Author Topic: fix for AJAX updates with IE8 and green-flash  (Read 15195 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: fix for AJAX updates with IE8 and green-flash
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Any hints anyone??
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
I think the issue is probably caused by the number of HTML errata that were in the original USA template page from Ambient (and it's lack of a doctype too).

I've copied the original page and fixed it up so it passes XHTML 1.0-Transitional validation
http://saratoga-weather.org/AJAX/VWS/usa-V2-valid.html   (it's really the .htx file for the page with the AJAX markups) .. view the source of the page and save it as a .htx file for VWS use if you like.

Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Ken
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:00:27 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Koolkid1935

• Powell Wyoming Local Weather
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
There were a couple instances where it used the <p> tag which makes two lines (like pressing enter twice) so I replaced those with just line breaks <br> instead.  I also eliminated the center align command in the <p> tag since the table data tag already contains that information.  My biggest problem, and thanks Ken for helping out as well, is that when I modified the table in the left column to add links to my auxiliary pages, I did something to break it.  When I went to correct it later on I successfully 'fixed' it, though it pushed everything out of the way, so obviously there is still something not right with the code.

I will take a look at yours and see where I went wrong if I can figure it out at all.  It might come down to modifying yours to add the things that I had changed.

BTW - I am using dreamweaver 8 and the <p> tag seems to act as a 1 line break such as the <br> tag does, but FF and IE8 both were interpreting it as two separate tags each with different functions.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:44:04 PM by Koolkid1935 »
Davis 6162C Cabled Vantage Pro2 Plus
VWS14

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">

Mark, you have "4.0" instead, but if you change it to anything starting with 1, I think it will work.

Thanks Kevin!  That got it flashing again.   8-)

I had to make the change using notepad.  Every time I tried to change it using Komposer it would switch back to 4.0 no matter what settings I used.

FYI...  I noticed sometime ago that when viewing my page with the Wunderground PHP radar using IE my location had moved out into the Atlantic Ocean.  Still looked fine though using Firefox.  Switching back to HTML 4.0 brought me back to Ohio.  I think for now until I get some time to sort out the code errata I will make a note on my page that for the 10 second update red notification flash to work IE 8 needs to be set to "compatibility mode".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:59:25 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10