Author Topic: My rookie mistake  (Read 409 times)

Offline WDoug

My rookie mistake
« on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »
I finally took the plunge and ordered the Ecowitt HP2553 along with the WH31B sensor.   Thank you Lucy, you're and angel!

Here's my big mistake.   I ordered the WH31 for the outdoor temp/humidity.   Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't register on the outdoor display.   Upon further reading, I should have ordered the WH32.   Was that my mistake?   If so, I want to order the WH32, but upon reading the specs,  it shows the low temperature range is only reads down to 14 ° F.   Is that correct?   Winter time temperatures get a lot colder than that.   My question is,  should I order the 32,  or is there another sensor that would be better?

2nd question...........  I also ordered the WH68 wind sensor.   When reading the assembly instructions,  it says that the solar panel should be facing north.    I thought a southern exposure in the USA would be better.   Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any feedback on those two sensors.
Doug

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HP2551C, HP3501C, WN1900C & FOSHKplugin
    • FOSHKplugin
Re: My rookie mistake
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »
Hi!

Only the WH32 is recognized as the outdoor sensor. So just order the WH32 and take the WH31 somewhere in the house.
The specs for WH31/WH32 are a bit strange, you're right. I've asked Lucy some time ago because I could not imagine this small temperature range for an outdoor-device.
Her answer was:
For the WH32 issue,  the WH32 sensor actually can measure from -40F - 140F(-40C ~60C) and display the data on our free WS View app or upload data to ecowitt.net (needs to work with the GW1000).
However the screen display of the sensor might not work below 14F(-10C).
Since you usually can't see the display anyway because the sensor is in a radiation shield, that doesn't matter.

Regarding the WH68 - I don't own this sensor. But according to the documentation the arrow has to point to north.
So the solar panel should be in the south in my understanding:
Now you will need to align the whole package in the proper direction by
rotating it on top of the mounting pipe as needed. Locate the arrow labeled
“NORTH” that you will find on top of the transparent cover on the sensor
package (Item 8 ). You must rotate the whole sensor package until this
arrow points due north. To achieve proper alignment, it is helpful to use a
compass (many cell phones have a compass application). Once rotated in the
correct orientation, lightly tighten the bolts a little more (use a wrench) to
prevent further rotation.

Regards, Oliver

Offline lgkahn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
the 31 works outside as well, i have one outside and 3 inside.. the kicker is that only one 32 can be on your system so be carefull not to order too many of those.. if you have the ecowitt variety not ambient.. amazon has a really good price on them at 12.99 for each wh31

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HP2551C, HP3501C, WN1900C & FOSHKplugin
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
Hi!

the kicker is that only one 32 can be on your system
You're right but that's not the point. Of course the WH31 will work outside.
But only the WH32 is recognised and output as the outdoor-sensor.

Oliver

Offline WDoug

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.   I've ordered the WH32.   Should arrive in a couple days.   So far, I'm really enjoying my station.  The only thing I'm having trouble with is getting the barometric pressure set.   Still have to do a bunch of studying on getting the setting right.   I guess that part of the fun.