Author Topic: Weather Underground Webcam Setup  (Read 2139 times)

Offline spiceyux

Weather Underground Webcam Setup
« on: December 08, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
I know that many have issues with setting up an FTP webcam with WeatherUnderground. I recently took the plunge and was successful so thought I'd share my experience.

I've had an Acurite 5-in-1, for about a year and a half, and have always wanted to add a camera to the mix.
Last week I jumped in with a Reolink RLC-511 PoE camera.

At first, I thought I was sunk trying to set up but was able to get there. The biggest thing was time. At first, setting up a camera and expecting it to appear, immediately, online was my biggest hurdle. It takes time to come online.

I set up my camera as an FTP camera with WU and here are my settings.
Basically:
  • WU User ID = FTP Username
  • WU Upload Key / Password = FTP Password
  • File length = 10
  • File Type = Picture Only
  • Interval = 300 Seconds (5 minutes)

Then wait. I went to sleep and checked in the morning...
Once it catches, it seems to update about every 30 minutes.
The image I've attached is the WU FTP Device added confirmation screen on the left, on the right is the Reolink MacOS desktop client.

Hopefully this help and others have some success!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:28:45 PM by spiceyux »

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
Re: Weather Underground Webcam Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »
Today I just tried to get my webcams back online on my Wunderground page KMELEEDS7 (Monument Hill Weather) after not having webcam images on WU for the last couple years with all the issues they'd been having.

I use 2 Reolink RLC 410-W 4.0MP IP webcams to grab images, with the Reolink software to FTP the images to WU.

I am happy to report that 1 out of the 2 cams started uploading to my WU page immediately! I was amazed! Sadly I don't know why the other one hasn't been so successful. I've made sure there are no typos in my settings, and when I do the 'FTP Test' in the Reolink software it says 'FTP Test Successful'. So with that being said I think its just playing the waiting game in order for the images to start showing up on my WU page. That cam still shows 'Offline' but the other is 'Online' and updating once every 5ish minutes.

Definitely a big improvement over how things have been for a while, I'm just hoping my other cam starts uploading. It's been 7 hours now and still nothing...

- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Lowgill_Weather

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »
I am also using a Reolink camera RLC-410-5mb set to 10 minute refresh but it is rarely updating. I was hoping there would be a logfile somewhere so I could confirm it was sending but I can't find anything. Camera keeps resetting to default password, no name and losing FTP settings that doesn't help (waiting for a reply from Reolink).
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILOWGILL2#history

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 08:00:25 AM »
Test the camera with a short, pre-made, known good, cable.  Reolink is fine for non critical use like a weather cam or watching the birds but not very good for anything else.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline rtryan30

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »
I've had couple cameras over years and deleting, reinstalling, new ID from WU, but updates still sporadic.  Had fine images and updates until Jan 1, 2021.  Reolink 410W and have reset, rebooted several times today and then get FTP test "successful" once or twice, but then fails after 1 time  Very strange!! Just tried "transport mode" on Reolink client to "PASV" and " FTP test succeeded".  Is that the trick.  Want to be able to share these images as today.  Thanks

Offline rsun

• Richard Sun's Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 09:04:23 PM »
Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

Offline gdyer911

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 05:31:55 PM »
So basically we're losing a feature that some of the core users have been fond of for years. As an amateur community we are your means to functionality. We provide our local weather and webcam images available to our communities and the local news service to highlight the variance from one area to the other. You mention you 'Have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years'. Really? - In my opinion the service has rode on the heels of the Legacy product without noticeable front end modifications or enhancements.
Bottom line is without the core hobbyist who enjoy the personalization of of their site, you will be left with a few novices who will be getting weather stations for a gift and will torment their retailer on 'How to figure out this WU thing'.
No this isn't a compatibility issue. a .jpg image from an ftp or a url is a .jpg so I don't see the camera issue.

This loss of the webcam feature is economical way to say 'We're done with your pictures. We only need your data to make the business model profitable'.

WU really had an appeal to it for the amateur weather broadcaster in days gone by.

I'm truly disappointed that your 'Core' really isn't the 'Personal' weather station.

Greg

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 05:45:18 PM »
So basically we're losing a feature that some of the core users have been fond of for years. As an amateur community we are your means to functionality. We provide our local weather and webcam images available to our communities and the local news service to highlight the variance from one area to the other. You mention you 'Have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years'. Really? - In my opinion the service has rode on the heels of the Legacy product without noticeable front end modifications or enhancements.
Bottom line is without the core hobbyist who enjoy the personalization of of their site, you will be left with a few novices who will be getting weather stations for a gift and will torment their retailer on 'How to figure out this WU thing'.
No this isn't a compatibility issue. a .jpg image from an ftp or a url is a .jpg so I don't see the camera issue.

This loss of the webcam feature is economical way to say 'We're done with your pictures. We only need your data to make the business model profitable'.

WU really had an appeal to it for the amateur weather broadcaster in days gone by.

I'm truly disappointed that your 'Core' really isn't the 'Personal' weather station.

Greg
Your preaching to the converted  ;) rsun is only quoting from the W.U. support page where this "announcement" has been posted.

https://support.weather.com/s/article/Webcam-hosting-service-is-discontinued-effective-October-21-2021?language=en_US
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:48:16 PM by jimi »
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline gdyer911

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
Sorry...Open mouth - Insert keyboard.

Thanks rsun - I appreciate the thread -

Greg

Offline rsun

• Richard Sun's Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 07:07:35 PM »
Yup, I was pretty disappointed.  I had had my "WeatherCam" up for almost 6 months before one day it stopped working, and yesterday I tried my best to figure out what's going on and then suddenly to stumble upon this "official" notice.  Disappointed they didn't make it more public, and instead I had to spend a lot of try troubleshooting.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »
They kept it pretty low profile, after reading your post I went looking for it, not that easy to find, a proper announcement and acknowledgement of the many uploaders contributions would at least have been a small consolation.

gdyer911
Totally agree with what you wrote, my camera was up and running for over 5 years, it's only really this year that its gone to ratshit ! W.U's actions are extremely disappointing.  :-(
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

anything