Author Topic: New User Replacing Data Logger IP with WiFiLogger  (Read 3853 times)

Offline WestTx

New User Replacing Data Logger IP with WiFiLogger
« on: August 06, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
I will be replacing my Davis WeatherlinkIP with WFL within the next couple of days and while I wait for the postman I have a few basic questions...
(I have read the WFL usermanual and quickstart documentation but they didn't provide answers.)

I have been using the Weatherlink PC software for a couple of years and use it daily to download data from weatherlink.com.  When I install WFL will it continue to send data to my same weatherlink.com account?  I plan to continue to use Weatherlink PC for archiving, etc.

Since my weatherlink.com account is set up to send data to WU and CWOP, will it continue to do so with no other setup/editing?  I have the option of continuing the feed WU/CWOP with weatherlink or I can replace that feed using the WFL (in the Export page)?

In the Weatherlink PC software, the Communications Port shows the WeatherlinkIP DID (device ID).  Is that just the MAC address which will be replaced by the WFL MAC address?  If I sell or give my WeatherlinkIP to someone will there be any conflicts if they use it with their own weatherlink.com account?  It appears to me that the weatherlink.com account is interested only in the console ID so that won't change.

I'm looking forward to the upgrade and appreciate the information and help.  Thanks

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline BigAlT

Re: New User Replacing Data Logger IP with WiFiLogger
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
The DID and key used by WFL are generated by the weatherlink website when you register for an account. They are not related to the MAC address of the WFL. The DID from your WeatherLinkIP is actually affixed to the device itself so will be different from the one that is created when you create a basic ( free ) account at weatherlink.com . If you haven’t created an account on weatherlink.com do so and you’ll get your DID and key which are entered into your WFL in the Weather Export Setup Tab. Then enter those values into your WeatherLink software and you should be good to go. I don’t know if you need to enter the key into your weatherlink software as this is probably only needed to upload data to their servers and probably isn’t needed to download data into the software.
 Since the DID and key generated by weatherlink.com are different than the DID attached to your weatherlinkIP there will be no conflicts if someone else uses it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:56:41 AM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline WestTx

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
Since I already have a basic weatherlink.com account (the one I use with the WeatherLinkIP) can I add WFL to the same account?  Then delete the WeatherLinkIP device on that account?  Is the WFL added as a Data Logger rather than a WeatherLinkIP since those seem to be the only applicable devices indicated by the Add Device option at weatherlink.com?

Thanks
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »
Here’s a previous question and answer by Wi Fi Logger regarding your question
“ « Reply #631 on: November 19, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Quote from: Herbaldew on November 19, 2018, 01:21:04 PM
Can I use my current Device ID and key for WeatherLink or do I need to register again with the WFL?
The current ID/key was obtained with the WeatherLink program and Davis USB data logger.  It will not go online again after the mailman shows up this afternoon with my WFL.
Thanks

Hi,

In WFL please use WL PC mode.
You can use your DID. You can also use DID from damaged WL IP. Only little problem is with new DID. You have to click on "Activation" text in WFL. It has to be done to unlock new DID. Your did is already used, so all you need is to place ID and PASS in WFL.

Please note that WL PC and WL IP are making uploads every 1 min. That is by default. In WFL you can choose from minimum 1 min. I am using 3 min. interval. For proper working of WL.COM 2.0 you should set interval 1,2 or 3 min. There is a problem with barometer. WL.COM 2.0 is making chart with barometer. Sometimes it's showing current value instead of chart. Then click on "Activation" text in WFL. This will clear current data in WL.COM 2.0 and it should  helps with barometer. “

I’m using WL IP mode in my WFL since I set it up before Wi Fi Logger posted his reply to the above question and it works fine so I don’t know what the difference is. I added mine on Weatherlink.com as a Weatherlink IP since it matched the WL IP mode in my WFL setup

Offline WestTx

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 10:12:51 PM »
Thanks for pointing out those posts... I'd read that but it's been awhile so I guess I forgot.

So apparently I can continue to use the IP DID already in use or I have the option to use a new WFL DID but I'm not sure how seamless a new DID might be in regards to archived data.  I think I'll continue to use the IP DID and may try to change it later on if I get rid of the WeatherloggerIP so there won't be a conflict with the new user.

It also appears some of this might be cleared up once I see the options available in the WFL - they're apparently not all documented in the user manual.

Thanks again for your help... I appreciate it.

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
The only options for uploading to weatherlink under the Data Export Tab are:
Mode: Either WL IP or WL PC

Device ID:

KEY:

Interval: number of minutes between uploads

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »
And while not a question by the OP, WiFiLogger, through a weatherlink.com GLOBE account setup, can update to GLOBE!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WestTx

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 11:07:13 PM »
The only options for uploading to weatherlink under the Data Export Tab are:
Mode: Either WL IP or WL PC

Device ID:

KEY:

Interval: number of minutes between uploads

I don't plan to use the Data Export function of weatherlink.com.  I discontinued my Pro subscription so Data Export is not an option but I still download the data from weatherlink.com to WeatherLink PC.  I assumed that I could use the Add a Device option to add the WFL and then delete my WeatherLinkIP device.  In that case I though that a new DID would be generated for the new device (WLF).

From your signature I see that you have several devices.  Are more than one uploading to weatherlink.com?  If so, I have no idea how that would work as far as the archived data.  Could the archive data from each device be downloaded separately?

And to PaulMy...  I don't plan to update to GLOBE but I appreciate the information.

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »
I was referring to the WFL data export tab, not the Data Export Function of weatherlink. Since you already have a Weatherlink IP DID and key you could just input them into your WFL and put your weatherlink IP into storage. If you ever sell it you’ll have to delete it on weatherlink.com and create a new weatherlink IP device so a new DID and key will be generated and then Judy edit them into your WFL.
 The only device of mine that’s reporting to Weatherlink.com is my WFL as it’s the only non Davis device that will upload to weatherlink as it’s the only one that emulates a Weatherlink IP.

Offline WestTx

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
Ah, that makes more sense.  I'm expecting the WFL today so looking forward to get it going.

Thanks,
Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 11:51:49 AM »
I didn't read this whole topic very carefully, because it is too long now :)

You can use your WL IP DID and KEY with WFL, but please don't use WL IP in same time. Just put it into the storage. I have one fryed with lighting.
Best way will be to make second DID for USB logger. Free DID for USB you can use with WeatherLink PC and send data to WL.COM like WL IP. This needs PC, so WFL was made to fix that, no PC running any more.
WFL using DID and KEY from USB logger is sensing data to WL.COM. Then using WeatherLink PC you can download this data every day, week.

WiFiLogger is sending data to WL.COM 1:1. Unfortunatly GLOBE export from WL.COM is not working with WFL. Because transmission from WL IP, WL PC is the same like with WFL. I couldn't find issue here :(.
I have made WiFiLogger feature to export to GLOBE. Works really ok.

Offline WestTx

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »
Thanks for the information, Wojciech.  I'm looking forward to using the features of the WFL.

Les
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:37:24 PM by WestTx »
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
One more thing.

WL IP and WL PC are sending real time data every 1 minute. HiLows also, but there is no changes then no hilows export.

WFL you can control RTD. HILOWS export is every 3 minutes.

There is no problem for WFL to send data to WL.COM every 3 sec. like RapidFire.
Maybe we should test it?

Offline WestTx

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »
I just installed the WFL and went through setup.

I created a new device (USB Datalogger) in my weatherlink.com account and received a DID and Key.  I entered that DID and Key into WFL and Enabled the Upload for weatherlink.com using WL IP but I'm not see any data at weatherlink.com.  It's been about 15 minutes. 

My old weatherlinkIP device has been disconnected.

Edit:  Oddly, weatherlink.com bulletin is now showing wind direction but no other values.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:22:41 PM by WestTx »
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »
I just installed the WFL and went through setup.

I created a new device (USB Datalogger) in my weatherlink.com account and received a DID and Key.  I entered that DID and Key into WFL and Enabled the Upload for weatherlink.com using WL IP but I'm not see any data at weatherlink.com.  It's been about 15 minutes. 

My old weatherlinkIP device has been disconnected.

Edit:  Oddly, weatherlink.com bulletin is now showing wind direction but no other values.

Use WL PC. Click SAVE. This should send activation message.

Offline WestTx

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
Thanks!  That got everything working.  I appreciate the help.

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
Thanks!  That got everything working.  I appreciate the help.

Les

Most WiFiLogger users use WL.COM and WU with RapidFire.
It is just statistical info.
Don't forget about CWOP. Windy.com is downloading data from CWOP. CWOP looks like 1996 Internet kind, but Windy.com looks perfect. Data is the same.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »
I don't think you change anything. I use the wifi logger and it seems to me that when I registered my Davis on WeatherLink, I chose WeatherlinkIP on the data transmission method. Then I entered Device ID and Key ......... In my opinion nothing changes

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »
I didn't read this whole topic very carefully, because it is too long now :)

You can use your WL IP DID and KEY with WFL, but please don't use WL IP in same time. Just put it into the storage. I have one fryed with lighting.
Best way will be to make second DID for USB logger. Free DID for USB you can use with WeatherLink PC and send data to WL.COM like WL IP. This needs PC, so WFL was made to fix that, no PC running any more.
WFL using DID and KEY from USB logger is sensing data to WL.COM. Then using WeatherLink PC you can download this data every day, week.

WiFiLogger is sending data to WL.COM 1:1. Unfortunatly GLOBE export from WL.COM is not working with WFL. Because transmission from WL IP, WL PC is the same like with WFL. I couldn't find issue here :(.
I have made WiFiLogger feature to export to GLOBE. Works really ok.

I have recently activated the data upload on Globe directly from the wifilogger but I have doubts. Following the Globe tutorial, he tells me to enter the
School ID: ORG_ID: xxxxxxx
is
Site ID: SITE_ID: xxxxx

where instead of x there are the data of my website in globe.

Should I use this wording in the wifilogger or is the Site ID and School ID number enough? If I have to indicate the wording as Globe explains, after the ':' do I have to leave the space or not?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 01:37:44 PM »
For my WiFiLogger I have:

GLOBE

School ID: ORG_ID:123456
Site ID: SITE_ID:123456
replace 123456 with your numbers

Both WiFiLogger and Globe must be set at 15 minutes UploadInstructions.pdf (dropbox.com

Enjoy,
Paul

p.s. The above is for my Weatherlink.com account set up for WiFiLogger  Bulletin: KomokaWeather (weatherlink.com)
For my Weatherlink.com for the Weatherlink Live account there is no option to upload to GLOBE Bulletin: KomokaWeather Live (weatherlink.com)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:42:38 PM by PaulMy »

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 01:44:21 PM »
Perfect!!! I had adjusted it well then. How soon did you start viewing your weather data on the Globe portal?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 01:57:04 PM »
If I recall correctly it was the following day.  The update by Weatherlink.com to GLOBE is at about 2:45 each morning when I get the data list and acknowledgement email of what has been sent.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 03:32:47 AM »
If I recall correctly it was the following day.  The update by Weatherlink.com to GLOBE is at about 2:45 each morning when I get the data list and acknowledgement email of what has been sent.

Enjoy,
Paul

I'm not using weatherlink to upload data to Globe but wifilogger directly. Under 'data export setup' of the wifilogger you can also set it to upload to globe. I get the confirmation never from Globe indicated as globe
wifilogger.net, it shows me all the uploaded data. But then when I go to view the Globe map I can't find my data. Where am I wrong? I would not upload with weatherlink but with the wifilogger ....... in practice with the wifilogger I am using all the possible uploads, I just miss Globe

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 07:06:51 AM »

Enjoy,
Paul

I'm not using weatherlink to upload data to Globe but wifilogger directly. Under 'data export setup' of the wifilogger you can also set it to upload to globe. I get the confirmation never from Globe indicated as globe
wifilogger.net, it shows me all the uploaded data. But then when I go to view the Globe map I can't find my data. Where am I wrong? I would not upload with weatherlink but with the wifilogger ....... in practice with the wifilogger I am using all the possible uploads, I just miss Globe

Globe has changed email address where data should be sent.
This email is in firmware. That why you will need new firmware to send data to Globe.
I will send you it tomorrow on priv.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 07:27:40 AM »

Enjoy,
Paul

Globe has changed email address where data should be sent.
This email is in firmware. That why you will need new firmware to send data to Globe.
I will send you it tomorrow on priv.
Ok, will I have to redo all the settings of the wifilogger from scratch?

anything