Author Topic: No WU icon on my console  (Read 532 times)

Offline yamvmax

No WU icon on my console
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:57:53 AM »
So i see the ambient icon on my console, but no WU icon. Yes, i am connected to WU. Not a big deal, just curious why its not showing. Any ideas?

Offline HP11

Re: No WU icon on my console
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »
I had a similar situation with my newly purchased WS 2000. Go to your Ambient Weather dashboard online. On the left column select "Devices." Ensure there is a green check beneath the WU icon. If not, select the icon and proceed with the requested information. This should correct the issue. Good Luck!

Offline yamvmax

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
Its checked already. I unchecked, and re entered, still nothing. Strange

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 10:25:29 AM »
HP11,
That is not good advice. Or rather it is incomplete.

With Ambient stations there are two ways to upload to WU.

• Console upload to WU - This is where you go into your console and configure WU upload settings. It is easier to do this via the awnet mobile app.
    Console - - >> WU
  • Ambientweather.net upload to WU - This is where your console only uploads to Ambientweather.net. But then you configure your Ambientweather.net account to forward data to WU. This is indirect. This is not the best way. You will not get WU rapidfire 16 second uploads, and instead you get delayed 1 minute uploads to WU.
    If you use this method there will be no WU icon on the console.
    Console - - >> Ambientweather.net - - >> WU

Whatever method you choose, DO NOT do both methods.

If your WU icon is not showing on your display console, then maybe it is because you are not uploading with the console, but it is the other method via Ambientweather.net. If Ambientweather.net goes down, and it does sometimes, then your WU goes down too. It is always better to go direct. Same thing applies to CWOP uploads done via AmbientCWOP.com, as that goes through a bunch of hops and is not direct. Best way to upload to CWOP is with your own local software, and some good options are Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX. (But you'll need a GW1000)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:16:09 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline yamvmax

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 10:30:28 AM »
So i disabled on ambientweather.net, and have info in my console. Rebooted, still no icon. Ill give it a little while.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:36:53 AM »
Ambient added the ability to upload to WU via Ambientweather.net because it was troublesome for some people to properly enter their WU credentials into their console. It's just user error. Either they don't keep the correct station ID case (UPPER) or they can't get the password key right because they see zero as letter O, or they add extra spaces,....etc. It's user error and it is frustrating for technical support. So they added the Ambientweather.net upload to WU so that they could copy paste credentials from WU. The Ambientweather.net upload to WU is useless otherwise. This is not speculation. I got that from Ed.

But since Ambient also sells some junk that is not from Fine Offset. That other junk may not upload to WU and thus if it uploads to Ambientweather.net, then they can forward upload it to WU. So I suppose there is that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:42:46 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
So i disabled on ambientweather.net, and have info in my console. Rebooted, still no icon. Ill give it a little while.

As Galfert said, the by far most common reason for this is incorrectly entered information in the console, I've done it, terribly easy to make a mistake.
You mentioned that WU was updating with your data, so we have to assume that was coming from AmbientWether.net, which , you have now turned off. So you can verify now that WU is not updating, correct?

I would wait 24 hrs to see if it snaps in directly from the console.
I have also seen this happen when I use my AP as opposed to direct to my main router's AP (if you have multiple) , I would suggest , although this sounds weird and makes absolutely no sense, to restart your router.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:52:10 AM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline yamvmax

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 10:54:17 AM »

As Galfert said, the by far most common reason for this is incorrectly entered information in the console, I've done it, terribly easy to make a mistake.
You mentioned that WU was updating with your data, so we have to assume that was coming from AmbientWether.net, which , you have now turned off. So you can verify now that WU is not updating, correct?

I would wait 24 hrs to see if it snaps in directly from the console.
I have also seen this happen when I use my AP as opposed to direct to my main router's AP (if you have multiple) , I would suggest , although this sounds weird and makes absolutely no sense, to restart your router.

I do have a mesh system, so maybe its that, i will try rebooting router. All info is correct in console.

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:34 AM »
Also trying to directly connecting to your main router, if you can
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »
Another tip is to change the WU credentials to something totally wrong. Save those purposefully wrong settings. Then go back in and make it all correct. This may seem as an odd suggestion, but I speculate that maybe the console doesn't really allow editing letter case. I've seen this issue in other software many times in my IT career. It looks like it takes....but internally it doesn't update to your changes. You could also reset the console but that is more drastic of a measure and you lose history high/low and calibrations.
Tele-Pole

Offline yamvmax

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »
OK, so i deleted the device on WU. Added a new one. Changed the info on console to new credentials, and WALLA, WU icon is on. Thanks everyone.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
Deleting the device from Ambientweather.net or on WU is not necessary. Just turning off the WU upload is all that is required.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:19:31 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline yamvmax

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 11:17:47 AM »
Deleting the device from Ambientweather.net is not necessary. Just turning off the WU upload is all that is required.
I meant i deleted my station on WU, then started over adding a "new" device. Gave me new credentials. Added that to console, and immediately connected.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 11:21:48 AM »
Yes, I just caught that I misread. But still deleting device on WU is drastic. But since you really had no history, then I suppose you've done no harm. But if you were coming from an old station with years of WU history then deleting the device is not a good approach.
Tele-Pole

Offline yamvmax

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »
Yes, I just caught that I misread. But still deleting device on WU is drastic. But since you really had no history, then I suppose you've done no harm. But if you were coming from an old station with years of WU history then deleting the device is not a good approach.
Ahh, didn't think of that part. Yes, that would not be good.