Author Topic: Davis Pro2 do I need Weatherlink to upload to Weather Underground or just logger  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
I am going to be getting the Davis Pro2 and want to not only see the conditions on the console but also on my desktop, but also I want to be able to upload the conditions to Weather Underground.

I am wondering do I need to order the Davis 6100 weatherlink to do this or can I get my with the Pro2 6152 with the data logger, which would save me about $170?

Also if you don't have the weatherlink I am assuming you cannot upload to the Davis weatherlink page (I currently have the basic membership (free) and poke around on it but I like the WU screen layout better than the boxes on the WL page.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
If you haven't bought the Datalogger yet you could buy the WiFi Logger from Scaled Instruments. It can send your data to multiple sites including Weather Link. com as well as at the same time to your computer and weather software package like the older WeatherLink software (old school looking), original Cumulus (pretty decent), WeatheDisplay (the desktop is hard to read), Weather Solution, Add-In Weather or even VWS (no support but works great and you can configure your own display).  Mine sends to WL.com, Weather Underground (ugh) and also (via a fixed IP in the WiFi Logger) to my desktop weather computer to VWS.

The reason I am suggesting using the Wifilogger is that it will send to WL.com and others whether the computer is on or off. Also its setup and learning curve is lower than other methods.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:05:19 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
If you haven't bought the Datalogger yet you could buy the WiFi Logger from Scaled Instruments. It can send your data to multiple sites including Weather Link. com as well as at the same time to your computer and weather software package like the older WeatherLink software (old school looking), original Cumulus (pretty decent), WeatheDisplay (the desktop is hard to read), Weather Solution, Add-In Weather or even VWS (no support but works great and you can configure your own display).  Mine sends to WL.com, Weather Underground (ugh) and also (via a fixed IP in the WiFi Logger) to my desktop weather computer to VWS.

The reason I am suggesting using the Wifilogger is that it will send to WL.com and others whether the computer is on or off. Also its setup and learning curve is lower than other methods.

I will check it out!!  I am still waiting for my tax refund before buying

Offline rhodesengr

Just installed a Vantage pro2 with the wifilogger2 card on the roof of my vacation condo in Mexico. It is working great. Uploading to Weather Underground, Weather Cloud and PWSweather. No subscription fees. Here is the wunderground link.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IVALLE160
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch

I am still waiting for my tax refund before buying
You very well may be waiting awhile. The IRS is backlogged like nobody's business. Eighty percent of contacts went unanswered last year..and I'm one of them. I still haven't even gotten last years refund and time to do it again. Whatta joke...

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos

You very well may be waiting awhile. The IRS is backlogged like nobody's business. Eighty percent of contacts went unanswered last year..and I'm one of them. I still haven't even gotten last years refund and time to do it again. Whatta joke...

I got my state refund right away, filed last week electronically

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
Just installed a Vantage pro2 with the wifilogger2 card on the roof of my vacation condo in Mexico. It is working great. Uploading to Weather Underground, Weather Cloud and PWSweather. No subscription fees. Here is the wunderground link.

That is really NICE, I have a flag pole like that in my front yard I would like to use but it is in full view of the street and don't think the unit would last long.

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos

I checked out your WU link, nice temps!  It got up to 28 here today

This is not my site but one that I monitor

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ma/norwood/42.19,-71.20

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch

I got my state refund right away, filed last week electronically
I got state fine last year as well, it's the feds that are jacked up. Shocking.  :roll:

BTW, congrats on the VP2. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I am going to be getting the Davis Pro2 and want to not only see the conditions on the console but also on my desktop, but also I want to be able to upload the conditions to Weather Underground.

I am wondering do I need to order the Davis 6100 weatherlink to do this or can I get my with the Pro2 6152 with the data logger, which would save me about $170?

Also if you don't have the weatherlink I am assuming you cannot upload to the Davis weatherlink page (I currently have the basic membership (free) and poke around on it but I like the WU screen layout better than the boxes on the WL page.

You should get WiFilogger2 or its cousin, Ethernet logger. I have both and they work great. You can upload to WU, WLL, CWOP and others. I had several problems with Davis’ USB logger. WiFilogger was developed by a Polish individual and his support is outstanding—see Wifilogger.net. All products mentioned are available from Scaled Instruments in Florida. Outside the US, such products are available from Pro Data Weather Systems in the UK.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:46:48 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
I have the WFL 2 and prototyped the Ethernet, both work smooth as silk.

The major difference is WFL has more in-built data export functions but both can supply devices running a choice of software.

Offline rhodesengr

That is really NICE, I have a flag pole like that in my front yard I would like to use but it is in full view of the street and don't think the unit would last long.

The pole was already there. You can't see it in the photo but that mast supports a lightning rod. So all I had to do was get up there and clamp the station to the pole. I did have to get different u-bolts. The supplied u-bolts will only fit around a pole less that 2 inches diameter, That pole is 2.4 inches. Davis doesn't supply larger u-bolts but I found ones that would work at Lowes.

Offline rhodesengr

I checked out your WU link, nice temps!  It got up to 28 here today

This is not my site but one that I monitor

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ma/norwood/42.19,-71.20

yeah the weather here has been rough :-P About 78F every day for a week with no clouds. The main reason I wanted a station here was for the wind. We surf here and the wind can be a big factor in making the ocean surface choppy.

Offline Iguanaman

I just noticed that you mentioned you have the basic subscription (free) and it should already allow the feed to go to the Weather Underground.  Mine does anyway.  I can see my station listed there.  Maybe I'm missing something.