Author Topic: GW1000 keeps losing WiFi  (Read 4417 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: GW1000 keeps losing WiFi
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
My 2.4 GHz is set to 20/40 MHz channel width. It always connects instantaneously.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
If I can get GW1000 to be stable on 20 for a couple days, I was going to try 20/40 next just to see what it does. I was still surprised to see it connect so quickly (after I changed to 20). Hopefully 40Mhz width was the culprit after all.

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
Quick update...so far so good. Still too early to really know, but still.

I am watching out for anything that appears different. As I mentioned before, GW1000 connected WAY faster than I had seen previously. Here is something else I'm noticing...in regards to the lease time, it's even shorter now. It's lucky if it gets to 2 hours in before the lease time resets. Don't know if this means a darn thing (good or bad), but just something that I noticed. Before it was always 2:40-2:50. Now it *might* get to 2:00.

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2020, 05:24:55 PM »
And down again. Been disconnected for over 1/2 hour. Guess I'll have to break out an old router and see if it just has issues with my current router.

Offline ramblinche81

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
My new GW1000 every so often (a couple/few times a day) loses connection to WiFi. When it occurs, GW1000 cannot be found by WS View (duh), and the red light on the device goes out (with an every-few-seconds quick blink). It does eventually reconnect to WiFi on its own, but it normally takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to do so.

When I first got it a few days ago, it did prompt me to upgrade firmware to 1.6.1, which I did.

Is this a common problem that other people have? Is this not normal and possibly indicating I have a faulty device that needs taken care of? Is it a known issue that is currently being addressed that will be taken care of with a new firmware update in the future?

Thank you!

For what it is worth, my gw1000 blinks off about 1 per 8- sec. I can't tell that it drops off network. My update is set for 8 seconds to custom server (dans android pwt). Not sure if coincidence or not.
July 2020
Ecowitt GW1000B gateway @ ecowitt.net
Ecowitt WN51 soil moisture x8 (potted plants and landscape beds)
Ecowitt WH57 lightning
Ecowitt WH31 temp x2
Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge
Ecowitt WS68 wind sun sensor
Dragon Touch tablet display with PWT app

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2020, 09:50:38 PM »
For what it is worth, my gw1000 blinks off about 1 per 8- sec. I can't tell that it drops off network. My update is set for 8 seconds to custom server (dans android pwt). Not sure if coincidence or not.

That's totally normal. When mine loses connection, it stays out, and about every 5 seconds it blinks red (pretty much the exact opposite of what we see when it's connecting properly). :)

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2020, 09:41:04 AM »
Interesting. I broke out the old AC68 router, and GW1000 has been connected for right at 12 hours with no interruptions. Zero. Nothing. Not even a blip in the router log. Granted, my AX88 had a period where it went 17 hours between disconnects (according to the logs), so I'm certainly going to leave it connected to the AC68 for a while.

If it really does solve the problem, first and foremost that tells me that the GW1000 is fine. Perhaps the chipset is outdated, but still functioning properly. When I first switched to AX, my wife's Gen1 Microsoft Surface (maybe gen2, can't remember) refused to connect to the AX router. Just nothing. I simply attributed it to outdated chipset. What is weird with this GW1000 problem is that it does connect most of the time, and will stay connected for some period of time. If it didn't connect at all, I would understand. But connecting periodically is strange. I do have some other theories about what may be causing this, though. Gonna do some other tests.

I do have some other testing ideas in my head, but if it stays connected to the AC68, then I'll be good to go. Not the best solution for me, but I can make it work. A "weird" setup is far better than keeping my InAcuRite garbage, which is NOT going to happen. That stupid Atlas is gonna end up in the desert....on a stand...with some hollow points popped through it. :)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
Well you could try your AX/WiFi6 with stock firmware instead of that that Merlin or Tomato or whatever other brain transplant you've done. Or just keep the 68U as secondary router behind your primary router. Different WiFi SSIDs and you should be good. It will be a bit of an inconvenience to do WiFi firmware updates...but it's doable. If you plan on getting data from the GW1000 via other software then you could run NoxPlayer on that system inside of that secondary subnet and then update firmware using NoxPlayer.

That stupid Atlas is gonna end up in the desert....on a stand...with some hollow points popped through it. :)

Nice! à la Office Space! Take pictures (or better yet video) and share.  =D> \:D/
Don't forget to add the Geto Boys - "Still" background score when you edit your video.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:04:48 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
Bart,

just give that a try:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042475/

Oliver

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2020, 10:17:22 AM »
@Olicat

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely be trying some of those out and see what happens. I definitely cannot turn off WiFi6 as I use it with our laptops. When we upgraded to WiFi6, we seriously needed more speed. We didn't upgrade just to have "latest and greatest" or anything like that. I was about 1 step away from hardwiring everything, but WiFi6 took care of what we needed.

@Galfert

Yep. Reverting back to stock firmware was going to be one of my tests. I have a lot of different ideas brewing to see if I can stay with only the AX88. As far as that particular test, I'm not holding out hope since my AC68 is on Merlin and it's doing OK...so far.

Aaaaaaand...LMAO@video! Oh HELL yeah! And played back in slo-mo. And definitely Geto Boys - "Still" in the background. You really got me thinking about that. Maybe (just for good fun) instead of my pistol, I'll stomp on it and beat it with a ball bat!

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
I got up to 15 hours with zero issues, so that's good. I am still currently continuing some other testing. Now, this next test I'm a bit hazy on how it may work, so please chime in if there is a flaw in this.

Since GW1000 did connect to my AX router, I was thinking that perhaps something on the same SSID was causing an issue (instead of the router itself), which caused the GW1000 to drop its connection. So, I simply created a guest network and only have GW1000 connected to this unique SSID.

I know there's a lot of "if's" in this but, IF there is simply a device connected on the same SSID as GW1000 that was interfering with the connection somehow, would doing it this way (unique SSID for GW1000) potentially solve the problem? Here's is where I mean I'm a little hazy on how this works. Doing it this way would still put the "offending device" on the same network as GW1000, but on a different SSID. Or is this a case of "Nope. IF there is another device causing the disconnect issue, being on a different SSID is irrelevant since it's the same network".

Currently, GW1000 is up and connected on this unique SSID, so I do get to test it at least. My gut tells me that this won't fix it, but it's worth a shot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:02:08 PM by Bart »

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2020, 03:01:40 PM »
HA! Just answered my own question. It's already down. Back to the rt68 for more testing!!

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
Winner winner, ch-ch-chicken dinner! And the prize goes to Olicat!

Thank you for posting that link. I initially ruled it out because it mentioned disabling AX, which having AX was the main reason I updated my router/laptops in the first place.

I focused on just getting GW1000 to connect to "something", just to make sure the device wasn't faulty. So I got back out my old AC68 and it was connecting just fine.

I was poking around inside the AX router and came across the settings for turning off AX (and the other settings mentioned it that article)...but I also realized that I was looking at settings for the 2.4 band. AX...2.4...AX...2.4...HUH?! Wait a minute!! I need AX on the 5 band, so what do I care what settings are for AX on the 2.4 band?! I changed the settings per the article, and GW1000 has been connected solidly for over 10 hours now on my AX88u router!

I have had this happen before prior to making these changes, staying connected for a while and all. But this time I feel extra-confident. Why? Because even my wife's old gen 1 Microsoft Surface is now connecting, too! It outright refused to connect to a network before. Now it connected right up!

So, thanks again everybody for all your help and suggestions!!! I am one happy guy right now!!!

Now...where's my camera so I can make my "Office Space" video with my InAcuRite Asslas....errr, Atlas.

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »
Hi Bart,

Thank you for posting that link.
I'm glad that I could help.
And also for others who may have WIFI problems with the GW1000: The heart of the GW1000 is an ESP8266 - a very, very frequently used chip; especially in the IOT world and makers scene.
Thus, all problem solutions regarding WIFI for the ESP8266 could also apply to the GW1000.

Regards, Oliver

Offline ramblinche81

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2020, 09:36:35 AM »
Hi Bart,

Thank you for posting that link.
I'm glad that I could help.
And also for others who may have WIFI problems with the GW1000: The heart of the GW1000 is an ESP8266 - a very, very frequently used chip; especially in the IOT world and makers scene.
Thus, all problem solutions regarding WIFI for the ESP8266 could also apply to the GW1000.

Regards, Oliver
The Asus ax article was really helpful. I made a conscious decision to leave my iot stuff on a separate wireless hardware system. One legacy router is behind my provider access point firewall so I feel good enough about security and firewall issues. You guys who deal with systems issues closely are likely a little more cautious.
July 2020
Ecowitt GW1000B gateway @ ecowitt.net
Ecowitt WN51 soil moisture x8 (potted plants and landscape beds)
Ecowitt WH57 lightning
Ecowitt WH31 temp x2
Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge
Ecowitt WS68 wind sun sensor
Dragon Touch tablet display with PWT app

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
Unfortunately, the disconnect issue has resurfaced. What is strange is that it really did seem to be working fine. Then, I started seeing disconnects in the server logs (I never saw it by virtue of the LED on Gw1000 itself). By looking at the logs, it was just a simple disconnect and reconnect right away, and all was well. Just overnight today, there were a couple disconnects, but it apparently took 1/2 hour - 1 hour to finally get connected again. So, it's back to the old AC68 for GW1000.

As long as it works OK using the AC68 (which it seemed to before), I'm OK with that. I was just trying to minimize the number of devices in my network.

Offline distortionist

• Livingstone Cove Weather Station
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2020, 05:54:30 AM »
Ever figure this out? I have a GW1000 and a TP-Link router that keeps randomly dropping connection. It seems to still be talking to ecowitt.net but I can't even ping it. I don't get it. Ecowitt.net never missed a beat but weewx loses communication, and I cannot even ping its address, I have to unplug it and plug it back in.

How odd.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2020, 07:34:23 AM »
Good morning. Sure did. It was my router. Not that anything is "wrong" with my router, but that's what it turned out to be. My router is an Asus RT-AX88, so it's a newer WiFi 6 router. I had my old RT-AC68 here, so I set that up as an access point, and the GW-1000 stayed connected to it without a problem. I also have an older Netgear router here that I got when we first got fiber internet installed that was given to us by our ISP, so I set that up as an access point, and the GW-1000 also stayed connected to it without a single problem. So, I just keep the Netgear set up as an access point and the GW-1000 stays connected to it.

I also have a Gen 1 Microsoft Surface and a 10 year old laser printer that didn't play well with my RT-AX88, so those are also connected to the Netgear access point.

So, that was my issue and solution. I can only assume that the older technology of the client devices had a problem with the newer technology of the router. Bringing in an older router/access point took care of it.

Hope this helps ya!

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
Just to contribute my acual observation:
I placed my GW1000 (which in fact is a Froggit SP1500) in the living room because of inside temperature, plugged in an up to then unused USB power adapter. After some hours I recognised a quietly but audible coil whine. At the same time, I observed loss of wifi connection. After replacing the power adapter the coil whine was gone. The old power adapter provided 700 mA, the new one 1.1 A. Since then, no wifi loss occurred. Although GW1000 should work with USB 2.0, which should provide 100 mA at low power mode without data connection, or 500 mA high power mode with data connection, I do not believe, that any connection less than USB 3 (0.9 A) will give a stable wifi connection for GW1000.

At that, I would avoid any GW1000 connection to a simple PC Type A USB plug, whatever it is. Better use a power adapter with at least 1.1 A output.

Offline distortionist

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »
I did move it trying to isolate the issue. I had it plugged into a little USB adapter with 2 outlets, one outlet is capable of much more amps than the other. They both should provide enough power i would think but I will try to switch it to the higher powered port. For now I moved its location, I have a wifi repeater and the GW 1000 was sitting 1/2 way between. It was weird because it did not stop the GW1000 reporting to ecowitt.net but it certainly did stop it talking to my raspberry pi, and i could not ping its address from my desktop. I have no idea how it was talking to ecowitt.net but it did not miss a beat there.

So far I have had no issues in it's new location closer to the main router, away from the repeater.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline Vetti52

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
Although Fine Offset determines USB 2.0 as mandatory for GW1000, which should provide 500 mA, I doubt, that this works stable, when the wifi connection is not optimal and therefore needs more power to establish the connection. As 1.1A plug adaptors are very common, I would not risk wifi loss because of low power.

At some point I agree with an observation, that data were continuously sent to ecowitt.net, although the device was no longer detectable (no ping) in my home net. May be, this is related to the type of connection, which should rely on TCP, but is established via UDP. Maybe @Olicat could enlight the mechanisms of these two types of data transmissions. But to me, it looks scaring. And I can confirm, that data transfer may still proceed, although the connection seems to be dropped.

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »
The power output of the WiFi radio is set in firmware based upon the voltage/current that the circuit is designed for. Higher voltage/current referenced to the circuit designed voltage/current will not increase the power output of the WiFi radio as set in the firmware. Ecowitt could definitely increase the power output with a simple firmware upgrade though.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline distortionist

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
Ok I just moved my GW1000 closer to my main router, it is a newer tp-link router. I think it is wifi 5 but I am not sure. It is a TP-Link AC2600 and the repeater is a TP-Link AC2600 Range Extender. I think when I am in the middle some devices get confused. So I moved it closer to the main router and so far it has not dropped but it doesn't mean its fixed. It went for a long time before it did it the first time, and then after a day or so did it again.

I don't think it is my power but I am not sure, I have better than normal ones I think for wireless fast charging at 15w. The ports should be able to deliver the power needed no? I have it plugged into Output 2 to keep the high power QC 3.0 one free, should I switch?

Charger:

Max. Power: 30W
QC 3.0 Port Output: 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A
Output2: 5V 2.4A
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
Ok I just moved my GW1000 closer to my main router, it is a newer tp-link router. I think it is wifi 5 but I am not sure. It is a TP-Link AC2600 and the repeater is a TP-Link AC2600 Range Extender. I think when I am in the middle some devices get confused. So I moved it closer to the main router and so far it has not dropped but it doesn't mean its fixed. It went for a long time before it did it the first time, and then after a day or so did it again.

I don't think it is my power but I am not sure, I have better than normal ones I think for wireless fast charging at 15w. The ports should be able to deliver the power needed no? I have it plugged into Output 2 to keep the high power QC 3.0 one free, should I switch?

Charger:

Max. Power: 30W
QC 3.0 Port Output: 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A
Output2: 5V 2.4A

Electrical circuits DRAW power they are not FED power. The GW1000 is designed for USB 2, meaning it DRAWS a MAXIMUM of 500mA. It doesn't matter if you connect it to a 5V DC source that can PROVIDE 1000 amps, it will only DRAW a maximum of 500mA.

The power output of the WiFi radio is set in firmware based upon the voltage/current that the circuit is designed for. Higher voltage/current referenced to the circuit designed voltage/current will not increase the power output of the WiFi radio as set in the firmware. Ecowitt could definitely increase the power output of the WiFI radio with a simple firmware upgrade though.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2020, 05:42:34 PM »
I know this has gone on a while, but routers/hot spots do make a difference

I have a singular router , an ASUS RT-87, then I have 2 hardwired Asus RT-ACRH13 units as hot spots.

The gw1000 prefers my main router, and will do the drop outs on the hot spots (DHCP handled by main router). All units have different SSIDs , and the hotspot I was using for the GW1000 I had shut down the 5 GHz radio, but even with that, the GW1000 still preferred my main router.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the issue as they worked on the main without problem.

I don't think you have a power issue.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:47:18 PM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)