Author Topic: PM2.5 Mounting  (Read 1065 times)

Offline ALEEF02

• Hi! Check out my weather site!
    • LF Weather
PM2.5 Mounting
« on: August 24, 2019, 09:38:06 PM »
I just purchased myself one of the pm2.5 monitors, since they just came back in stock. I want to monitor the outdoor air quality, but I have read that high humidities can severely affect the readings. I was most likely going to mount it under my overhang to prevent it from getting wet, but consequently that will also cause the solar panel to get little to no sunlight. Is there a better way to mount it so that I can get the most accurate readings? Thanks!

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Re: PM2.5 Mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 10:21:54 PM »
I am given to understand it is not necessarily the sensor gets wet is the issue, high humidity is the issue. Micro water drops form and the unit counts them as particulates. Mine is mounted on the top of a 4x4 in direct sun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:24:08 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »
Yes, it's designed to survive rain. But don't expect accurate reading on a foggy day.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
Yep just don't expect wonders with this sensor. Truly great PM2.5 sensors will first heat up the air to get rid of moisture and not count them as particles.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ALEEF02

• LF Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 12:27:12 AM »
I am given to understand it is not necessarily the sensor gets wet is the issue, high humidity is the issue. Micro water drops form and the unit counts them as particulates. Mine is mounted on the top of a 4x4 in direct sun.

Can I see a picture of your set up?

Offline ALEEF02

• LF Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 01:19:37 AM »

Also, I just looked at your ambient weather dashboard. How did you get that sun and moon tile?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 10:42:30 AM »

Also, I just looked at your ambient weather dashboard. How did you get that sun and moon tile?

Edit your device in Ambientweather.net and add your location. Then sun/moon tile will show up automatically. This is a new feature.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »

Can I see a picture of your set up?
The sensor is mounted to the top of a 4x4 fence post in direct sunlight.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:01:40 AM by Weatheroger »

anything