Author Topic: Resolved! - WS-2000 Unable to connect to wi-fi  (Read 2963 times)

Offline gkoertel

Resolved! - WS-2000 Unable to connect to wi-fi
« on: November 30, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
I did read all the webpages and followed as closely as I could the vague/inaccurate instructions on possible remedies - still not connected. Tried updating the wifi firmware via the awnet app - the ws-2000 isn't listed as a device in the app - so that goes nowhere. Called the Ambient Weather support line - a less than pleasant tech had me perform another factory reset and re-enter my wifi password after turning off the 5G band - still not connected. Their advice, try a shorter, less secure password. I have numerous IOT devices that work just fine on my network - does anyone have any advice? If not, its going back to Amazon.  :mad:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:27:27 PM by gkoertel »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2000 Unable to connect to wi-fi
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:53:03 PM »
set up a guest network 2.4 GHz with a simple password. This is just for testing. You have to be very patient and careful to match case with the onscreen keyboard of the WS-2000 when entering the password.

Make sure 5 GHz band is disabled. This must remain disabled until the WS-2000 makes its initial connection to WiFi. Once it is paired up with your WiFi then you can turn your 5 GHz band back on.

Make sure to power off any wireless mesh nodes if you have them. You can power them back up later after connecting the station to WiFi.

9 times out of 10 the problem is user error when entering in the WiFi password.

If your WiFi password has symbols then I would recommend sticking to those symbols that you get from pressing Shift and a number.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
I did read all the webpages and followed as closely as I could the vague/inaccurate instructions on possible remedies - still not connected. Tried updating the wifi firmware via the awnet app - the ws-2000 isn't listed as a device in the app - so that goes nowhere. Called the Ambient Weather support line - a less than pleasant tech had me perform another factory reset and re-enter my wifi password after turning off the 5G band - still not connected. Their advice, try a shorter, less secure password. I have numerous IOT devices that work just fine on my network - does anyone have any advice? If not, its going back to Amazon.  :mad:

I also had the same issue out-of-the-box and tried several dozen times until it finally connected.

Hard to say where the problem is. Perhaps the WS-2000 is not playing nice with certain routers. Routers do weird things sometimes...  a simple reboot might fix things. If you have a old spare router you can try connecting to it and see if that works.

Last thing..perhaps should be the first thing to try..update the WS-2000 display console firmware (not the WiFi) to the latest version using a microSD card. The latest firmware for the WS-2000 can be found here: https://help.ambientweather.net/help/ambient-weather-ws-2000-firmware-download-center/

And yes, make sure the SSID names match exactly. I believe they are case sensitive.

Hope that helps..
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline gkoertel

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - I had updated the display firmware previously so I messed around with it again last night - turned off the 5G radio in my router - did a factory reset - reselected my 2.4 wifi and reentered my password and went to bed. To my surprise, it was connected when I checked it this morning. Was able to find it in the awnet app and updated the wifi firmware - all good to go now!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Resolved! - WS-2000 Unable to connect to wi-fi
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole