Author Topic: Cumulus MX setup with WLL (RPi4)  (Read 1364 times)

Offline thebrookster

Cumulus MX setup with WLL (RPi4)
« on: January 16, 2021, 06:51:01 AM »
Good day folks,

Having recently received my new setup, I have the weatherstation communicating with weatherlink happily.
I also have installed the Pi, and installed the Cumulus MX/Mono onto it.

However, despite filling in the various fields for approving the WLL, I have no data.

Station type is Davis Weatherlink Live
API Key & Secret are there.
Station ID is not, however it states that it will find this info from the API?
TCP/IP is set to WLL IP address.

As far as I know, everything else is correct.

However, whenever I try to start Cumulus, I get the following message:
"No WeatherLink API station ID in the cumulus.ini file
The WeatherLink.com API is enabled, but no Station Id has been configured. Please correct this and restart Cumulus"

Can anyone please help me? What am I doing wrong here?

I should add, I only have a basic account with Weatherlink, if that makes a difference?

(And yes, I am aware that there is a dedicated Cumulus Forum, however I haven't joined it yet! So posting here in the off chance someone here has come across this issue before).

Cheers,

Phil

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Cumulus MX setup with WLL (RPi4)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:57:46 AM »
You can only retrieve historical data from weatherlink.com if you have the Pro subscription and so you will see that error message if you don't have Pro. However, that should make no difference to normal running of CumulusMX (other than the back-up/catch-up feature to retrieve historical data from wl.com won't be available).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline thebrookster

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 07:40:06 AM »
Okay, however I am not receiving any data at all from Weatherlink Live!

All readings are blank, and the field for last updates are also blank. I still suspect that I may have missed a vital step somewhere in the proceedings, just I'll be damned if I can work out where!

Cheers,

Phil

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 07:46:10 AM »
No Pro subscription also means you will have no health data about your system either. So....
No battery/voltage status for the WLL.
No low battery warning for the ISS.
No reception stats for ISS to WLL, and WLL WiFi.
No firmware version information for the WLL.

When you start-up Cumulus without a Station Id defined, if the API details are correct it will list all the stations accessible from that API.
If there is only one, it will just start using that, if there is more than one then you have to identify which one you want to use and enter those details in the config.
Mark

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 07:47:38 AM »
Have you completed the full WLL configuration - selecting which transmitter id each primary sensor is associated with for instance. They will default to id #1.
Mark

Offline thebrookster

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 07:52:03 AM »
Have you completed the full WLL configuration - selecting which transmitter id each primary sensor is associated with for instance. They will default to id #1.

Errrrmmmmmm, No??

Let me peruse the wiki again, I must have missed this bit!

Phil

Offline thebrookster

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 08:19:19 AM »
Okay solved it.

It would not register any data without the station ID.
This is what I was getting:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I ran (following advice on the Cumulus Forum) with the debug switch on and found that Cumulus was finding the station ID, so I took that and inserted into the station settings page.

Rebooted, and everything working, except now I get the error message to say it cannot download historical data (obvs, I only have a basic account!!).
This is what I was got this time:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

No need to change sensor settings etc, everything is pretty much set as default for me (first time doing this, and only the one station). Glad I got to the bottom of this anyhow!

Cheers,

Phil

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
OK, but if you do not have a Pro subscription, then as you found it cannot pull anything from wl.com. So if you leave the API fields blank it will not even try.
Mark

Offline thebrookster

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »
OK, but if you do not have a Pro subscription, then as you found it cannot pull anything from wl.com. So if you leave the API fields blank it will not even try.

Yeah, but then how do I pull the data from the Weatherlink Live module? I don't have a console or alternative logger, and I couldn't find any details anywhere for alternative methods of receiving the data?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 01:42:27 PM »
You have selected 'Weatherlink Live' in the top 'Station type' setting?

And, further down, in the short Weatherlink Live section, enabled Autodiscovery and checked that your sensor ID channels match the hardware settings?

And, if either of those two settings was incorrect, stopped and then restarted CMX? That should be all that's needed for most users.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline thebrookster

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 01:50:31 PM »
You have selected 'Weatherlink Live' in the top 'Station type' setting?

And, further down, in the short Weatherlink Live section, enabled Autodiscovery and checked that your sensor ID channels match the hardware settings?

And, if either of those two settings was incorrect, stopped and then restarted CMX? That should be all that's needed for most users.

Ahah!! Tried, and working! That simplifies matters somewhat, all the instructions I had found gave blurb on using the API's, hence i had (blindly??) followed that route, believing that to be how Cumulus collected the data. However, more than happy to be proven wrong  [tup]

So now working fine without any API gubbins included.

Cheers guys!!

Phil

anything