Author Topic: Weather Display + Wireless Webcam  (Read 1630 times)

Offline ingogliar

Weather Display + Wireless Webcam
« on: March 18, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »
I am not a newbie with respect to PWS, but I am completely clueless with respect to webcams.

My school is setting up a Davis PWS which will use WeatherDisplay as the software for the interface (via FTP) to a new website (Saratoga scripts).

We need the webcam to be self-powered (solar) and able - obviously - to connect to the WeatherDisplay software.

Is this even possible and, if so, to which company should I look to for a decent webcam.

Without wishing to trouble the good folks here too much, just one or two suggestions and I promise to do the heavy lifting research!

Thanks.

Offline WeatherEnthusiastNZ

Re: Weather Display + Wireless Webcam
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »
I don't which of these is solar, but here is a list of some options which might help.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38632.0

:)

Offline ingogliar

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 06:08:47 PM »
Thank you so very much -- I will look at the list carefully. Thank you for taking a part of your time to help me (and my students) - it is appreciated.

Offline rsrkaslo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 01:52:24 AM »
I don't know how well this would work for you, but I actually have an Android app I created that I am running as my webcam for Weather Underground.  I'm using an old cell phone (Android 4.4), but it works on newer phones, too.  Mine is plugged in, and is sitting indoors in a window, but there are solar chargers for cell phones, as well as weatherproof enclosures.  So I would think something could be rigged up.

The app can ftp to whatever server you tell it.  The image can either have a name of your choice (such as "image.jpg" for WU), or a built-in name with a timestamp.  It allows you to pick the picture interval, the crop settings, a scaling factor, and you can set an optional maximum file size.  It adjusts the JPEG quality to meet the size.  You can also tell it to ignore black images.

I have no idea how much power it is actually using, but the app isn't doing anything until the timer says it is time to capture another image.

I hope to put it on the Play store in about three weeks after I make sure it is robust.

Full disclosure:  I plan on charging a dollar or two for the app, so that after a few people buy it I will be able to tell my wife all those hours I spent working on the app were clearly worth it!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 02:47:18 AM »
Is there a way we could get alerted when you publish? I have an old S5 that could get repurposed.

Offline rsrkaslo

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »
I'll let you know when the app is published on this thread.

One other wild thought on a remote camera solution.  Maybe there is a wildlife camera that can be put into an interval mode?  If so, could you put a SD card that has WiFi in it, and grab and delete images from another computer, or a Raspberry Pi, etc?  I've never used one of those SD cards, so I don't know what is possible.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 01:52:58 PM »
I have one of those WiFi SD cards.

When powered, it becomes a WiFi HotSpot and with Android App you can view, share, download the photos.

Offline rsrkaslo

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
My Android phone app that works as a Weather Underground camera is finally released (family medical issues greatly delayed things).  I have been running it for a few months now.  Full disclosure: it is a paid app (about $2 USD).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.impractical.ftpcam

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
What version of Android is reqd?

Offline rsrkaslo

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 06:47:37 PM »
Any version since 4.4.  I have tried it on devices running 4.4 through 10, but it should work on 11, too.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 08:49:50 PM »
Any version since 4.4.  I have tried it on devices running 4.4 through 10, but it should work on 11, too.

OK, Perfect. That S5 should be 5 or 6 in it.

anything