Author Topic: You can now upload to Windy  (Read 25311 times)

Offline Dave97

Re: You can now upload to Windy
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
How does one find PWS on windy? I can only find them with a link. Looking to see if there is any around me.

(Assuming you are trying this on a computer browser). Go to the lower right where there is a horizontal line of icons, just above the model selector. Click on the icon that looks like a thermometer (should say "reported temp." when you hover over it). You should then see temperature icons pop up on the map. Zoom in to the location you want and then click on the temperature.

Gotta say that getting to a whole lot of what Windy offers isn't very intuitive.

Thanks that works. Not exactly easy find i was looking for a PWS layer. :)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »
How does one find PWS on windy? I can only find them with a link. Looking to see if there is any around me.
Gotta say that getting to a whole lot of what Windy offers isn't very intuitive.
Amen.. :roll:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
Windy published an API with commands to get a full dump of Windy stations. This dump produces a text file that is not well formated. It is comma delimited but different records have different lengths and it is just a stream of data without hard returns. So you have no way of knowing when one stations data ends and the next one begins. I generated this export file using their API. Then I massaged the data to insert hard returns by running a filter to insert it for me in the right places based on what I discovered after some data analysis were the first items for a record. Then I had to realign columns as some records have different headers. Part of the difference is that stations that have never reported don't have all the headers, and there are also some other weird stations that I think exist as test data by Windy that were created before the final API rolled out. I'm used to dealing with large data and databases but this was craziness. It was a bunch of gobbledygook. It was certainly a challenge. Good thing it wasn't too much data. I did this a couple weeks ago. I'm not looking forward to doing this again...but I'll probably do it again in a few months to see the growth. Especially now that Weather Underground took away my fun with no access to station database. In Windy's station database dump I found there were only about 358 registered stations and less than half, or about a third or around 112 or so were actually sending data. The majority by a large margin were Davis stations. This data dump only included Windy and not CWOP stations. Included in the data dump was every station's Latitude and Longitude. So you could use this and then plot these on a map yourself. I didn't feel like doing this.

It's still early days for all this. Windy said that they are working on expanding the tools available and I suspect that at some point they included in their web UI a way to see just that an only Windy stations. At this point there are so few that I don't blame them for not displaying it as it really doesn't amount to much.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:24:56 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2019, 05:57:16 PM »
So I don't know if i did it right but https://www.windy.com/station/pws-f06fd58d?39.298,-86.699,8,i:pressure its showing data but the models dont seem to be working
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline mickopla

• Forecaster
    • Waterford City Weather
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:10 AM »
I'm uploading my data via Madis and PWS but i can only view the more up to date data by clicking this link https://www.windy.com/station/pws-f06ffa5c?52.241,-7.140,8,i:pressure,p:off
 To browse the map i only see data from my station via MADIS. I don't see the point in uploading directly if they only list the Madis data when browsing. The odds of people seeing the more up to date data are slim to none.

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
I have 7 weather stations with MB and the configuration is ok. All show that data is being sent to Windy, however just one appear as PWS, the other 6 stations appear as MADIS and if I check at stations.windy.com/stations, for the 6 stations there is no data bein sent. MB says data is being sent and Windy says it's not receiving data. API Key works just for one station or multiple?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:58:17 AM by fredericowessel »
----
Frederico Wessel
My weather site: www.tempoemteutonia.com.br
Brazilian PWSs: www.estacoesdobrasil.com.br

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
API Key works just for one station or multiple?

If I am not mistaken is one per station. I could be wrong.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
API Key works just for one station or multiple?

If I am not mistaken is one per station. I could be wrong.

And how to generate one per station?
----
Frederico Wessel

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
You can use one Windy user account with the one key to send to multiple stations. You just have to upload with some special precautions for each station that is not the primary.

The first station you create on Windy is is station 0. The next station and so on is station 1, 2, 3 ...etc.

The Meteobridge Windy Weather Network tab settings will only upload to station=0. Therefore if you want the Meteobridge to upload to station=1 or =2 ...etc. then you need to not use the MB Weather Network tab settings and instead use the Services tab and create a custom HTTP upload to Windy....where you can then specify station=1 or whatever one you want. If you use the HTTP upload method and you leave out station=0 then Windy assumes station=0.

Look at the first few posts in this thread to learn how to create the HTTP upload method with the Meteobridge.....but don't forget to add station=X to your upload statement.

UPDATE: Newer versions of Meteobridge firmware now let you specify station number.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:27:29 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »
Thanks galfert, it worked! Yes, the only one station that Windy was receiving data was ID 0.
----
Frederico Wessel

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station
Question is what can I do to upload my data to windy.com
I have created a station at Windy.com
is there a software or expansion module that I can add to my weatherlink software so I can upload?
right now I upload to my website, WU, ARPS, Weatherlink
I know from reading the threads that galfert knows a lot about this site
any help would be great  thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:53:11 AM by daddy2425 »
WU
KFLPENSA29  WU is currently Online Again
Got New Station Installed 9-2-22
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
If your data is getting into the CWOP database, Windy is already getting your data.  It may be a bit delayed vs. a direct upload.  But it does end up there.

I have Cumulus, which does allow me to send to Windy.com.  I haven't seen anything for WeatherLink.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2019, 11:30:14 AM »
It is getting to CWOP
how would you check to see if it is getting to windy from CWOP?
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »
Here you are:
https://www.windy.com/station/pws-f068e4cd

Your upload though is not very consistent. You don't actually show up on WU (no icon on map as upload is infrequent). I think it is because you use Wunderground v.1.15 plugin with Weatherlink PC software. That is a very outdated solution.

What type of Davis logger are you using? IP, USB, or Serial?
Tele-Pole

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
USB datalogger
so I am playing around with the setting so there maybe times it is not uploading
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:02:30 PM by Michael M »
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
I would invest in a more reliable upload solution. Since you have a USB logger you could be well served with a Meteobridge. You can even get one with Ambientweather.net license instead building your own. Ambient sells it and calls it a WeatherBridge. You'll still be able to upload to Weatherlink.com via the Meteobridge. You'll also gain ability to upload directly to Windy.com among many other services.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html

That will allow you to upload directly to CWOP every 5 minutes. Currently your upload to CWOP is very infrequent. See graphs:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW7066&last=240

You could also use a Raspberry Pi and give it the USB logger connection and then run Cumulus MX, Weather-Display, or WeeWx. But you'll then lose ability to upload to Weatherlink.com with some (or all) of these. I can't remember which of these (if any) allows you to also upload to Weatherlink.com. All of these upload to Windy.com directly and to many other services.

Also you have an old CWOP ID because it starts with DW but you have never completed the registration process.
http://www.wxqa.com/lastpkt_unreg.txt
http://wxqa.com/inactive_members.txt

Without being registered you don't show up on Gladstonefamily.net. Your data is not being ingested by MADIS and MesoWest also doesn't know you exist.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:07:50 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention that another benefit of updating your upload hardware/software is that you'll gain rapidfire instant live upload to WU. You won't have to rely on that antiquated Wunderground plugin.
Tele-Pole

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
OK Thank you so much for the info galfert
I just sent email to finish Register My Call Sign with CWOP
I like all the ideas and software but I have one little problem I think
My website is all of the gif images from weatherlink software
You can see here it http://mypensacolaweather.com
If I change software I think I will lose those upload images to my website?
Is that correct?
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
Yes with any of the solutions I mentioned you'll lose Weatherlink PC software. With the Meteobridge (WeatherBridge) that will upload to Weatherlink.com but not let you run Weatherlink PC.

To keep using Weatherlink PC software you'll need a second logger for the Meteobridge or for the Raspberry Pi (running any of the mentioned software). I would recommend the WLL as that second logger.

But there is another way. You can look at the new solution as an opportunity to rebuild your website with one of the many great website templates many people use instead of basing your website around what Weatherlink let's you do....which frankly is also looking a bit dated.

Unless there is a way to feed Weatherlink PC data some other way..... I think maybe this might be possible. I'll let others chime in.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:46:14 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
I think you are right
It is dated and maybe its time to change the look of my website and update to a better upload  software
I tried the weather display software trial and that's why my data is so broke up on uploads stopping weatherlink to setup
trying different things lately
oh and for windy.com  I have been manually uploading for testing. lol
also the second data logger may be the way
I have a second Davis weather console that I could hook up to the PC to use with other software
I appreciate all of your info and time
I will make a decision about software and head in that direction
Thanks again galfert
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:16:34 PM by Michael M »
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
If ever you can't decide on software between: Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWx... and you like certain aspects of one versus the other and you'd like to run them all at the same time to take advantage of what you like of each, well you can. All you need is a WLL and you can then run them all. The best part is that they can all run from a separate computer, or more than one instance of anyone of them on a second computer. You can then tinker and not affect the other instance. Then you can even set up test services like a second WU ID and such for any other service, including for your website (where it uploads to a test page).

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:22:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
Well if Davis would come out with some expansion modules for like windy.com and weather.com and a few other popular sites it would be great
but they have not done any major changes for a very long time
Crazy!
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
Good idea!
You are still right about updating my website and using a better software to upload data.
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
I'm going to kick it around a bit and I will let you know what I come up with
Thanks again for your time and info
I got some searching to do
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
I disagree that Davis hasn't come out without anything new. The WLL (WeatherLink Live) is brand new as of this year from Davis. I think it is a remarkable device. It allows you to get all the data on your local network for use with multiple software at the same time. This is very different than the previous loggers that were limited to just one piece of software and could not be shared. Davis certain made the right move with the WLL and by making the local API available which is what allowed all this software to take advantage of it.

Having the data locally lets you do so much more than the choice of uploading to CWOP via Weatherlink.com. You don't want them to add more services via Weatherlink.com. Sure in some ways that would simplify the needs at your end but then there is a middleman (Weatherlink.com). It's better to upload directly to whichever service. It also gives you more control and often extra options and ability to upload more frequently.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:38:08 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole