Author Topic: Is there a 'generic' WeeWx interface for serial data from a mythical station?  (Read 369 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Looking over the various drivers that have been written and available to have WeeWx get data, it appears that there are very station specific drivers (which is sort of to be expected) to look at the data streams from each station.

I have an RM Young 26800 which has been feeding a Windows version of Weather Display, and the driver there has a comma delimited stream with very specific slots for the data to go into.

I'm wondering if there is a driver for WeeWx which essentially will do the same thing, that is, tell me the values (metric or US, how many digits, how many decimal points) and the order the driver wants to see them, and let me create a serial string and furnish it either upon demand from the driver, or just send it out to the interface every second or 10 seconds.

This would seem to be a flexible solution to setting this up.  Sure, if you have a Davis Vantage, or a Peet Brothers or whatever, those sequences are under the control of the manufacurer's design and once the interface is working, all is well.  As far as I can find there isn't one (and likely will never be) a specific driver for the RM Young.  Right now, my data stream is set up to match what Brian wants for Weather Display.  I can use the serial output command for the Young to send anything required, so it is quite flexible, actually.

Another instance that would be helpful is to have this available for the Campbell Scientific dataloggers to send info to the interface in some general order, but again I'd need to have the expected stream structure to make it work.

Just looking for guidance.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything