Author Topic: Meteobridge upload to WL Cloud Problem **solved**  (Read 3890 times)

Offline MikeCupo

Meteobridge upload to WL Cloud Problem **solved**
« on: May 01, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
I'm Using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless with Meteobridge D-Link 505 through USB Datalogger.  When I use Meteobridge to upload to Weatherlink, the rainfall data is consistently lower than actual readings....if I turn off upload from Meteobridge and upload from PC Weatherlink SW(getting data from Meteobridge through TCP/IP), it posts correctly....all other uploads from Meteobridge post correctly (WU, PWS, CWOPS, AWEKAS, and WeatherCloud)....Any insight?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 11:22:40 PM by docbee »

Offline WI1SKY

Re: Meteobridge upload to WL Cloud Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »
I think you will find, if you do the math, it is uploading as .2mm.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to fix mine either.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
Isn't that something that can be defined on the Weatherlink account in the settings area? At least this is what I would expect.

If not then this information is somewhere hidden in the uploaded data stream. Problem is, that the upload protocol is not documented and it would need some inspection of the upload data to find out how to report the rain bucket size. 
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 05:29:43 PM »
Check the WeatherLink.com -> Unit Measurements. With the station selected, click the Icon to the left of the station Icon and check/select the Rain&ET units

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »
While that does make the units mm, that value is still technically wrong since the spoon is .01in and the value is the number of tips (at least in my case). For example.   My current storm total is 4.35 inches in the VP2 console  but Weatherlink is reporting it as 3.43 inches.   This of course is exactly what it would be for 435 tips *.2mm = 87mm = 3.43 in.   I am guessing that is Mikes issue as well.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 01:21:28 PM »
You need to configure the bucket size on weather link. You will find it under Advanced Settings for your ISS, either on the website or the app.

If you do not set that, it infers the bucket size from the units you select
Mark

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »
I wish that was the problem.  Unless there is somewhere else that the bucket size can go.. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
It's that weatherlink terminology issue again. I've not been following the thread in detail but I suspect Mark means on weatherlink.com, ie:

Which should IIRC reflect back to the local WLL unit given a little time. Alternatively connect to the WLL direct via the Bluetooth app and correct the setting there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:13:22 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
Ok, I know where the breakdown is.  I (and presumably Mike) are using Meteobridge and the USB logger, not WLL.  I suspect that WLL would solve my issue.
Oddly, the data is correct if it is sent from the Weatherlink App and it is correct everywhere the MeteoBridge sends it, except for Weatherlink.com.  :-k

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
Ah, apologies - think in my haste I was confusing this with another post elsewhere and I hadn't spotted that you weren't using WLL - something made me think you were! But if you've managed to identify where the potential issue is then hopefully that's some progress.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:12:36 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 05:01:11 PM »
If I could just find someone else that is successfully using Meteobridge with Weatherlink and using I-P units at least I would know that it should work.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
While that does make the units mm, that value is still technically wrong since the spoon is .01in and the value is the number of tips (at least in my case). For example.   My current storm total is 4.35 inches in the VP2 console  but Weatherlink is reporting it as 3.43 inches.   This of course is exactly what it would be for 435 tips *.2mm = 87mm = 3.43 in.   I am guessing that is Mikes issue as well.

On the opposite side of this 343 tips * 0.254 is also 87mm, so yes missing something in all of this?

Has the rain cal number been set for a 0.01" collector? Setup>Set Rain Calibration
Are the Rain & ET values set to in"? Setup>Select units
Are the Unit Measurements for Rain & ET set correctly in Weatherlink.com? >Unit Measurements 

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 06:23:02 PM »
On the opposite side of this 343 tips * 0.254 is also 87mm, so yes missing something in all of this?

Has the rain cal number been set for a 0.01" collector? Setup>Set Rain Calibration
Are the Unit Measurements for Rain & ET set correctly in Weatherlink.com? >Unit Measurements 

All of the above are true.  The head scratcher remains that if the Weatherlink app does the upload everything is correct.  It definitely appears to be in Meteobridge. Unfortunately, Boris has said that he doesn't why either. 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »

All of the above are true.  The head scratcher remains that if the Weatherlink app does the upload everything is correct.  It definitely appears to be in Meteobridge. Unfortunately, Boris has said that he doesn't why either.

I don't know either but what I do know is, I have not seen this issue and I have been running MR3020's in conjunction with WLIP and WeatherLink.com for quite some years as well as MB-Pro's with WLIP and for the past few years NanoSD's. Admittedly I run metric (0.2mm) rain gauges but can effectively do the reverse between metric and imperial. So I still believe this is all to do with configurations and settings?

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 07:08:14 PM »
I don't know either but what I do know is, I have not seen this issue and I have been running MR3020's in conjunction with WLIP and WeatherLink.com for quite some years as well as MB-Pro's with WLIP and for the past few years NanoSD's. Admittedly I run metric (0.2mm) rain gauges but can effectively do the reverse between metric and imperial. So I still believe this is all to do with configurations and settings?

I can't think of any settings in the MR3020 (I am running the same) that would impact things other than the one rain cup setting.  What I did try was setting everything up as though it was .2mm, created an artificial rain event and when I did that the console and weatherlink.com via MeteoBridge matched.  Does that give you any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:10:10 PM by WI1SKY »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »
No. not really but I can see why an imperial gauge/system totally configured as metric would/should give the same results, even though the artificial rain event total (as such) is just that artificial and essentially only relative.

I don't have any MR3020's running any more to test anything as I now separate the WLIP and MPPro as essentially independent systems (running from the same ISS) in order to have full control of the WLIP as opposed to the MR3020 or MBpro dictating what the WLIP does. However this shouldn't change the output/uploads.       

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 07:13:36 PM »
A couple of additional thoughts?

I run all metric but in the System>Administration>Localization box, would you require the "Use imperial units" box checked?

Also saw a similar occurrence with a NanoSD uploading to WL Cloud and everything configured as metric (mm) but the rainfall was an imperial value, higher by the typical metric/imperial conversion, that was strange. Being a new setup rain0total had not been added in the Weather Station>Primary Station>Calibration. Once the Sensor (rain0total) was added WL Cloud rainfall for Month and Year dropped to correct values. No changes were made to Calibration values, simply added the sensor to the list.     

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 05:03:55 PM »
A couple of additional thoughts?

I run all metric but in the System>Administration>Localization box, would you require the "Use imperial units" box checked?

Also saw a similar occurrence with a NanoSD uploading to WL Cloud and everything configured as metric (mm) but the rainfall was an imperial value, higher by the typical metric/imperial conversion, that was strange. Being a new setup rain0total had not been added in the Weather Station>Primary Station>Calibration. Once the Sensor (rain0total) was added WL Cloud rainfall for Month and Year dropped to correct values. No changes were made to Calibration values, simply added the sensor to the list.   

I was terribly excited to try this but unfortunately, nothing changed.  I am still in search of someone that is reporting IP data to Weatherlink Cloud via Meteobridge but the solution might be to just send the data to a SQL instance and give up on Weatherlink unless a WLL shows up on the used market.

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »
Ok, I know where the breakdown is.  I (and presumably Mike) are using Meteobridge and the USB logger, not WLL.  I suspect that WLL would solve my issue.
Oddly, the data is correct if it is sent from the Weatherlink App and it is correct everywhere the MeteoBridge sends it, except for Weatherlink.com.  :-k

That won't work. I'm using the Meteobridge with WLL. When I check WU it shows 1.49, the same on AWEKAS but the WLL app on my phone shows 1.56 which is what my CoCoRahs rain gauge shows. My ambient weather station which sends directly to WU shows what's on my console which 1.59. So there's something going on with  Meteobridge.

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »
So there's something going on with  Meteobridge.

So it seems. I wonder why the issue is only when sending to Weatherlink.  The rain totals that go to CWOP, WU, WINDY and Weather34 from Meteobridge are all exactly what the console shows.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
I still see a rounding issue which equates to the difference between using a factor of 0.25 instead of 0.254 but this is more visible in the yearly total. What I have also been observing is Nano archive uploads to WL Cloud are incomplete on a random basis which is evident when WeatherLink.com data is downloaded back to WeatherLinkPC, any archive records that would have had rainfall values are subsequently lost.

WeatherLink.com bulletin pages have valid totals but this is based on a different data set to the archive records. The archive records are complete and correct on the logger. 

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »
So there's something going on with  Meteobridge.

So it seems. I wonder why the issue is only when sending to Weatherlink.  The rain totals that go to CWOP, WU, WINDY and Weather34 from Meteobridge are all exactly what the console shows.
After your comment I did check CWOP and it also showed 1.49" versus the 1.56 WLL shows in the app on my iPhone. So Meteobridge pushes to CWOP too. I just checked the WLL on my Edge browser and it shows 1.56" versus the the 1.49 on WU, CWOP & AWEKAS. Think I'll setup WLL to report to CWOP and watch what happens.

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 07:30:15 PM »
So I went into the WLL set it to upload to CWOP and by golly it showed exactly what the WLL app shows. So it's looking like it's a problem with Meteobridge.

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
So I went into the WLL set it to upload to CWOP and by golly it showed exactly what the WLL app shows. So it's looking like it's a problem with Meteobridge.

I'm not sure that I am following that (but it has been a long day).   My uploads to CWOP are also correct from Meteobridge. I can't imagine why they would be different going to Weatherlink.com.  I will check with Boris to see if they are handled differently.

Offline staze

• Everybody Staze...
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2022, 03:48:26 PM »
Sorry for the necro thread, but chasing this with my NanoSD. Everything but WLL seems to be getting proper 0.01" rain tip amounts, but WLL seems to be getting metric (so WLL is low on all the readings). Doing conversion shows this is the case. =/

Everything looks right in Meteobridge. I cannot for the life of me see where you set the station units... I see "Unit Measurements" under my account on Weatherlink.com, but the station itself just shows model, which I have picked as "Vantage Vue, Wireless" rather than "Vantage Vue, Wireless, Metric" or "Vantage Vue, Wireless, OV" (whatever that is).

I've got an email into Davis, but haven't heard back yet. Not likely they're going to be able to help much. =/
Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD

anything