Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro2 - Cape Town, South Africa  (Read 1705 times)

Offline flydk

Davis Vantage Pro2 - Cape Town, South Africa
« on: March 11, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
Hey all,

Recently got my Davis Vantage Pro2 6162EU + Solar/UV

Based in Cape Town, South Africa -- (any other locals here? :) )

Got my station mounted... pics below.

Question: without needing to calibrate, I pointed both the anemometer and ISS true north. Is there any disadvantage having the anemometer directly above the ISS? There is more than 0.3m distance between the two (as recommended in their documentation). Just seems odd as I've never seen any pics online of it like this.. lol.

Also showing are my ADS-B and AIS antennas :)

..awaiting my MeteoBridge Pro to start feeding :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:29:29 PM by flydk »
Live Feed: blouberg.co.za

Offline flydk

Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 - Cape Town, South Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »
Howdy, nice looking house.

Uh, how often do you use the fireplace? Does it interfere with your weather readings when being used?

Thank you :)

..quite often... but I would not know just yet. I only installed it today, so I'd have to monitor as time goes on if it has any affect...

Even when being used, the temperature on the outside/behind the actual fireplace is not really noticeable to the touch.. so I really doubt it will reach the top and then still 1m outwards to the sensor...

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
GREAT SETUP  [tup]; i have almost the same setup, but i dont pointed the ISS to north, mine is pointed to west trying to improve sunlight taking.
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline flydk

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
GREAT SETUP  [tup]; i have almost the same setup, but i dont pointed the ISS to north, mine is pointed to west trying to improve sunlight taking.

Thank you :)

I have the ISS pointed North as I'm in the Southern hemisphere.

My only question to anybody reading this would be if having the anemometer above the rain gauge (as per the pics) would have any affect on accurate readings?

(PS. your signature links don't work, they 404.)

Offline athansor

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »
Bit of a hijack on an old thread... @flydk, who did you purchase your VP2 through. local supplier or self-import?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
There must be at least some effect from the Anny above. Hard to predict how much depending on direction of any wind.

If there were any direction Easterly or Westerly that you get a bit of time when light is obstructed during the day, I would bias the ISS the other way. Make back a wee bit of sun time and clear the Anny a bit.

I might do it anyway if you have an unobstructed sky all day. I have a VP 2 with fan and batteries. The whole thing runs on and on all winter with my roof line obstructing about 40 % of direct light time. ( I don’t upload this one, not really accurate, just for fun).

I don’t think you really need to worry about fully optimizing sun time unless your gear was getting old and bad at holding a charge.

And can’t you swing that Anny and apply correction to wind direction?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 05:35:35 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline flydk

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 02:11:18 AM »
Bit of a hijack on an old thread... @flydk, who did you purchase your VP2 through. local supplier or self-import?

howdy.

I bought from a local supplier, http://cwprice.co.za/  (I believe they may be the importers)

I'd also recommend https://meacon.co.za

As for the MeteoBridge Pro, that I had to bring in and bought from https://www.weerstationkopen.nl/

Offline flydk

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 02:14:14 AM »
And can’t you swing that Anny and apply correction to wind direction?

Thank you for your response.

I certainly can do this... and actually haven't bothered since I posted the question :D

It's not the easiest to get to, but I do need to give it a good clean... so it's on the cards and will swing it.