use 10 min) is important if you want to have the same interval in your data logs from when CumulusMX is running and from when it is stopped and then restarted and doing the catch up from the logger.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline dbolt

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »
I am still having problems creating and uploading proper files for viewing on my website.  The cumulusmx login credentials allow permission to /htdocs and below.  If I copy the index.htm file from webfiles into /htdocs, I can view it with a browser (http://www.boltassociates.com/cumulusmx/index.htm), but I have not been able to make it contain current data.  The Dashboard is current.

The attached jpg shows a portion of the FTPlog.txt file and FZilla windows.  I think critical files are missing from webfiles folder on the website. 

Any additional help you can offer will be appreciated.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2021, 11:39:33 PM »
You should not have the web folder nor the webfiles folders on your remote, so you should remove them.
Upload the contends (all the files and folders from within your C:\CumulusMX\webfiles) to your remote location - you would need to first create that remote location i.e. htdocs/cumulusmx

In CumulusMX FTP settings set your FTP Directory to that remote location - similar to the attached. My GoDaddy host uses public_html/ so public_html/cumulusmx but from what you have indicated yours may us htdocs/ for your root so htdocs/cumulusmx

If you have the Internet settings correct then CumulusMX will update all the necessary files in C:\CumulusMX\web to your remote /cumulusmx at your set interval - i.e. 5 minutes

That will be a good start.

Enjoy,
Paul