Author Topic: New upgrade to WS-5000!  (Read 1663 times)

Offline WesC

New upgrade to WS-5000!
« on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:41 PM »
Hi all, I'm new here, but have been doing the weather station thing for several years. I had a trusty WS-1001 wifi that I really liked, but the harsh SoCal sun was really beating it up and after almost 7 years the Console finally fried and so I upgraded to a new WS-5000 which I just put up yesterday. Really liking it! I'm going to get a PM2.5 sensor whenever they are available again.

Assembled and installed!
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAGLEND64

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:03:32 PM by WesC »
Ambient Weather WS-5000

WU KCAGLEND64

Ambient Weather

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New upgrade to WS-5000!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 05:44:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Nice upgrade!

One of the benefits of a weather station with separate components, wind separate from rain gauge, is that you can more optimally site the various components. That said I would not have mounted the rain gauge all the way up the pole.

Here is a good reference guide that is easy to follow.
https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WesC

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »
Thanks!
Yes, I do realize that its not optimal... unfortunately I am in a situation where most of my very small "backyard" is concrete with dense fruit trees. I have taller homes on all sides of me and very tall Cypress trees as well. Due to the exterior construction of my home, I cannot mount anything to the structure. I could potentially mount the rain gauge somewhere better, so I'll investigate that. In any case, we get so little rain here in SoCal that I almost don't need one! 8-)

This corner of my yard is the only spot where I can mount the instruments without being shadowed by trees or hit by them in the strong winds we have here, or have them be unduly influenced by the hot concrete. Interestingly, it looks similar to the last image in the document you shared, though my pole is only about 20' high.  That being said, it still seems to work pretty well, when comparing data with all of the other stations around me.
Ambient Weather WS-5000

WU KCAGLEND64

Ambient Weather

Offline TommyRox

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 11:07:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Nice upgrade!

One of the benefits of a weather station with separate components, wind separate from rain gauge, is that you can more optimally site the various components. That said I would not have mounted the rain gauge all the way up the pole.

Here is a good reference guide that is easy to follow.
https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

I too have just purchased the WS-5000, installed yesterday and have mine setup the same way with the rain gauge on the top of the pole. Unfortunately it was designed to on go on top of a pole as there is not "pass through". What is your reason why this is not a good location? I will post pictures later today so you have an idea of how I mounted mine.

Offline wxperson

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »
I have my rain collector in a different location.  Photo of Ambient, up about 25' along with other stations.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]