Author Topic: WifiLogger stopped uploading Json data then restarted by itself  (Read 1378 times)

Offline WexfordWx

• Wexford Harbour Weather Info
WifiLogger stopped uploading Json data then restarted by itself
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »
I run the weather station https://www.wexfordharbour.info using a Davis Vantage Pro2 console and sensors linked by radio. Formerly the data was sent from the console by Weatherlink into a Raspberry Pi and uploaded to my site. Over the last year the RPi has suffered a series of failures, so December I purchased a WifiLogger 2 (WFL) to replace the Weatherlink/RPi combination. I configured the WFL to upload data to the website by WiFi using the Json option. I left temporarily the Weatherlink/Pi system running on the Pro2 console and mounted the WifiLogger into an spare Vantage Vue console. Both the Vue and the Pro2 receive weather data wirelessly from the same set of sensors.

The online data are processed using php scripts I wrote for the purpose.

The WFL stopped sending data after a few days and required a power-down/power-up to get it running again. I put this down to a power transient and paid it no mind. However this morning, the stopped uploading the Json files at 07:24 UT but,by itself, it starting sending again at 11:39 UT.

Has anyone else had problems with WFL dropouts? Does it need a software upgrade? Was I unwise to use the old Vantage Vue console (2013) in which to mount the WifiLogger?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: WifiLogger stopped uploading Json data then restarted by itself
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
Can you check what firmware version of WiFiLogger do you have?
It is in Setup -> System

If it is 2.33 then please click on UPDATE button on the bottom of System page.
If it is 2.34 then the issue has to be examine more.

Offline WexfordWx

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me WiFiLogger :-)
I will check when I can, at the moment I am not permitted access to it under Covid-19 regulations as it is located in an RNLI Lifeboat Station. The problem is still happening; for example the WiFiLogger did not transmit between 2021-02-10 19:24 and 00:12 on the next morning.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 03:25:22 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me WiFiLogger :-)
I will check when I can, at the moment I am not permitted access to it under Covid-19 regulations as it is located in an RNLI Lifeboat Station. The problem is still happening; for example the WiFiLogger did not transmit between 2021-02-10 19:24 and 00:12 on the next morning.

I had made multiple changes in firmware 2.36. Please try it. It should solve your issue.

Offline WexfordWx

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
I still have the same problem WiFiLogger although it does not seem to be quite as bad. My WiFiLogger2 had been randomly dropping out an average of an hour's Davis Pro2 data per day and then restarting. On April 22 it ceased transmitting Json files to WiFi altogether. First I checked the version which was 2.34. Then I updated the firmware to version 2.36 and started logging again. The logger worked flawlessly for 4 days, uploading Json files to WiFi every 3 minutes without missing one file. However today (April 28th) it dropped out from 12:09 to 15:06 UT and then restarted.

The problem seems to be with the WiFi Logger itself. I have two Davis Pro2 consoles  mounted side by side, each with a WFL 2 inside. They both receive the same wireless data. The WFL I purchased last March (ver 2.36) is working fine. The older WFL purchased Dec 2020 (was ver 2.34 and now 2.36) is the problem one.

What can be done to fix this?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 04:24:50 AM »
What can be done to fix this?

Both are WiFiLogger2? Or one is green WFL1?
Could you make a photo of bottom side of the loggers?

Offline WexfordWx

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
Thank you WiFiLogger. I am afraid that the issue has disimproved. The newer logger failed to upload data from 08:39 to 10:51 this morning.

Secondly: Both are WiFiLogger 2. Invoice details below show that. Also, here are some details from the JSON files wflreg.json from each of the loggers.

Do you still need me to photograph the undersides of the two loggers? Do you need more details from these files? Is there a way to PM on this forum?

NEWER WFL
{"type":"registration","wid":189561383235160,"stnname":"WiFiLogger","stnmod":16,"ver":3.83,"mac":"AC:67:B2:E9:2E:58","apmac":"AC:67:B2:E9:2E:59","ip":"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx","wflmod":"WiFiLogger2","ssid":"xxxxxxxx","rssi":-55,"wifimod":1,"lastboot":1619689812,"uptime":46151,"wflver":"2.36",

OLDER WFL
{"type":"registration","wid":189561383273228,"stnname":"WiFiLogger","stnmod":16,"ver":3.15,"mac":"AC:67:B2:E9:C3:0C","apmac":"AC:67:B2:E9:C3:0D","ip":"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx","wflmod":"WiFiLogger2","ssid":"xxxxxxxx","rssi":-58,"wifimod":1,"lastboot":1619618932,"uptime":117234,"wflver":"2.36",

Invoice Date:11 Mar 2021 to briancoulter40@gmail.com
Description
Quantity   Price   Amount
WiFi Logger V2
1   GBP 124.17   GBP 124.17

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Invoice Date 18 Dec 2020 to briancoulter40@gmail.com

WiFi Logger v2
1      GBP 149.00        GBP 149.00     

We’re delighted to announce the launch of a data logger for all Davis Vue
and VP2/Envoy consoles ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline WexfordWx

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 07:08:17 AM »
The problem with WFL having significant random gaps in transmission is largely cured by updating the firmware to Ver 2.38 and setting it to reboot every day. It has not resolved it completely but it appears to be OK for all practical purposes. The attached log shows that, monitoring of two identical Pro 2 consoles side-by-side each with a WFL logger inside, WFL2 with Ver 2.38 had only two gaps of 6 minutes over 19 days while WFL with Ver 2.36 had 19 gaps ranging from 6 minutes to 4.5 hours.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]