Author Topic: WANTED... Weather Instrument Shelter.  (Read 5077 times)

Offline tybeert

Re: WANTED... Weather Instrument Shelter.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
Metcheck in the UK sells nice instruments screens in a few different sizes. I live in Kentucky and had the small one shipped over. They are not cheap, but the small shelter (including shipping) is still cheaper than the Jim-Gem Forestry Suppliers model that is also on Amazon. Here is picture of mine...

https://www.metcheck.co.uk/collections/instrument-screens
CoCoRaHS KY-FR-22
Maximum Proteus Barometer | Ecowitt GW1100 | Ecowitt WS68 | Ecowitt WH40 | Ecowitt WH32/31 | Taylor Max/Min Thermometer | Taylor Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer/Hygrometer | Taylor Sling Psychrometer | Stratus Manual Rain Gauge | ClimeMET Stevenson Screen

Offline abates99

• AFFD-WX
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »
Looks good,  thanks for sharing!
KI5DSP
NWS/CWOP-F0859
Weather Underground - KARSHFL3
COCORAHS - AR-SH-19

Offline Laagaard

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
I have an old style one that mounts on 4 legs.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2021, 04:11:20 AM »
made my own many moons ago, I cut up louvre doors, far simple than making them all :)
Take special interest in the roof, it has to have very good insulation, ie, the double layer.

It was a work in progress at the time, i added a fan in the roof because of the location against the brush

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:15:39 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2021, 06:06:41 PM »
The full-size shield is next to impossible to find now. Called Novalynx they had a master carpenter that has quit so shelters are no longer available through them. If not a master carpenter you can still make your own close to full size using these. I went ahead and ordered 4 louvers and plan on doing exactly that. My idea is to mount on a post vs 4 legs, however.

If I get it finished I'll post a few pics here. I've been wanting to do some comparisons against the custom Davis shield with elect AC. Can't find my Townsend thermometer mount after a couple of moves so may just test using a second SHT31 instead of my NWS style thermometers I have been keeping. 

The main thing when building your own is to have a double roof with a 1-2" air gap and also drill large holes in the bottom. The NWS unit I once owned ran 1x4 boards along the bottom with about a 3/4" gap between each board so plenty of airflow.  The Novalynx just drilled some holes that look too small for my liking.  Here is the link to the Novilynx design: https://novalynx.com/manuals/380-605-manual.pdf   

The louvers I ordered are here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Al-s-Millworks-16-in-x-24-in-Rectangular-Wood-Built-in-Screen-Gable-Louver-Vent-V-113-16X24-CD/202535190
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:30:33 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
OMG you've misplaced your Townsend thermometer mount?  I'll be right over to go through all your stuff looking for that.  Very old school.  I recall about 55 years ago lusting over this kind of shelter, but especially the goodies mounted inside at a Ranger Station.  I think they also had some sort of spring driven clock drive Bendix humidity recorder in there too.

Anyway, please post the pictures of your progress.  I see from the link for louvers you sent there are some white PVC ones, too.  Is wood preferable, or would the PVC stuff be OK for maybe a 10 year life in the mid latitude sun's rays?

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 08:20:43 PM »
I know what you mean Dale about losing the mount.  ](*,)  I wanted to stay as close to the original shelter made of wood and was thinking of going with a flat black interior to reduce inside reflection. Ideally using a whitewash on the exterior is how they were painted it has more of a chalky look but I'll probably use a high gloss latex.   
Randy

Offline scudwatcher

• Billy T. Forecaster Webmaster csraweather.net
  • Senior Contributor
  • Amateur Radio KC4SRA csraweather.net
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 09:19:33 AM »
In case you are still looking for an instrument shelter, I have designed my own.  Option A is without the side louvered panels.  Option B (which I choose) is with the both sides and front door louvered panels.  The interior width of the shelter was designed at 18 inches.  Enough clearance for my maximum and minimum thermometer w/townsend support operation.  You could design the interior width for more room, if preferred. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 09:28:45 AM »
I will be more than happy to forward the design drawings (crude), due to image size restrictions here.  My contact email is:
csraweather@hotmail.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 10:57:12 AM »
Better a scud watcher than a scud-runner.  You never know for sure where those nasty towers are when you are hugging the ground.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, I'm interested in the plans.  I may have time for a winter's project.  Nice equipment you house in yours and thx for pictures.

I never had a Nimbus system but I know a few guys who are really enthusiastic about theirs.

Are you afflicted with stinging insects and nest builders where you are?  While it might cut down a bit on air flow, I'm thinking I'd have to put a plastic fine mesh screen along the inside of all areas open to the outside to cut down on paper hornets and those nasty yellow jackets that are persistent.  Do you have an Air Quality device inside?  I'd think that it would work well since it isn't needing to change instantly to the air, and would be OK, too.
Thanks, Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2021, 11:10:27 AM »
Looks nice  [tup] only 2 sides louvered :?:  I'm making one around 4 sides louvered 16" wide by 24" high. Simple design because I'm not a carpenter using 2"x2" cedar framing and will use L-bracks to reinforce corners. I found a damaged (discounted) sheet of 4x8' smart house siding for the double louver roof and floor. The lumberyard actually thought it would work in the elements better than treated plywood that doesn't absorb paint well anyway.   

The Townsend mount is designed to be spun to reset the maximum thermometer so needs to be wide enough area if planning to reset with mount. You can always take the thermometer out and shake it down too if not enough room to spin.  The thermometer should be mounted above the max temps expected if using the mount to prevent mercury separation so around the 110f area and test slowly making sure it doesn't hit anything prior to a good twirl. Some Townend mounts need a little oil to free them up for that first time too.   
Randy

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2021, 11:23:36 AM »
Hi,
  I have had my shelter in field service since February 2018.  Have not had any issues with insect nests.  A mesh should work fine for prevention, but would not use a black colored mesh?  I do have a PURPLE AIR PA-II-SD and VOC sensor, an AIR QUALITY EGG PM2.5, PM10, CO2 AND O3 sensor and a DAVIS AIRLINK sensor all housed in the CRS.  A little tight, I might add, but still can twirl my max thermometer to reset.  I really wish I had about another three inches width for clearance. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »
Good deal I just ordered a Purple Air too. Was going to mount under the front porch but you have given me an idea down the road inside the shelter.
Randy

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 11:28:05 AM »
Thanks, ValentineWeather!  16" width?  I would suggest at least 18 inches if not more, if you can afford it.  Extra room for future sensors? Four sided louvers would be necessary?  Good Luck and post some images here after deployed in the field?

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
I have had my Purple Air sensors deployed in field service since 2018.  I believe there is hardly a difference between readings if mounted under a porch awning for example.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
The louvers are 16" wide so the box will be 20 x 26 not counting the roof. Big enough for what I plan on using it for primarily my psycho-dyne and having a second Sensirion SHT-31 for comparison between the primary AC fan aspirated shield and the Stevenson Screen. I'm a comparison fanatic you might say always looking at different setups and testing what works best.
I actually think all radiation shields should be painted with a flat black interior. I've tested many and the less reflectiveness the more accurate the reading coming off the instruments.
Randy

anything