Author Topic: Davis Airlink Professional Air Quality Sensor PM 1, 2.5 & 10  (Read 15236 times)

Offline Matt.j5b

• Ferny Grove Weather
Re: Davis Airlink Professional Air Quality Sensor PM 1, 2.5 & 10
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2020, 04:55:56 AM »
What about a cable like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GUMXQE/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_4SS1FbDW4S978

For a 40 ft run would voltage drop become a concern ?

I ended up using a USB extension cable similar to that one. It seems to work fine with the Airlink. I didn't check whether I get any voltage drop but I am using a 3 m extension lead which keeps the total USB cable length to not exceed the 5m limit in the USB2 official spec. My has AWG24 cable rather than thinner cables of some the USB cables on the market, so that probably helped with minimizing the voltage drop.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:58:22 AM by Matt.j5b »
Regards Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Cumulus MX

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2021, 11:38:22 PM »
I have a few test AirLinks (two indoors and one outdoors) since I work for AEM (now that Davis and Earth Networks are owned by AEM).

Here's my outdoor sensor:
https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/b8240747890046e7b4df5d65e371aa36/summary
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2021, 11:42:29 PM »
Do you guys recommend using the screen when installing outside?
Have you found any accuracy impact from the screen?

Moving my air link outside tomorrow now that I have power run to the location so trying to decide screen or no screen.

Thanks
  Frank

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2021, 12:25:12 AM »
I used the screen outside on my porch since a lot of rain blows up there, and I didn't want any issues. I haven't been able to tell if it impacts accuracy.
Nathan Parker

Offline oregonalex

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2022, 03:27:18 PM »
Does anyone know the update interval of the AirLink data in the Weatherlink.com bulletin (standalone AirLink)?

I have the Pro subscription and the 'Last updated' timestamp changes every minute, but it is hard to tell if the data values actually change that often. The historical records are stored in 15 min intervals.

Considering downgrading to a Basic subscription, but would like to know if the upload interval is the same.  There is a parameter in the description of the various subscription tiers called '3rd Party Intervals', which is 15 min and 5 min respectively for the Basic and Pro tiers.  I don't think it applies to the Weatherlink site though, only to uploads to 3rd party sites.

Also, does anyone know how much data can Airlink buffer if it loses WiFi connection?  I noticed it remembers data and sends it up once WiFi is restored.

Thanks!

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2022, 04:26:12 PM »
Does anyone know the update interval of the AirLink data in the Weatherlink.com bulletin (standalone AirLink)?

I have the Pro subscription and the 'Last updated' timestamp changes every minute, but it is hard to tell if the data values actually change that often. The historical records are stored in 15 min intervals.

Considering downgrading to a Basic subscription, but would like to know if the upload interval is the same.  There is a parameter in the description of the various subscription tiers called '3rd Party Intervals', which is 15 min and 5 min respectively for the Basic and Pro tiers.  I don't think it applies to the Weatherlink site though, only to uploads to 3rd party sites.

Also, does anyone know how much data can Airlink buffer if it loses WiFi connection?  I noticed it remembers data and sends it up once WiFi is restored.

Thanks!

Airlink updates at 1 minute intervals. I grab the data via Cumulus MX, and show the values on my website. They update every 1 minute regardless of a subscription, because the Airlink is a standalone device.

I use a Weatherlink Live, and I'm pretty sure data is sent every 1 minute even without a subscription. You'll only see updates at 15 minute intervals, though.

As for the buffer size - not sure. I was offline for around 3 to 4 hours when my fibre internet was installed, and it sent all of that missing data through to Weatherlink once I was back online.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »
Using Cumulus MX you might be able to get the data at 1 min intervals, but the WeatherLink app has handcuffed all three of my AirLinks to 15 min intervals since I don’t have Plus. Trying to see if I can get a free copy of Plus since I work for AEM, but if not, I may just spring for it myself since I need to try Mobilize.
Nathan Parker

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2022, 06:06:37 PM »
Using Cumulus MX you might be able to get the data at 1 min intervals, but the WeatherLink app has handcuffed all three of my AirLinks to 15 min intervals since I don’t have Plus. Trying to see if I can get a free copy of Plus since I work for AEM, but if not, I may just spring for it myself since I need to try Mobilize.

I'm pretty sure that Airlink data in the Weatherlink app updates every one minute, even without a pro subscription.. Perhaps you mean the archive interval?

http://your.airlink.internal.ip.address/v1/current_conditions

If you refresh the page after a minute or so, you'll see new values.

Offline oregonalex

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2022, 06:36:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Airlink data in the Weatherlink app updates every one minute, even without a pro subscription.. Perhaps you mean the archive interval?

http://your.airlink.internal.ip.address/v1/current_conditions

If you refresh the page after a minute or so, you'll see new values.

Yeah. There are four separate time intervals involved with AirLink and WeatherLink.com:

1. Interval at which AirLink sends data to Weatherlink.com servers.  This is 1 minute as stated in the specs and confirmed by experiments.

2. Interval at which the bulletin page on Weatherlink.com displays fresh data from Airlink.  According to @Mapantz 's post above, this also is 1 minute, regardless of the subscription tier.  This was my original question.

3. Historical data storage and charting interval. This is obviously 15 minutes regardless of tier.

4. Retransmit interval by weatherlink.com to 3rd party sites. This is tier dependent - 15 minutes for Basic, 5 minutes for Pro and up to 1 minute for higher tiers.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2022, 08:30:56 PM »
I just re-checked and it is archive rate. Seems you can bump it up with Pro, but otherwise it does send data to the dashboard every minute. Good to know!
Nathan Parker

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2022, 10:17:06 PM »
3. Historical data storage and charting interval. This is obviously 15 minutes regardless of tier.

I have Pro+ and can set AirLink archive rate to, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 60 min

Offline oregonalex

« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2022, 11:16:46 PM »

I have Pro+ and can set AirLink archive rate to, 1 min, 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 60 min

I stand corrected.  According to the WeatherLink app, I can bump it to 5min with Pro, but it requires Pro+ for 1min. 15min and longer for Basic.

Apparently, you have to use the App to change the archive interval, I have not found any setting for it on weatherlink.com.

Offline oregonalex

« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2022, 11:22:24 PM »
I have also found an answer to my question about the buffer size in the AirLink. Onboard data storage depends on the Archive interval:

1min - 21 hours
5 min - 84 hours
15 min - 100 hours
30 minute - 130 hours
60 minutes - 268 hours
120 minutes - WeatherLink crashes,  apparently an invalid archive interval option

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2022, 01:43:57 AM »
Apparently, you have to use the App to change the archive interval, I have not found any setting for it on weatherlink.com.

Weatherlink.com- under Device Settings for your Airlink is the Archive Rate.

Offline oregonalex

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2022, 03:38:38 AM »

Weatherlink.com- under Device Settings for your Airlink is the Archive Rate.

Ha! Found it! Not the easiest web site to navigate. Thanks!

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2022, 01:08:21 PM »
Yeah, WeatherLink.com is a little clunky to navigate. If anyone has any feedback on it, let me know, and I can pass it on to their teams. What they do with it we’ll see, but at least I can try!
Nathan Parker

Offline Bellmac

• N7DTY CWOP
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2023, 01:57:11 PM »
I've had an Airlink for about two years and up to about 3 months ago, it worked fine.  it is mounted outside, but sheltered from rain, etc.  About 3 months ago, it would occasionally stop reporting (I would receive a message from Davis that it had stopped).  If I did a reset, it would start working again.  At first this only happened about once a month, but about 2 weeks ago, it began to happen daily.  At first, I thought that possibly it was not receiving a good Wi-Fi signal, so I remounted it, but that did not help.  I also tried switching out the USB power supply, but that did not help.  When I checked my router, the unit was sometimes not shown as connected to the network and sometimes as connected even when no data was going to Davis.  Lately, it has started working again.

I contacted Davis support and got a generic "it has failed" messaged and to contact them about replacing the unit.

Now that this unit has been around for awhile, I am curious if anyone has had any issues.  I am also curious if anyone has disassembled the unit and if something like moisture intrusion could be an issue and if cleaning is feasible or helpful.

I went through the standard setup using DHCP on the network.  I can't recall if there is an option for a fixed IP address, which may or may not help.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2023, 02:19:17 PM »
I've had one since early Jan 2021 - no issues so far.
I have taken the case apart to get at the optional filter, but never looked at taking the sensor module apart, but I think there are teardowns of it "out there".
Mark

Offline Bellmac

• N7DTY CWOP
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick answer.  I have done searches looking for information on the innards of the device, but not much has popped up.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2023, 03:46:47 PM »
I’ve had three of them installed at my house for a couple of years now. So far, none of mine have failed. Occasionally the readings have been a little off if my Internet glitched (a simple reboot seems to correct the issue), and occasionally I’ve dusted off the sensor to ensure it’s working.
Nathan Parker

Offline Bellmac

• N7DTY CWOP
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2023, 04:41:45 PM »
My Internet connections are generally quite stable.  My Davis Vantage Pro 2 makes a hard-wired Ethernet connection to my LAN using a Davis WeatherLinkIP data logger configured with a fixed IP address.  Every so often (maybe once or twice a year), the data logger green LED stops blinking and goes solid, indicating data is not currently transmitting.  When that happens, I do a power reset and it starts working again.  Generally, no data are lost and it all gets reported to the NWS.  But that has no relationship to the Airlink, which makes its own direct Internet connection through my wireless network.

Does anyone know if you can use a fixed IP address with the Airlink?  Sometimes that provides a more stable connection that DHCP.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2023, 04:46:00 PM »
I did a DHCP reserve on my router (Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro) for all three AirLinks just to ensure it gets the same IP address each time. I haven’t looked to see if I can hard-code a static IP into the AirLinks themselves since DHCP reserve works really well on my UDM Pro.
Nathan Parker

Offline Bellmac

• N7DTY CWOP
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2023, 09:27:19 AM »
I did a DHCP reserve on my router (Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro) for all three AirLinks just to ensure it gets the same IP address each time. I haven’t looked to see if I can hard-code a static IP into the AirLinks themselves since DHCP reserve works really well on my UDM Pro.

I went ahead and reserved the IP address in my router for my Airlink.  It probably won't solve my problem, but it is probably a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:37:40 AM by Bellmac »

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2023, 10:44:38 AM »
I just run with reservations on nearly all my kit, including the AirLink.

For giggles here is a bit the AirLink health data from wl.com...
Uptime
427d 2h 19m 44s
Mark

Offline joder

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2023, 06:12:53 PM »

Now that this unit has been around for awhile, I am curious if anyone has had any issues.  I am also curious if anyone has disassembled the unit and if something like moisture intrusion could be an issue and if cleaning is feasible or helpful.

I've had issues with two units now in about 2 years.  Both times the blue light would stop coming on.  It won't connect to wifi, etc.  The fan of course still spins up.