Author Topic: It's NOT -40 outside!  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Lundwall

It's NOT -40 outside!
« on: June 29, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
Have a SmartHub connected to a 5-in-1 (Model VN1TXCX2) along with three additional temperature/humidity sensors placed in other locations. My indoor display (Model 01512) and My AcuRite software have been working great for 5 years.

Recently my 5-in-1 started acting up as it was displaying temperatures way too hot. I suspected the fan was clogged so I took it apart and cleaned it. It was good for a couple of days. Then it started reading -40 for a while. Then it lost connection to my display but was connected to the SmartHub still displaying -40. Changing batteries didn’t fix it. Tried several things including taking it apart and cleaning it again (looking for corrosion), hard reset on the display, new batteries in the display, changing channels, etc. After all that it now connects to the display but only at -40 degrees and none of the other onboard sensors such as wind or rain seem to work. The My AcuRite software does recognize it (under Setting) as a device so I can add it to the SmartHub, but it shows red (not connected) in the Dashboard and on the app.

Okay, it’s been running for 5 years. Time for a new one. Ordered a new 5-in-1 (Model VN1TXCX2). Add batteries and set on the proper channel. Connects to the display and the SmartHub. But it is still -40. Wind and rain sensors seem to work. The SmartHub is not pushing the data to the internet and Weather Underground however. Light on the SmartHub is blue – it’s connected. Weather Underground says I’m offline. Internet is working fine or I wouldn’t have been able to send this.

I’m lost. What’s next?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: It's NOT -40 outside!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
I would first try to get the new 5-N-1 and your display working correctly. Remove the batteries from the old (bad) 5-N-1 to remove it from your setup. Make sure the new 5-N-1 and your display are using the same channel. Redo setup on your display to pick up the new 5-N-1. It should work.

Unplug and remove the batteries from the smarthub/access, count to ten and reconnect everything. You should then be able to select the new 5-N-1 in MyAcuRite after a couple of minutes.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Lundwall

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »
I would first try to get the new 5-N-1 and your display working correctly. Remove the batteries from the old (bad) 5-N-1 to remove it from your setup. Make sure the new 5-N-1 and your display are using the same channel. Redo setup on your display to pick up the new 5-N-1. It should work.

Unplug and remove the batteries from the smarthub/access, count to ten and reconnect everything. You should then be able to select the new 5-N-1 in MyAcuRite after a couple of minutes.

Thank you for the help and suggestion. Have spent that last four hours today doing exactly the steps stated above many times over. Using either the old 5-in-1 or the new 5-in-1, the Display and the Acurite Access both show the same thing: -40 degrees. (I know how to get back on WU once we solve the -40 issue).

Thanks for the input, any other suggestions?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »
Sounds like your temp/thermos board is going bad, Acurite sells replacements .
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Lundwall

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 06:45:24 PM »

Thank you. I can understand the 5 year old one displaying -40 for that reason but this is a brand new unit. If that's the case, it goes back.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
You need to delete the old 5n1 from Myacurite, and then add the new 5n1 once the signal is found.... you will need to set up sharing again too I believe.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
Not sure what you mean when you say "Display and the Acurite Access both show the same thing: -40 degrees"?  Do you mean Display and MyAcuRite? When you remove the batteries from the 5-N-1 does the temp change to dashes "--"?

My indoor display (Model 01512)
I can't find a display model 01512 only a Iris bundle that comes with a 06016M display. Try pressing the reset button on the display. Its located in the battery compartment of the 06016M display.
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-color-display-weather-ticker-wind-and-rain.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Lundwall

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
You need to delete the old 5n1 from Myacurite, and then add the new 5n1 once the signal is found.... you will need to set up sharing again too I believe.

Thank you for the input. Yes, I know these things but issue is why even the new one shows -40. But thanks again.

Offline Lundwall

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 08:25:09 PM »
Not sure what you mean when you say "Display and the Acurite Access both show the same thing: -40 degrees"?  Do you mean Display and MyAcuRite? When you remove the batteries from the 5-N-1 does the temp change to dashes "--"?

My indoor display (Model 01512)
I can't find a display model 01512 only a Iris bundle that comes with a 06016M display. Try pressing the reset button on the display. Its located in the battery compartment of the 06016M display.
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-color-display-weather-ticker-wind-and-rain.html

Acurite Access is the central hub component that feeds MyAcurite.com and Weather Underground. What I mean by they "both show the same thing: -40 degrees" is that if you look at the Display sitting on my desk it says -40 and if you call up MyAcurite.com or my weather station on Weather Underground they also say -40. You can see my station at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTNHOLLA7

"When you remove the batteries from the 5-N-1 does the temp change to dashes "--"?" Yes

As stated in the original message, I've changed batteries and reset the display several times.

There is no problem with connecting to either the display or the Access. The problem is that they both read -40.

Thank you for the input.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
Have you opened the new sensor and determined that the thermo/hygro board is connected to the main board? It just plugs in, so maybe it is loose or not hooked up?

Offline Lundwall

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 09:46:29 PM »
Have you opened the new sensor and determined that the thermo/hygro board is connected to the main board? It just plugs in, so maybe it is loose or not hooked up?

Good idea. I just opened it up and checked the connection. I disconnected it and reconnected it. Put it back together and still have -40. The other sensors seem to work though. But leave it to me to always buy the broken new one.... Thanks for the suggestion. Needed to be checked.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »

Thank you. I can understand the 5 year old one displaying -40 for that reason but this is a brand new unit. If that's the case, it goes back.
Just because its new don't mean there cant be a problem, if still under warranty contact aurite
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »
Well, I got -40 on my Atlas display and myAccurite a couple weeks ago.  I thought that it might be battery related since I wasn't getting any readings (rain, etc).  I tried to re-add the sensor without success.  I finally had time to try to trouble shoot today.  I replaced the batteries. Now I get -- on the display and no other readings because it can't locate the Atlas.  myAccurite says the batteries are normal, signal is weak and atlas is offline.  I believe this atlas is dead.  Anyway to know for sure?  Sadly, it is out of warranty.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 08:27:33 PM »
How do you send your data to MyAcurite.com, do you have an Access or just your display? Does the Access find it? Sounds like you followed most of the following suggestions, so it seems to be dead to me.

https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009803773-AcuRite-Atlas-7-in-1-Reset

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »
I use the Access to send data to myAcurite.  I just went to the IP address of the Access and did a Save & Restart.  The Atlas wasn't found.  I guess it must be dead.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 09:06:40 AM »
Just because you can, I would totally dis assemble the atlas to get to the main board and check the connections there. I would also check the connections behind the big solar panel.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 09:20:23 AM »
I just went out and checked my Atlas and it has a red LED light on its bottom that flashes when it sends a signal. Might have to wait 20-30 seconds before it flashes.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 09:29:07 AM »
Also if the thermo/hygro board down at the bottom of the radiation shield is not plugged in tight, the signal sent to the displays will be -40.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Thanks.  I'll get it down in the next couple of weeks and see what I can find.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »
They do sell a replacement temperature and Humidity sensor it that's the problem.

Temperature and Humidity Sensor Replacement:
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-sensors-and-parts/replacement-parts/acurite-atlas-temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline elena

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »
I had the same problem.  I used to get -40C during the night, and loosing connection all the time. After replacing my Atlas, I had the same problem. I did many experiments with locations of the station, and so on. Finaly, I found that  the problem was the lighting sensor. The moment I removed it,  all the problems were resolved...at least for now...one week. I hope this helps.

anything