Author Topic: Accuracy of WH32 Versus sensor housed in all-in-one-unit?  (Read 504 times)

Offline portolan

Accuracy of WH32 Versus sensor housed in all-in-one-unit?
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:31:22 PM »
My question is this - Which would provide the greatest accuracy, the temperature and humidity sensor housed in a Ecowitt or Ambient Weather all in one (5 or 7 in one) unit or an Ecowitt  WH32 sensor housed under something where it is protected from rain? If I buy a Ecowitt anemometer, separate rain gauge, and a WH32 outdoor sensor am I losing some readings from a 7 in one unit? Is the technology different between the two sensors that would make one more accurate than the other? It appears it is better to place the anemometer and rain gauge in different locations, but that means using the WH32 for temperature and humidity, doesn't it? There are no other options beside the little white hanging device, is there? I am just wondering about its accuracy? Thanks so much for all of your terrific help and advice. Best, Phil

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Accuracy of WH32 Versus sensor housed in all-in-one-unit?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 10:20:22 PM »
My question is this - Which would provide the greatest accuracy, the temperature and humidity sensor housed in a Ecowitt or Ambient Weather all in one (5 or 7 in one) unit or an Ecowitt  WH32 sensor housed under something where it is protected from rain?
The separate components would all provide better data. Starting with the temperature when well protected by a good radiation shield would do much better. The fact that you would be able to properly site each component at the proper height helps too. The all-in-one is always a compromise.

If I buy a Ecowitt anemometer, separate rain gauge, and a WH32 outdoor sensor am I losing some readings from a 7 in one unit?
No, all the sensors are available if you go with separate sensors.

Is the technology different between the two sensors that would make one more accurate than the other? It appears it is better to place the anemometer and rain gauge in different locations, but that means using the WH32 for temperature and humidity, doesn't it?
Yes, if you go with separates then you need the WH32. The technology is technically the same...meaning the actual sensors are the very same part, they are just either separate or inside of the all-in-one. The siting of the separates is what makes the difference. Also the separate rain gauge is also touted as more accurate and it has a larger funnel size.

There are no other options beside the little white hanging device, is there? I am just wondering about its accuracy? Thanks so much for all of your terrific help and advice. Best, Phil
The "little white hanging" device? You mean the RS-00001 radiation shield? Yeah that works but it isn't great. If you want a better radiation shield then put the WH32 inside of the Davis 7714. But if you want the best then get the Barani Meteoshield Pro, but warning...don't get sticker shocked. See this thread for more details:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38255.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:24:01 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole